Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #85
insidethreat07

Drives: 2001 Camaro 3.8
Def some crazy stuff, glad its never happend in front of me. *knock on wood*
Old 07-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #86
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Singed!
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #87
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Had to play a little bit of catch up since my last post. First, I want to acknowledge your fear/dislike of retreaded tires. So I don't want anyone to think that I'm just ignoring your opinions on the matter. But, I feel that people are solely focusing on the "cost savings" of recapping over virgin tires. Their also exists quite a few environmental reasons why retreads are preferred over virgin tires.

We know that retreads are used on fleet trucks, school buses, city buses, airplanes, etc. So if they are used on all of these different types of vehicles why do we not hear more about them? I'll give 250 internets to anyone whom can find me a news report involving a commercial airline tire's retread coming apart. Same thing applies to a city bus tire, or a school bus tire.

All of these different vehicles use retreads, but we only see failure on fleet trucks (usually). Why? Because of improper maintenance and inadequate safety checks. If installed properly, and inflated correctly, a retread should have the same life if not longer life than a virgin tire.

We should not be signing a petition to outlaw retreads, because I'm sorry but that won't happen any time soon. Due to trucker unions and the economical impact it would have on the free market, as I've brought up before. If you are looking to make a difference, and to solve this problem, you want to find a way to change how the trucking industry operates. More frequent safety checks, fines for improper equipment, etc. Something that would cause truckers to measure twice and cut once. Better safe than sorry.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #88
trashauler

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS RS 2008 Trailblazer
If the argument is that retreads kill people and should be banned which I don’t agree with then ask yourself this. Why does your Camaro exceed all nationwide speed limits? Last I knew the highest speed limit in the country is 75 mph yet our Camaro’s can go double that. Doesn’t speed kill people to???

As far as inspections go. I am mandated by Federal Department of Transportation to an Inspection of all my units annually. My drivers are also mandated by the DOT to inspect their vehicle before they leave the yard and also when they park at the end of the day. DOT also has scales set up to inspect my vehicle and many local and state troopers are trained to do random DOT roadside inspections. All information of roadside inspections, crashes, audits, ect is public information. In fact they have an all new way of seeing how safe we are called CSA2010. I sure wish all vehicles were subject to as many rules and regulations as the trucking industry.

As far as cost go. I can assure you that personal safety or lack thereof is not considered at least in my thinking when it comes to purchasing tires. I go by the philosophy that at anytime my wife or kids could be next to or following one my trucks at any time. The fact of the matter is it is extremely cost prohibitive for me to run virgin tires on my equipment and if properly maintained just as safe as a virgin tire. I highly doubt the majority of the people would accept a higher cost for goods and services to eliminate recap tires. If that were the case you would see more Made in the USA stickers and less outsourcing to other countries. Almost everything you purchase was on a truck at some point in its life.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #89
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetreadInfo View Post
Many people often assume that all the rubber they see on the side of the road is from retreaded tires and they also assume anytime they see a tire failure that it is a retread, which simply isn't true.
Thank you for joining in and welcome

I finally clicked the link to the petition, was worse than I thought... no facts only opinion. Looks like something from CRASH or PATT (Trucker hate groups not unrelated to KKK or Black Panthers.)
Quote:
Each year over 2,000,000 retread tires are found along our nation's highways. Trucks travelling 60 mph and over, lose these retreads causing accidents and deaths. These tires are a cheap way of keeping 18 wheelers rolling. When these retreads come off of a tire they come off fast and hard. If the rubber from the tire were to hit your windshield, it could cause serious injury, or even death. Ask the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to ban these tires for use on 18 wheelers.
Really??? Looks like it was written by a child
Old 07-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #90
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashauler View Post
If the argument is that retreads kill people and should be banned which I don’t agree with then ask yourself this. Why does your Camaro exceed all nationwide speed limits? Last I knew the highest speed limit in the country is 75 mph yet our Camaro’s can go double that. Doesn’t speed kill people to???
Actually, it's 80 (West Texas) But that's not the point

I've read all 89 posts in this thread. So far, I haven't seen a single statistic showing the number of people per year that die due to retread failures.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #91
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post

I've read all 89 posts in this thread. So far, I haven't seen a single statistic showing the number of people per year that die due to retread failures.

Good question
Quote:
Year 2008

Fatalities 37,261

Alcohol-related 13,846
Quote:
(Reuters) - Drivers distracted by talking or texting on cell phones killed an estimated 16,000 people from 2001 to 2007, U.S. researchers reported on Thursday.
Quote:
There was 72 deaths in 2008 by retreads, that is the only year that has been recorded. Thanks for doing the ChaCha!

Quote:
Four factors contribute to the vast majority of collisions. In ascending order they are:

Equipment Failure
Roadway Design
Poor Roadway Maintenance
Driver Behavior

Over 95% of motor vehicle accidents (MVAs, in the USA, or Road Traffic Accidents, RTAs, in Europe) involve some degree of driver behavior combined with one of the other three factors. Drivers always try to blame road conditions, equipment failure, or other drivers for those accidents. When the facts are truthfully presented, however, the behavior of the implicated driver is usually the primary cause. Most are caused by excessive speed or aggressive driver behavior.

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 07-14-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #92
trashauler

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS RS 2008 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post

:
Thanks for the correctionI am now thinking of moving to West Texas!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #93
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Don't do it. West Texas is the most boringest place ever. There's NOTHING there. Which is probably why they raised the limit there to 80mph on I-10 so people could get through the suck faster

That's interesting about the retread deaths in 2008, though. 72 people, huh?

That's 6 people per month. Wow. What an epidemic...

Old 07-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #94
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
If it makes tires better - then I am behind it. Guess it could be written by a KKK members child as part of their third grade homework. Still works for me. Not sure who started the petition - im just glad its out there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Thank you for joining in and welcome

I finally clicked the link to the petition, was worse than I thought... no facts only opinion. Looks like something from CRASH or PATT (Trucker hate groups not unrelated to KKK or Black Panthers.)

Really??? Looks like it was written by a child
Old 07-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #95
formare
The Milano

Wow - she really wanted a kiss to duke of hazard a 4 foot wall. That coulda been really bad for everyone. good driving saved a life no doubt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
You don't skskscare me

Looked like a good time to edjumicate the general public on PAYING ATTENTION TO THEIR @#$%^ DRIVING!

You deserve a little explanation of my credentials, I used to teach kickturd noobs how to jam gears and make a right turn in downtown Chi-town without killing anyone, till I decided everyone is an idiot behind the wheel, including me.

Been doing this crap for 25 years, haven't seen it all, but I can smell bull$hit from a mile away.

Here's a good example.. few months ago in Dallas, she jumped a 4 foot barrier to gimme a kiss. If I wasn't PAYING ATTENTION I would have T-boned her right in the roof at 60+ mph... no airbag in the world will save you from that.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #96
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

So, you almost hit a piece of rubber one day, and now every vehicle with a retread on the road is a death trap waiting to happen?

Old 07-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #97
formare
The Milano

I used bing:
http://www.georgiatruckaccidentlawye...tor_trail.html

And found a very similiar story that you seem to be sighting:
http://www.georgiatruckaccidentlawye...tor_trail.html

Or maybe you are citing this one:
http://www.allbusiness.com/safety-ac...1449917-1.html

You missed a BIG fact:

* Approximately 68% of tire fragments were from retread tires and 18% were from original tread tires. The remaining 14% could not be determined.

PS - welcome to the forums - we are normally a light hearted bunch. Early this week a retread tried to damage my Camaro so I am kinda in a vocal mode about that...

Pps - I don't want to do away with retreads; I want to outlaw unsafe retreads. Let's fix the technology and keep the green benefits. I wanna save the landfills and reduce oil usage as much as the next guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetreadInfo View Post
Many people often assume that all the rubber they see on the side of the road is from retreaded tires and they also assume anytime they see a tire failure that it is a retread, which simply isn't true.

In fact, there have been a number of State and Federal studies in which rubber on the road has been collected and analyzed to determine the source and cause of those tire failures. Most recently, The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration published a study in 2008 (Commercial Medium Tire Debris Study - Report No: DOT HS 811 60) in which they collected almost 1,500 pieces of tire fragments from the roads. The study concluded that the fragments they found were from NEW and retreaded tires in equal proportion to their service on the roads and had little to do with the manufacturing or retreading process.

The top 2 types of damage they discovered from the tire debris studied were the result of road hazards (39%) and excessive heat (30%) from improper inflation or other abuse.

If all the retreaded tires on the road today were replaced with new tires, we would still have the same amount of tire failures and rubber on the road.

Retreaded tires are used safely every day on airplanes, school buses, fire engines and ambulances, trucking fleets, taxis, Postal Service vehicles, military vehicles and by millions of motorists.

Lastly, retreading is very environmentally friendly. The manufacture of a new medium truck tire requires approximately 22 gallons of oil, but it takes only seven gallons to retread the same tire. Every year in North America, the use of retreaded tires saves hundreds of millions of gallons of oil and keeps millions of tires out of landfill. More information can be found at www.retread.org.

Last edited by formare; 07-14-2011 at 04:09 PM.
formare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #98
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
The top two types of damage for debris fragments were: road hazard (39%) and excessive heat (30%).

One thing this study demonstrates is that excessive heat (30%) accounts for a large percentage of tire failures. Excessive heat is generated when tires are not kept properly inflated
This goes back to my point about safety being the real issue and not retreads. Point being made here as well:
Quote:
At this time, there is no federal rule on safe minimum air pressures, but the tire industry itself says that running at less than 80% of recommended pressure is dangerous.
Currently their is no regulation of tire pressure in commercial trucking vehicles. So assuming that maybe 50% of truckers check all the pressure of all their tires at regular intervals. That still leaves 50% whom could be driving with under inflated retreads. Being said, let's make the same assumption that maybe 50% of regular people check their tire pressure at regular intervals.

Would you assume that you would see an equal amount of blow outs? I only ask this because the percentages quoted here:
Quote:
You missed a BIG fact:

* Approximately 68% of tire fragments were from retread tires and 18% were from original tread tires. The remaining 14% could not be determined.
are quoted from a blog. Not that I am disregarding the statistic, I would just like a cited source (not Wikipedia). It makes me think of an old New Yorker cartoon