Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #1
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
bc coilovers vs lakewood shocks and struts for drag

Besides the adjustable height on the coilovers what is better for a daily driver that sees a lot of drag racing action. How good are the BC coilovers pros and cons. Thanks guys.
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
Jerry7297

Drives: 2018 2SS/ 1LE
I have Megan coilovers on my car and the adjust-ability is good. I do have poly bushings, toes and trailing arms but it does seem the coilovers made a big difference. Meagans are BC relables that do not have as good of a quality control standards as BC.

The coilovers ride good, hook good but will break prematurely to other brands. But I will not go back to struts after having coilovers....

I do not have any knowledge of the pros or cons of Lakewood.
Jerry7297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

I just saw the BC ER coilovers for a fairly good price and they are supposed to be the longest lasting coilovers for the money. I have lowering springs in my car as of now but I really want more weight transfer and plant my rear better since I'm having traction issues even with 18s out back.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Nightmare,
As far as the BCs being good for drag racing, I don't know as I never made it to a track and won't until I get a 9" under my car. They work very well on the street. Well, as well as can be expected with drag radials and lots of power.

I was reading on a GTO (also has IRS) board where people were cutting 1.5x 60' times withe BC BR coilovers but there was a little disagreement on the settings and spring rates. It boiled down to a little experimentation to see what worked for YOUR car.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Thanks for the feedback Blake I'll be ordering some soon enough
Old 05-07-2014, 01:44 AM   #6
Colbyss
2SS/RS

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
I have BCs and mine is a daily. ride is great. haven't had any problems with them.

Sent from my Motorola T900 Talkabout
Old 05-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #7
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Car looks amazing Colby! Does anyone if BC makes a softer/longer spring for the front?
Old 05-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #8
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
BC does offer different spring setups. As far as Drag Racing, the only member I know of that has done it is Caverman. Do a search on his post and you should see what he thinks.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:43 PM   #9
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Yes...I've drag raced with them plenty of times (~50+ runs). I've also Auto-X with them as well. I have different settings for drag racing, Auto-X, and street driving. So far I haven't had any negative issues with them at all and my ETs continue to go down, although I'm changing up the mods fairly often. The coilovers by themselves may not be the cure all for drag racing but they are part of the package to get you there.

I personally like the heck of them. I will say that I haven't had another brand on the car to compare them with but I would definitely choose them all over again if I had to. Just a couple nights ago I gave someone a ride that had never been in a 5th Gen before and he commented right off the bat how good he thought the ride was. I have to agree with him. IMO it rides every bit as good as stock if not better but yet it's dropped 1.5".

I don't know anything about the Lakewood setup but for all around street, drag, and Auto-X I definitely suggest BC coilovers.

BTW: settings for drag racing are stiff up front and soft in the rear to get the car to squat more. I believe it's 20f/2r that I've been using. I have my settings written down in a notepad in the glove box.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #10
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Thanks for the feedback looks like I'll be going with BC coilovers!!!