Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-20-2015, 01:26 AM   #1
faceglide

Drives: gone....
4th theft attempt in 8 months!!

So my car has been attempted to be stolen 4 times since I bought it. Once at the dealership, once near my home, once at work and once at my sons friggin little league game

Lucky me, I read that the camaro5 is one of the highest theft in my area (SF bay area). As soon as I bought the car, I had the dealership install an Advanced Keys keyless ignition. 3 out of the 4 times, they got into the car and simply tried the roll the ****ing thing down the street. Alarm blaring and all.

I even have a $8000 set of custom forged wheels on the car, they have not tried to steel them, they want the whole damn car! It is garage parked, but sometimes I leave it out for whatever reason (this time we had a open top sitting in the driveway and I parked on the curb. I live in a low crime area, but a rash of thefts and home invasions have been plagueing us.

Just a heads up, protect your ride, especially in California. I have a Twin Turbo 370z all fixed up I drive as well, park outside quite a bit, not ONE attempt. It seems our prized supercar is a huge target. San Jose Police Dept says that about 13 zl1s have been stolen this year! In just one city! Stay safe my friends. I am starting to considering selling my new zl1 for fear of it being just towed out from under my feet, or reason for the thieves to enter my home for the key fob .

Geico has sent me a free "the Club", as sort of a gift/joke, I might as well throw that on too....
faceglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:53 AM   #2
harmonyp

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Silver Ice Metallic Manual
I strongly recommend for anyone with a ZL1, ESPECIALLY in the CA Bay Area, to install the Ravelco Anti-Theft Device http://www.carthiefstoppers.com/Home.html.
harmonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:03 AM   #3
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
Glad I don't live in CA. Between unlicensed drivers hitting your camaro and the friggen car thefts.
You can thank Nancy Pelosi and her political party.

Faceglide, i want to see pics of your Z and your wheels. Would you post some?
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:18 AM   #4
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post
Glad I don't live in CA. Between unlicensed drivers hitting your camaro and the friggen car thefts.
You can thank Nancy Pelosi and her political party.

Faceglide, i want to see pics of your Z and your wheels. Would you post some?
Exactly. You put people in office that love illegals, will not lock these thugs up, and what do you expect.
Even if the bums got arrested stealing your car they would be back on the streets in no time.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
The club won't stop anything they cut through the steering wheel

My dads 92 s-10 was attempted to be stolen 3 times. He had a kill switch so they never could get it. After the second attempt he had a plate or around the steering column so they couldn't pop it to start with a screwdriver. The third and final attempt the guy was caught. He said he was stealing it for the cap on the bed. Wtf it was a base model S-10 but they were hot for parts

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:01 AM   #6
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Two words: sanctuary city. I feel for you thats no way to live. Having to worry about some scumbags lurking around just waiting to try and get your car. If I had that much trouble I would have to consider not having the car too.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #7
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonyp View Post
I strongly recommend for anyone with a ZL1, ESPECIALLY in the CA Bay Area, to install the Ravelco Anti-Theft Device http://www.carthiefstoppers.com/Home.html.
Bay area does suck for Camaro owners.....glad they didn't get it.

This dose bring up a good topic though. What is the best anti-theft device on the market for or Camaros.

The one above seems a little bulky with the "plug"....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:16 AM   #8
Enough Already

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1-M6
Quote:
+1
Enough Already is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:19 AM   #9
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Sounds like a theft ring. Don't leave it out and make it easy for them. They drive around scoping out nice neighborhoods looking for easy prey. Lock it up in a closed garage when you're not driving it and keep the door to garage locked. And they don't care for the car. It goes to a chop shop to get parted out so they can sell the parts (including the wheels).
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:29 AM   #10
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I wouldn't be selling the car. I would be moving. Were I live, if a car gets stolen it's talked about for days and makes front page new. That's because it so rarely happens here. Go 60 miles down the road on the other hand, well, different story.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:53 AM   #11
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
Quote:
No doubt a useful deterrent but that won't stop a tow truck with a hydraulic boom or a sliding bed. Pros wanting to steal a car like a ZL1 will use a tow truck if all else fails. Better to lock it up in a garage with an alarm, or move from CA.

Or maybe in a driveway with ya wife's vehicle parked behind it.
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:25 AM   #12
faceglide

Moving is not an option at the moment, if you know anything about the housing costs in San Jose, I am in DEEP on this house. We just bought it a year ago. It was NOT this bad a year ago, but know I'm knee deep in a million dollar home.

Well, in essence, this works like a ravelco, but if they are familiar with the system, i guess they can work around it. A ravelco is obviously solid state and 100%. This problem with a ravelco is that you wil have no alarm sounding off right? In that case, they would have pushed this car half way to kingdom come and back before anyone really takes notice. One other special caveat about the bay area is that unlicensed drivers drive s**t boxes daily and watching them push these things across town, a ZL1 is different, but ni the dark of night they can maybe get away with it.

They are some custom one-off Avant Garde Forged wheels with nt05s all around. They sponsor my other car, so these i got for a bit less than the $8000 MSRP. Car is lowered on APEX springs.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #13
faceglide

OH and those tires, god bless their poor souls, have been slashed during the last theft attempt. I did like them over the oem eagles, less sensitive to temperature, better max grip out of a dig, thought I think the eagles are a better track tire and have more lateral tolerance when nice and warm.

Probably going to try Rivals next, I know MPSS are solid all arounders. Or maybe just r888s since i really dont drive the car much and treadware isnt a huge deal.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:38 AM   #14
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Exactly. You put people in office that love illegals, will not lock these thugs up, and what do you expect.
Even if the bums got arrested stealing your car they would be back on the streets in no time.
That all can be true , but a greater number is stolen by people born and raise in this country , what will you do to them !?
Cut their hands off ,hang , shot all the above or just send those scumbags to another country , I'm open to suggestions
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote