Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-04-2010, 06:22 AM   #1
SKERIS

Drives: Jewel Red 2SS RS A6
Exclamation AFM TURN OFF

Hey Guys

Other than voiding my drive train warranty, Are there any short or long term mechanical problems that might arise if I tune out the AFM?

It is driving me crazy at slow speeds under light loads!!!
SKERIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
You should have no problems what so ever.
Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers/Hi-Flo Cats/Corsa Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI / Port Intake
Precission 2400/2800 Converter/3.73 AAM gears
Livernois Motorsports Tune

Best time: 11.97 @ 117 MPH
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
mthompso

Drives: Silver Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKERIS View Post
Hey Guys

Other than voiding my drive train warranty, Are there any short or long term mechanical problems that might arise if I tune out the AFM?

I'm about to sell the car over this problem. I drive in manual all the time keeping the rpm's up so it doesn't shut down cylinders. I talked to the dealer about it and he said GM would have to initiate a fix before they could do anything. Anybody know what can be done. Thanks
mthompso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthompso View Post
I'm about to sell the car over this problem. I drive in manual all the time keeping the rpm's up so it doesn't shut down cylinders. I talked to the dealer about it and he said GM would have to initiate a fix before they could do anything. Anybody know what can be done. Thanks
There's really no fix because it's not broke... However you can buy a handheld tuner and very quickly turn off AFM. Just put it back to stock when you go in for maintenance. It's highly debated on whether this can be detected and I think it can IF they really look for it, but if your dealer knows your situation common sense should prevail when getting warranty work since this would not hurt your car in any way.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Don't sell. Get yourself a tuner, something like a Diablosport Predator or SCT and turn it off. About $300 bucks and problem solved. Just remember to reload the original tune prior to going in for any warranty work. I have the Predator and it is very simple to use. Mine is an M6 but I have a friend that used one to turn off his AFM on an A6 and he loves the car now. And if you wanted to improve the shift characteristics, some of the tuners will also do that. I think the SCT will, and Predator will soon from what I understand.

I turned AFM off in my Silverado about a year ago. Much more enjoyable to drive, it isn't ever coming back on. Making a small block chevy run on 4 is about the most idiotic thing since the Caddy 4-6-8. I'm sure the tree huggers will love the .1 th increase in mpgs, but the reality is if I wanted a 4 banger I would have bought one.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I am taking my car in to a shop to have a Pfadt sport suspension and Kooks LT headers installed and when they do that, they are going to dyno the car and do a tune including shutting off AFM.

I know this will void my power train warranty. But me wants. I bought the car strictly for the joy of driving it. I'm adding more joy. Ya gotta pay to play.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
Camaro54

Drives: Camaro SS2/RS orange/black stripes
When I had my supercharger installed by MIKE NORRIS MOTORSPORTS up in Indy he turned my off on my L99. It's a different car now. I too use to keep mine in manual mode all the time to help control the noise. When I installed my headers and 3" exhaust it magnified the problem. Find a good tuner close to you who can hook up to your car and and turn it off and while you're at it just go ahead and throw a tune on it. You'll love it. PM me if you have any questions I can help with.
Camaro54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKERIS View Post
Hey Guys

Yup , mee too, but not crazy. Why would we have problems using all 8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coyle View Post
You should have no problems what so ever.
+1
Quote:
Initiate a fix ??? Like what?? I think is they turned down the threashold to like 1000 rpms that would fix it and still leave it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
There's really no fix because it's not broke... However you can buy a handheld tuner and very quickly turn off AFM. Just put it back to stock when you go in for maintenance. It's highly debated on whether this can be detected and I think it can IF they really look for it, but if your dealer knows your situation common sense should prevail when getting warranty work since this would not hurt your car in any way.
Interesting. Is there a counter when you make changes? And if there is that doesn't mean they know what changed? What kinds of turners are good for this ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Don't sell. Get yourself a tuner, something like a Diablosport Predator or SCT and turn it off. About $300 bucks and problem solved. Just remember to reload the original tune prior to going in for any warranty work. I have the Predator and it is very simple to use. Mine is an M6 but I have a friend that used one to turn off his AFM on an A6 and he loves the car now. And if you wanted to improve the shift characteristics, some of the tuners will also do that. I think the SCT will, and Predator will soon from what I understand.

I turned AFM off in my Silverado about a year ago. Much more enjoyable to drive, it isn't ever coming back on. Making a small block chevy run on 4 is about the most idiotic thing since the Caddy 4-6-8. I'm sure the tree huggers will love the .1 th increase in mpgs, but the reality is if I wanted a 4 banger I would have bought one.
Here are some of my questions already answered

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Is it really that bad? I have an LS3 so I wouldn't know but is it that annoying? What does it do to annoy you guys? Does it not switch back fast enough to 8 cyl mode?

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
King Mouse

Drives: EXT
Tune it out. You will not regret it.
King Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #11
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
Is it really that bad? I have an LS3 so I wouldn't know but is it that annoying? What does it do to annoy you guys? Does it not switch back fast enough to 8 cyl mode?
IMHO, in a stock car, it's not that bad. I don't really notice it. The only change I've made to my car from stock so far is a CAI intake. However, many L99 owners who have put on a new exhaust find that at highway speeds, the AFM produces a VERY annoying drone.

Also, the AFM really doesn't produce much improvement in fuel economy. My understanding is that it might add only 1 or 2 mpg. I believe AFM was only put in the car by GM as a gimmick to bypass the gas guzzler label for the car.

I am going to have the AFM turned off when I get my headers and a tune.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Bumblebee View Post
Interesting. Is there a counter when you make changes? And if there is that doesn't mean they know what changed? What kinds of turners are good for this ????
Yes... I didn't want to get this discussion going once again that's why I said be open with your dealer and let them know your concerns. I use Diablo just for this and it works great.

This also doesn't apply to the OP since he's probably already got his answer.

Last edited by mlee; 04-04-2010 at 08:18 PM.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
mthompso

Drives: Silver Ice
Thanks for the good information. Maybe some day too I'll have 3,751 posts.
mthompso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #14
prostock69
Female Muscle Car Nut!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Mouse View Post
Tune it out. You will not regret it.
We did and it's so much better! It was driving us nuts. Besides, we didn't buy this car for the gas mileage.

MODS: Borla "S" Type Exhaust, American Racing Headers 3" Longtubes, New Era Cold Air Intake, HP Tune, Custom Ground Camshaft, Professionally Ported Heads by Darin Morgan, Ported Throttle Body, 3000 Stall Converter, and 160 Degree Thermostat.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/; http://www.darinmorgan.com/; http://www.neweraperformance.com/
prostock69 is offline   Reply With Quote