Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
brengeek
Not a dude.

Drives: 2012 45th 2ss/rs
New issues.

So some of you may remember us, we had a 2011 bought back by GM for the convertible issues a year ago. We ordered a 2012 45th anniv vert to replace it. The new car was built on 4/10/12 and we took delivery on 5/1/12.

Past couple weeks we have been smelling a coolant smell when the car is warm, weather here has been unusually warm, too. Dealership is performing the TSB for the replacement of all the hoses and flushing the system. Is in the shop for that right now. Hope that is the correct fix.

Biggest issue is that the right side drive axle let go yesterday and spit out some ball bearings. Waiting for parts to replace the axle.

Anone else have either of these two issues?? Feels like we are just NOT destined to have one of these cars for more than a year!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by brengeek View Post
Past couple weeks we have been smelling a coolant smell when the car is warm, weather here has been unusually warm, too. Dealership is performing the TSB for the replacement of all the hoses and flushing the system. Is in the shop for that right now. Hope that is the correct fix.
I hope so, too...because a friend of mine smelled coolant this Winter and it turned out the heater core was leaking.

When they order a new heater core, they also order a new windshield.

The windshield has to be removed to get to the heater core and the glass often is damaged in the procedure.

I don't know what we did in this life to be sent to Camaro Hell, but...

Oh, by the way, did they flat-bed your baby with the bad rear-end?
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
brengeek
Not a dude.

Well we'll see if the hose thing fixes the coolant smell - if it doesn't then I will pursue the heater core issue. New windshield? GRREEEAAT. GM will love that cost as we have the HUD. Har.

They didn't flat bed it, the flat bed truck was 45 minutes away so they dollied it. I was worried about the splitter on the front.

Attached Images

Old 04-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
rangomr

Drives: Oracle Camaro has all the bells &
WOW, sorry to hear about your bad luck. Mind was built 2/14/12 and so far not one single problem. Bought it 4/11/12 and I love the car. I read a ton of terrible remarks about the Convertible and also with another brand of auto so did not let the comments care me away from the Camaro or Mustang.
rangomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
brengeek
Not a dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangomr View Post
WOW, sorry to hear about your bad luck. Mind was built 2/14/12 and so far not one single problem. Bought it 4/11/12 and I love the car. I read a ton of terrible remarks about the Convertible and also with another brand of auto so did not let the comments care me away from the Camaro or Mustang.
Until yesterday we really had no issues whatsoever with the car. It has 11,425 miles on it. The previous car had 4K miles on it when the clutch slave cylinder had to be replaced, again at 8K miles. We thought we were in the clear with this one.

Trust me, I'm very very glad to hear of the successes! We love our car. Wouldn't have gotten another one if we didn't.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
Michael Rophone

Quote:
They didn't flat bed it, the flat bed truck was 45 minutes away so they dollied it.
HEY! Camaros aren't supposed to travel on only -two- wheels.

Love that little tooth dude out front. Make him your avatar!
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
there is no way i would have let them tow it like that
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
brengeek
Not a dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
HEY! Camaros aren't supposed to travel on only -two- wheels.

Love that little tooth dude out front. Make him your avatar!
LOL I had to really look to see what you were talking about...too funny!!

There ya go, shiny new avatar (once I figured out how to change it..sheesh)
Old 04-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #9
brengeek
Not a dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11fastss View Post
there is no way i would have let them tow it like that
THAT is what GM Roadside Assistance sent us. He did a really good job with it. Gotta give him credit. I followed him in our other car because I was flipping out about the damage that might happen.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:39 AM   #10
Michael Rophone

Quote:
THAT is what GM Roadside Assistance sent us. He did a really good job with it. Gotta give him credit. I followed him in our other car because I was flipping out about the damage that might happen.
The key is to keep the lift angle as low as possible. especially when using the car's own wheels. The dolly is the safest two-wheel tow.
If you've ever watched city tow-truck drivers haul away an illegally-parked car, you'd have nightmares.

My Momma used to say, "Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly."
Old 04-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
Goo

Drives: Cayman S
Quote:
... New windshield? GRREEEAAT. GM will love that cost as we have the HUD. Har...
Quote:
HUD has nothing to do with the windshield... Other then that is where you see the reflection...

I was wrong.

Last edited by Goo; 04-05-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goo View Post
HUD has nothing to do with the windshield... Other then that is where you see the reflection...
My windshield says HUD on it. That makes me think there is a non-HUD windshield.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
There are two different windshields for our cars. One for hud, one without. Make sure the dealership orders the correct one for your car. I had mine replaced last summer and I made them double check I was getting the non hud windshield.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
LessSinister

Drives: 2011 - 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
So some of you may remember us, we had a 2011 bought back by GM for the convertible issues a year ago. We ordered a 2012 45th anniv vert to replace it. The new car was built on 4/10/12 and we took delivery on 5/1/12.

Biggest issue is that the right side drive axle let go yesterday and spit out some ball bearings. Waiting for parts to replace the axle.

Anone else have either of these two issues?? Feels like we are just NOT destined to have one of these cars for more than a year!
Can't says that I had either of those issues. I did want to comment on your tagline. It should read: "Hers & Hers!"
A happy wife is a happy life.