Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Spillz

Drives: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Send a message via Yahoo to Spillz
Summit White-got the green light from dealer to paint it--need input

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if you remember my post or not in reference to my bumpers being a different color than the body.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=136372&page=3

I appreciate everyone's input and decided to test the waters and give my local dealer a look. Well before I even went in to the dealership this morning I prepared myself to go to battle in case they wouldn't agree to re-paint it but without batting an eye the service manager said "he'll take care of it" Wow....I didn't realize it would be that easy especially from hearing about other forum members experiences.

Anyways, I'm scheduled to drop my car off on Monday morning, but I'm a little concerned because the service manager said that you do know that having the car re-painted that it will show come up in CARFAX and that it wont 't be the original paint. He recommended leaving it alone..but its so off I can't see myself doing that. Anything else I should take into consideration? I'm hoping some paint and body guys might chime in and give me their 2 cents worth...

Also, any other summit white owners have their bumpers painted, if so can you please let me know the results..Thanks everyone.....

Last edited by Spillz; 04-09-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Spillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
CamaroSSRSL99
Heartbeat of America

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS, 1967 Camaro
Awesome for you! I went to the dealership a few months back. Had the body shop manager look at my car. He said that if GM tells him to paint, he would. I talked to GM and they said they would get back to me. Apparently, they called the body shop manager and he said that the color was within acceptable variance. GM called me and told me the same thing. I asked them who determines the acceptable variance. I guess the body shop guy did. A bunch of BS if you ask me.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I'd ask that they paint the front and rear fascias off the car, and not do any blending or painting any other part of the car. Some shops will try to blend in panels that don't match perfectly, but if the paint on the rest of the car is fine - best to leave it the factory paint. Doing the fascias off the car will prevent overspray and tape lines all over other parts of the car, just park it outside the shop with the fascias off.

Some shops will use test cards to tune in a color for the closest possible match. Wait for a sunny day, spray the cards exactly like the panels - primer, color, clear, using the booth to bake. Then compare the test card to the car out in the sunlight and in the shop under flourecent light. Then adjust the tinting, and redo a test card. Time consuming, but it's better to adjust the tint on test cards than building up layers of paint on the actual car panels experimenting with fine tuning the tint of the paint.

May only need to do the test card thing if they have trouble matching. Most the time the factory formula matches real close. I had an XM shark fin antenna painted for my car. The dealer just used the IOM paint code/formula from GM and it matches perfectly.

I wouldn't worry about Carfax. You can explain the bumpers were painted because they didn't match. I rather have a matching car than a perfectly clean Carfax. It won't show as collision repair, it will just be a warranty repair.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
My camasro isn't white....BUT i have another that is.....but its a different color white, its got a lot of pearl in it, and I love it. YES its a GM color.....if I were in you shoes, and they were or could paint the whole car, and IF they would paint it DIAMONMD WHITE....I would do it in a heart beat! then I would have Inferno Orange Rally Stripes painted on as well.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spillz View Post
Hi everyone, I'm not sure if you remember my post or not in reference to my bumpers being a different color than the body.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=136372&page=3

I appreciate everyone's input and decided to test the waters and give my local dealer a look. Well before I even went in to the dealership this morning I prepared myself to go to battle in case they wouldn't agree to re-paint it but without batting an eye the service manager said "he'll take care of it" Wow....I didn't realize it would be that easy especially from hearing about other forum members experiences.

Anyways, I'm scheduled to drop my car off on Monday morning, but I'm a little concerned because the service manager said that you do know that having the car re-painted that it will show come up in CARFAX and that it wont 't be the original paint. He recommended leaving it alone..but its so off I can't see myself doing that. Anything else I should take into consideration? I'm hoping some paint and body guys might chime in and give me their 2 cents worth...

Also, any other summit white owners have their bumpers painted, if so can you please let me know the results..Thanks everyone.....
On it showing up in CARFAX It's warranty work and would show up in the VIN history with GM's warranty department, but nothing a consumer would find when running a CARFAX..

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote