Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #113
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
I am not a tree sitting cop, I am assigned to patrol and drug enforcement...

Now I cannot speak for your state, but citations account for less than 3% of our budgetary chart. Police/Fire income is from property tax from homeowners and businesses...you can complain all you want about that issue, but that concept was created WELL before you and I were born...

I don't know where people get this idea we get directives or orders to "lower" our tolerances for what we cite. No one has ever told me I am required to issue citations...and that goes across the board for my agency, and we are large....traffic units, K9s, Patrol, supervisors all included...

The simple fact is there are a lot of cops out there for their own reasons issue tickets because they feel it is the RIGHT thing to do. Do I s--- myself when I see a trooper under a tree...sure...but ya know what..if I am doing 15-30 over on the interstate it is no single persons fault but MY OWN!! Before I was assigned to a specific unit and started off young I had my own assigned sector. When someone got robbed in that sector, it was my ass...when someone crashed into a tree because they took a curve too hard...it was MY ass again. So you know what I did...I stayed in the areas where that crap occurs, where the robberies happen and the crashes occur. If someone is going 20 over in that area, chances are they would get a ticket. Just to put it in perspective, I average 2 tickets a WEEK and about 30 warnings...but when someone deserves it or talks their way into a ticket so be it...problem is people take it extremely personal just getting stopped..even if they get a warning. We forget about it as soon as we leave because it is a JOB it is not personal and we don't think any less of people when they are honest mistakes....that is why the cop never recognizes you in the mall only 2 days later...

I understand you have been burned in the past and clearly can grasp the concept that issuing citations to people who blow red lights, speed, and have their tint darkened to a point that your respective state feels is UNSAFE to operate is for safety of people around you, but you probably just choose not to accept it....If your tint is illegal and the cop catches you at a red light side by side or under a tree what is the difference? It is illegal? Take responsibility for your actions..

check this out....
http://www.news-journalonline.com/ne...e-working.html

SOUTH DAYTONA -- When traffic-ticket revenues plummeted, officers' activity dropped and crime began creeping upward, police in this bedroom community didn't like the direction things were going.
So Lt. Ron Wright is asking his patrol officers for some accountability.
"I just want them to show me what they do all day," Wright said recently. "If an officer is working for 12 hours, what are they doing?"
His answer: Six pieces of paper daily from each of 25 patrol officers.
"I don't care if they hand in an incident report, a written warning, a citation or an arrest report, as long as I can see something that shows what they've done during their shift," said the lieutenant, who is in charge of the patrol division.
The request translates into a more vigilant patrol officer corps combing the streets of the city, said Wright and Police Chief Bill Hall.
"The main focus in all of this is police visibility," Wright said. "When ticket revenues are lower and officers' activity stats are lower, we have to ask why."
Both men stressed that pumping up officer activity by requiring six pieces of paper daily does not constitute a "ticket quota."
"Ticket quotas are illegal," Wright said. "I just want to make sure that some of our officers are earning their keep."
Wright said he's sure some officers will grouse about the idea, but it's only a gauge to measure their activity.
"If an officer, for example, spends a few hours investigating a robbery or a burglary, and that took three or four hours, that's fine. I know what they did for that amount of time for that day."
Police Benevolent Association President Vince Champion, whose union represents South Daytona's officers, says he's comfortable with the idea, "If it's just a request for officers to do their jobs." But Champion would take issue if officers are disciplined or targeted for not coming up with the requested six pieces of paper.
It's necessary, though, according to Hall, who called the lieutenant's campaign, "a novel approach."
"This is not the South Daytona of 15 years ago, or even five years ago," Hall said Monday. "Some of the criminal element from Daytona (Beach) has been committing crimes here.
Some of the questionable element has also been moving to the city, Hall said.
"When Daytona puts the push on some folks up there, they scatter," the chief said. "We're seeing problems we didn't have 15 years ago."
While the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's Uniform Crime Report for 2009 showed that South Daytona's crime rate dropped 8 percent compared to 2008, Wright said there were a few incidents that occurred in the city during the Christmas holidays last year -- such as more carjackings -- that alarmed him.
"Studies have shown that blue lights reduce crime," Wright said, referring to the blue lights of a patrol car or a police officer's motorcycle. "Citizen's won't speed through our city or commit crimes if they see blue lights."
Interestingly enough, the city's statistics show that since January, 68 percent of the motorists who received citations were not residents of South Daytona, Hall said.
Monday afternoon, two nonresidents passing through chimed in on Wright's plan.
Fran Monte, a Daytona Beach resident who was fueling up his car at the 7-Eleven at Big Tree and Nova roads, said he thinks more police visibility and accountability is a good thing.
"I've seen quite a few officers today," Monte said. "I drive through South Daytona quite a bit, and I think it's a good idea (to see more officers.)"
Although Daytona Beach resident Allen Smith -- who was also at the 7-Eleven -- agreed that police visibility probably makes for safer streets, he said, "There's two sides to every story."
"That also means they're (police) gonna be out there looking for people who are speeding so they can give out more tickets," Smith said.
Whether patrol officers are issuing more speeding tickets, giving out more warnings or simply writing more incident reports, Wright and Hall simply want to make sure their citizens are being served.
"We want to make sure our taxpayers are getting their money's worth," Hall said.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #114
zen

