Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-16-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
Hugger_68SS

Drives: My Favorite: '77 Vette
Service Dep't: Complaint and a Question

Today my 17 yr old daughter's 2010 camaro check engine light came on. She called Onstar for a diagnostic check. They ran the check and advised her to report to the dealer ASAP. Dealer said the fuel pump runs when the key is off. Need to order parts, she will have to leave the car 1 - 3 weeks. He said something about a rental car. On a warrantee issue like this, does the dealer supply the replacement car? My daughter asked the Service tech to call me, they took my number, but never attempted to call. Any way, because she is a minor, they would not let her take a replacement car, they sent her back out on the road with a defective fuel system. Any answers, advice appreciated
Old 12-16-2009, 12:35 AM   #2
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
so she can own the car bring it in for service but cant have the rental ....bs

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
Coldpants
Nerdy one

Drives: #000000 & #FF8000 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugger_68SS View Post
Today my 17 yr old daughter's 2010 camaro check engine light came on. She called Onstar for a diagnostic check. They ran the check and advised her to report to the dealer ASAP. Dealer said the fuel pump runs when the key is off. Need to order parts, she will have to leave the car 1 - 3 weeks. He said something about a rental car. On a warrantee issue like this, does the dealer supply the replacement car? My daughter asked the Service tech to call me, they took my number, but never attempted to call. Any way, because she is a minor, they would not let her take a replacement car, they sent her back out on the road with a defective fuel system. Any answers, advice appreciated
There were laws preventing people under 25 renting cars, but they were struck down but that might have just been in NYS.
Coldpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:05 AM   #4
jstein

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
Well I know that when I was 17 and I was in a wreck that was not my fault by the way, the insurance paid for a rental that my parents just used and I used their vehicles for a couple weeks till the insuance paid us. I know this is totally different, but we were still able to use a rental, just I couldn't drive it and I used my parents vehicle for the time being.
jstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:19 AM   #5
Hugger_68SS

Drives: My Favorite: '77 Vette
What burns me up

The dealership should have kept the car at the shop for safety issues. Defective fuel system. Then given her a ride home. I plan on calling the Service Mgr.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:05 AM   #6
gjordon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS\RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugger_68SS View Post
The dealership should have kept the car at the shop for safety issues. Defective fuel system. Then given her a ride home. I plan on calling the Service Mgr.
Exactly! I hope your dealer realizes what they did was wrong and corrects their mistake. If not, I would ask for the district reps. number and take it up a level. If all else fails, I'd find another dealer if they don't take responsibility. Even with restrictions on rentals\loaners, they still had other options to ensure her safety.

Good luck! Keep us informed.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:48 AM   #7
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
If you can, give your daughter your vehicle & your drive the rental. I read that anyone under 21 is not allowed to drive a rental. I know for a fact if you're under the age of 25 & you rent a car, you pay a lot more per day.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:36 AM   #8
Kurt_OH

Drives: BMW, Hyundai
Well, since a 17 year old isn't even able to legally enter into ANY contract, she should never have taken the car to the dealer for service, since even for warranty work, there is SOME sort of signature/agreement required. Not to mention there's NO WAY they can offer a rental car with all the contract stuff that goes with that. I'm confident that a dealer giving a loaner car to a minor is EXTREMELY rare. My guess is it chapped them off that her parents didn't handle what was clearly an adult matter and instead sent a child.

The bigger question than why the dealership sent her on the road like that, is why did HER PARENTS do the exact same thing, then expect strangers to treat her differently/better?

Sorry - not trying to bust on you; just how it looks from the outside.
Kurt_OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:38 AM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
They should definitely not have let her drive the car off the lot with a defective fuel pump.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:04 AM   #10
philipdistefano
Remember, Remember...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Send a message via AIM to philipdistefano
Under 21 is ridiculously hard to get a rental car. Under 18 is even worse. Good luck!

By the way, what a lucky daughter you have! Hope she's enjoying her Camaro other than the broken fuel pump.
philipdistefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:13 AM   #11
gjordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
Well, since a 17 year old isn't even able to legally enter into ANY contract, she should never have taken the car to the dealer for service, since even for warranty work, there is SOME sort of signature/agreement required. Not to mention there's NO WAY they can offer a rental car with all the contract stuff that goes with that. I'm confident that a dealer giving a loaner car to a minor is EXTREMELY rare. My guess is it chapped them off that her parents didn't handle what was clearly an adult matter and instead sent a child.

The bigger question than why the dealership sent her on the road like that, is why did HER PARENTS do the exact same thing, then expect strangers to treat her differently/better?

Sorry - not trying to bust on you; just how it looks from the outside.
This happened while she was driving and Onstar advised to take it to the dealer, which is what she did, so her parents didn't do the same thing, by sending her out in a defective car. I'm not so sure that she couldn't sign off on warranty repairs since it's not an obligation but an approval for service. The rental car is a different story.
The actual bottom line is, the service department was irresponsible for sending her back out in that car. I don't know of a dealer anywhere that doesn't offer courtesy transport.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:16 AM   #12
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Ok, first of all, it isn't the dealer's fault that your car has a problem. It isn't the dealer's fault there is no parts availability! (common sense here, this is brand new model that is very popular, parts are hard to come by!) Warranty is provided by GM, not the dealer. GM would be paying for the rental, not the dealer. The dealer would not be providing a rental for free for 3 weeks! There are probably fine print rules everywhere at the dealer and GM about 17 year olds driving a loaner. It isn't the dealer's problem that you need transportation. It is their problem to fix your car, but no parts, their hands are tied! I don't mean to sound like a prick, but give them a break! They have no right to "keep" the car. If there is a safety issue they definitely should have told you that. I would call back and see if her car is safe to drive. At 17, isn't she in high school still? Aren't they going to be on Christmas break soon? Can't she just park the car for a bit?
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Can't believe ANY 17 year old female that drives a Camaro, doesn't also have her own cell phone to call her parents herself. Additionally, how many people here have driven days with a service engine light on. The fuel pump issue may have only been a nuisance issue, and NOT a safety one. Just my view

PS The last time I checked, ONstar operator were not camaro mechanics.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #14
gjordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
Ok, first of all, it isn't the dealer's fault that your car has a problem. It isn't the dealer's fault there is no parts availability! (common sense here, this is brand new model that is very popular, parts are hard to come by!) Warranty is provided by GM, not the dealer. GM would be paying for the rental, not the dealer. The dealer would not be providing a rental for free for 3 weeks! There are probably fine print rules everywhere at the dealer and GM about 17 year olds driving a loaner. It isn't the dealer's problem that you need transportation. It is their problem to fix your car, but no parts, their hands are tied! I don't mean to sound like a prick, but give them a break! They have no right to "keep" the car. If there is a safety issue they definitely should have told you that. I would call back and see if her car is safe to drive. At 17, isn't she in high school still? Aren't they going to be on Christmas break soon? Can't she just park the car for a bit?
My dealer bends over backwards for what I need. If your dealer has that mentality you describe, I'm glad it is yours and not mine. I wouldn't stand for it. It has more to do with common sense than GM. Maybe some dealers today don't want repeat customers.