Drives: 2011 CTS CPE & 2010 2LT/RS CGM
I received a ticket in Iowa, for tint, while passing through with Nevada Plates and it was a "five day" ticket to get it fixed. He explained if I was passing through and not staying in Iowa the ticket gets voided after 5 days.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #115
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirotti View Post
Wow, actually just came across this. Apparently effective last winter, it's now legal in Illinois to have 35% (which is what I have). http://www.cartype.com/pages/246/ill...ow_tinting_law

And look at some of the tools that posted in this thread: http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...Window-Tinting

"having only the back plate as a requirement, cracked windshields are okay, and the dangling bandanna from the rear view mirror is totally legal. those will be the new ones. That would suck because tinted windows were fun to pull over.

Driver:Why you pull me over?
Officer: For the front tints.
Driver:thats it?
Officer: Ill find more, hold on.
- that was a fun night. "

Anyone who gets their jolly's off at making someone else miserable has serious issues.
Most police officers are real people, and not given to trivial BS, but.... you can't pin a badge on just anyone, and some of them slip through the psychological testing.... unfortunately, some of them enjoy just that...torturing others, though they are very rare, and they are a cross section of society, not just police officers...

I refused to work with a paramedic years ago and reported him several times, for using medically inappropriate sized IV catheters...

We have a police officer in my town that seems to have specifically targeted my car for no front plate... Yes they are legally required, but show me any other Camaro or Corvette, and most Mustangs that have them. This includes the other officer in the same police department that owns a 2010 Camaro, with no front plate...

I spoke to the police chief, and in this town it isn't a fix-it-ticket...I then asked him about one of his officers that has no front plate on his Camaro.... No reply...

I have a photo of the police officer driving his Camaro with no front plate on public streets...

I have mounted my plate with a hide-a-plate. Unfortunately for the officer that has no front plate, if I get stopped for some other stupid triviality that is commited daily by others and not cited, I will be visiting the city manager and via him, the police chief again... I will explain to the officer that may get an at large ticket, exactly why and because of whom he is receiving his citation....

I would hate to resort to that, and probably still wouldn't... but I have options...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
Old 09-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #116
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Most police officers are real people, and not given to trivial BS, but.... you can't pin a badge on just anyone, and some of them slip through the psychological testing.... unfortunately, some of them enjoy just that...torturing others, though they are very rare, and they are a cross section of society, not just police officers...

I refused to work with a paramedic years ago and reported him several times, for using medically inappropriate sized IV catheters...

We have a police officer in my town that seems to have specifically targeted my car for no front plate... Yes they are legally required, but show me any other Camaro or Corvette, and most Mustangs that have them. This includes the other officer in the same police department that owns a 2010 Camaro, with no front plate...

I spoke to the police chief, and in this town it isn't a fix-it-ticket...I then asked him about one of his officers that has no front plate on his Camaro.... No reply...

I have a photo of the police officer driving his Camaro with no front plate on public streets...

I have mounted my plate with a hide-a-plate. Unfortunately for the officer that has no front plate, if I get stopped for some other stupid triviality that is commited daily by others and not cited, I will be visiting the city manager and via him, the police chief again... I will explain to the officer that may get an at large ticket, exactly why and because of whom he is receiving his citation....

I would hate to resort to that, and probably still wouldn't... but I have options...
I think it's related to jealousy. My father owned a brand new c4 corvette when he was 19, and he got pulled over all the time for ANY excuse a cop could pull him over for... sometimes no excuse, and they just did it anyways because they thought he was a drug dealer.

Again, I'm not speaking for ALL cops, just the douche bag ones. I know there are douche bags and nice people in everything.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #117
noob2ss

Drives: 112SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post

That would be pretty f'd up, not like he's the one ticketing you. Besides that your just gonna paint a big ass target on your car for the entire police department.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #118
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
i run 5% on my vehicles and have only gotten pulled over once. thank goodness it was only a warning.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #119
noob2ss

Drives: 112SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Well you can always move to another country and see How oppressed you really were here...
I hate when people pull dumb ass comments like that, I dont care how things are done in other countries, I know I have it good compared to other parts of the world. I'm simply stating it is a retarded double standard that shouldn't be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
You would just rather get on a forum and complain... logical...
Yes I would, is a forum not meant to express opinions? If I had the knowledge, time and money to attempt perusing and amendment I would.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #120
Hollywood2010

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
as a cop in ohio, there are two basic sections to this law.

(A) The director of public safety, in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, shall adopt rules governing the use of tinted glass, and the use of transparent, nontransparent, translucent, and reflectorized materials in or on motor vehicle windshields, side windows, sidewings, and rear windows that prevent a person of normal vision looking into the motor vehicle from seeing or identifying persons or objects inside the motor vehicle.

(3) Any sunscreening material or other product or material applied to the side windows to the immediate right or left the driver, so long as such material, when used in conjunction with the safety glazing materials of such windows, has a light transmittance of not less than fifty per cent plus or minus three per cent and is not red or yellow in color.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #121
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
these tint laws and , petty car non sense laws are all for money generation..most are antiquated laws...and the the times that they actually mean anything are usually the exception...and i am a law man..i enforce some of this crap.....i try to avoid it, because i hate it..only in extreme cases, do i even cite, my bosses dont like me for it...but guess what i am a civil "servant" not a public tryrant
Old 09-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #122
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadspearo View Post
check this out....
http://www.news-journalonline.com/ne...e-working.html

SOUTH DAYTONA -- When traffic-ticket revenues plummeted, officers' activity dropped and crime began creeping upward, police in this bedroom community didn't like the direction things were going.
So Lt. Ron Wright is asking his patrol officers for some accountability.
"I just want them to show me what they do all day," Wright said recently. "If an officer is working for 12 hours, what are they doing?"
His answer: Six pieces of paper daily from each of 25 patrol officers.
"I don't care if they hand in an incident report, a written warning, a citation or an arrest report, as long as I can see something that shows what they've done during their shift," said the lieutenant, who is in charge of the patrol division.
The request translates into a more vigilant patrol officer corps combing the streets of the city, said Wright and Police Chief Bill Hall.
"The main focus in all of this is police visibility," Wright said. "When ticket revenues are lower and officers' activity stats are lower, we have to ask why."
Both men stressed that pumping up officer activity by requiring six pieces of paper daily does not constitute a "ticket quota."
"Ticket quotas are illegal," Wright said. "I just want to make sure that some of our officers are earning their keep."
Wright said he's sure some officers will grouse about the idea, but it's only a gauge to measure their activity.
"If an officer, for example, spends a few hours investigating a robbery or a burglary, and that took three or four hours, that's fine. I know what they did for that amount of time for that day."
Police Benevolent Association President Vince Champion, whose union represents South Daytona's officers, says he's comfortable with the idea, "If it's just a request for officers to do their jobs." But Champion would take issue if officers are disciplined or targeted for not coming up with the requested six pieces of paper.
It's necessary, though, according to Hall, who called the lieutenant's campaign, "a novel approach."
"This is not the South Daytona of 15 years ago, or even five years ago," Hall said Monday. "Some of the criminal element from Daytona (Beach) has been committing crimes here.
Some of the questionable element has also been moving to the city, Hall said.
"When Daytona puts the push on some folks up there, they scatter," the chief said. "We're seeing problems we didn't have 15 years ago."
While the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's Uniform Crime Report for 2009 showed that South Daytona's crime rate dropped 8 percent compared to 2008, Wright said there were a few incidents that occurred in the city during the Christmas holidays last year -- such as more carjackings -- that alarmed him.
"Studies have shown that blue lights reduce crime," Wright said, referring to the blue lights of a patrol car or a police officer's motorcycle. "Citizen's won't speed through our city or commit crimes if they see blue lights."
Interestingly enough, the city's statistics show that since January, 68 percent of the motorists who received citations were not residents of South Daytona, Hall said.
Monday afternoon, two nonresidents passing through chimed in on Wright's plan.
Fran Monte, a Daytona Beach resident who was fueling up his car at the 7-Eleven at Big Tree and Nova roads, said he thinks more police visibility and accountability is a good thing.
"I've seen quite a few officers today," Monte said. "I drive through South Daytona quite a bit, and I think it's a good idea (to see more officers.)"
Although Daytona Beach resident Allen Smith -- who was also at the 7-Eleven -- agreed that police visibility probably makes for safer streets, he said, "There's two sides to every story."
"That also means they're (police) gonna be out there looking for people who are speeding so they can give out more tickets," Smith said.
Whether patrol officers are issuing more speeding tickets, giving out more warnings or simply writing more incident reports, Wright and Hall simply want to make sure their citizens are being served.
"We want to make sure our taxpayers are getting their money's worth," Hall said.
Are you agreeing with my statement or disagreeing? ..the very first LT stated clearly he just wanted proof his officers were earning your tax dollars..he even stated written warnings and criminal complaints from citizen victims were fine....this is the same mentality my department utilizes. I know citizens don't like to get stopped, but I am very pro-contact. I think every officer should contact 15-25 citizens a day. I, however, don't think any officers should ever be told they have to write tickets or make arrests...but if their zone gets hit with crashes and crime they better own up to it...

Story seems to bounce quite a bit... Smith states that increased visibility of LEOs in your neighborhoods reduce crime..thats all common knowledge. Then he just drops the line "that also means they're gonna be writing more tickets"..
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #123
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob2ss View Post
That would be pretty f'd up, not like he's the one ticketing you. Besides that your just gonna paint a big ass target on your car for the entire police department.
Yes it would, but if you read all of it, there already seems to be a target painted on it, what's new...

Out of fear of repercussions, should I just take it.... I worked 25 years for municipal government... I know how they work... I have seen obvious leanings towards the friends of public servants... "professional courtesy" so to speak... are you saying that police officers are above the law, or that they should be.... I know when to fight the good fight, and when to run away to fight another day...

As mentioned, I installed the front plate, and would probably not pursue ticketing an officer, especially not one that didn't stop me for something he is commiting, but I will also not sit back and be singled out when others are not, just because of what I drive.... If you do, so be it....

I can drive the five minutes it takes to cross our entire town and take fifteen to twenty photo's of very similar situations, and police do nothing about it...

If this was a fix-it-ticket, I would have blown it off... but in this little town, you buy it and it's well over 150 dollars...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
Old 09-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #124
MyIBMssRS

Drives: 10 IBM SS RS/14 1500 Z71
Yeah those cops are real assholes when they're doing their jobs.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #125
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Are you agreeing with my statement or disagreeing? ..the very first LT stated clearly he just wanted proof his officers were earning your tax dollars..he even stated written warnings and criminal complaints from citizen victims were fine....this is the same mentality my department utilizes. I know citizens don't like to get stopped, but I am very pro-contact. I think every officer should contact 15-25 citizens a day. I, however, don't think any officers should ever be told they have to write tickets or make arrests...but if their zone gets hit with crashes and crime they better own up to it...

Story seems to bounce quite a bit... Smith states that increased visibility of LEOs in your neighborhoods reduce crime..thats all common knowledge. Then he just drops the line "that also means they're gonna be writing more tickets"..
Not saying he's lying or anything but here's a piece of wisdom.

There's two reasons people do things. The real reason, and the one that sounds good.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #126
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob2ss View Post
So never mind safety as long as the the driver is able to cool their vehicle a few minutes faster.

Your HHR doesn't have much more glass area than many larger passenger cars yet its still ok.

I'm not arguing the reasons why its ok for SUV's or cross overs to have darker tint but you gotta admit the reasons are bullshit. Everyone should be equally oppressed not some more than others simply because of comfort.
The reasons are not BS, there is a logical explanation on why they allow it.. for some reason though you think it is something they have against car owners...
Inital cooling is not the only factor, it is also how it keeps the vehicle cool while in operation. A Cobalt has less interior space and window area than a HHR but they use the same AC components, so to cool an HHR as well as a Cobalt you would either need more tint on the windows to lessen the heating effect on the interior while in operation so the AC can do as good a job as in the Cobalt, OR they would have to increase the size and capacity of the AC components and that would require it to be heavier and take more HP to operate thus decreasing your performance and gas mileage.
You may want to argue then to put more tint on cars to help, but again when you get to a certian point comparing percentage of window area to interior volume the effort does not pay off any longer, plus then you require vehicles that use the same basic powertrains and chassis to have different major components causing an increase in manufacturing costs that are passed along to you.

Maybe now you can understand now why the Gov. Allows more tint on the rear and side windows of SUVs and similar vehicles than they do Cars.

Closed Thread