Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 03-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #15
c4maroboy
[HOONIGAN]

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1848[The HOONIGAN MOBILE]
lets hope the suede holds up because im never getting out of my Z!!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #16
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4maroboy View Post
POTD!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #17
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4maroboy View Post

I said the same thing about my 2LT then my 2SS, but you know what, I've gone a couple days without driving my SS. And the only time I drive my LT is to put gas in it.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
rickadu

Drives: '03RamDiesel '06TBlazerSS, ZL1 #772
I went with standard Leather and my driving gloves.
ZL1 Victory Red - MN6-RSK-B92-CF5 #772
rickadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #19
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I bet Indpowr would be able to answer this question. Though (and not bashing Chevy or 'Father here either) I feel that DSV Customs material is probably higher quality than the synthetic stuff on ours. But I feel like synthetic and natural suede get cared for the same way.
I have never researched on whether real alcantara like what down south uses is any better or not. It is a brand name. the 2006 Z06 has some DSV parts in it and the color was different on the shift boot I replaces he had DSV and I put the centenial boot in to match the wheel but I could nto feel a Qualtiy difference in my mind but not and expert by any means.

our sectional is ultrasuede which is a brand just like alcantra of microfiber. I actually compared the wheel to all of them and am not sure where GM sources there microfiber but it seemed nice to me.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
THR ZL1 #1
Perma Grinning

Drives: 2012 Tom Henry Racing ZL1
My STS-V seats are 6 years old the the seat looks as good as new . . my fiances 09 Malibu with 50,000 miles has the faux suede seat inserts and alos looks great . . I have no worries.
THR ZL1 #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #21
kbar4782

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 00016
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
That's why I went with the standard leather wrap. It seem the upkeep of keeping it clean would be much easier than suede. The oils and dirt from your hands would make it look bad after awhile.
I thought the same thing and went with the standard leather
kbar4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #22
actireman

Drives: 2011 denali hd2500
I know this sounds crazy, but every vehicle I buy, that I plan on keeping for a long time, I buy a brand new steering wheel and put it in my cabinet. I can't stand a worn steering wheel and all of them wear out eventually. The problem is when it wears out, you can't get a new one anymore. I learned that the hard way. So now I get one right away and have NO worries.
actireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #23
tfghung

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
I have a 9 year old car with Alcantara seats and it still looks great
tfghung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #24
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
I have never researched on whether real alcantara like what down south uses is any better or not. It is a brand name. the 2006 Z06 has some DSV parts in it and the color was different on the shift boot I replaces he had DSV and I put the centenial boot in to match the wheel but I could nto feel a Qualtiy difference in my mind but not and expert by any means.

our sectional is ultrasuede which is a brand just like alcantra of microfiber. I actually compared the wheel to all of them and am not sure where GM sources there microfiber but it seemed nice to me.
Thanks for your comments. They certainly give me a better feel for what to think about

Quote:
Originally Posted by actireman View Post
I know this sounds crazy, but every vehicle I buy, that I plan on keeping for a long time, I buy a brand new steering wheel and put it in my cabinet. I can't stand a worn steering wheel and all of them wear out eventually. The problem is when it wears out, you can't get a new one anymore. I learned that the hard way. So now I get one right away and have NO worries.
It sounds more expensive than crazy, IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfghung View Post
I have a 9 year old car with Alcantara seats and it still looks great
What kind of car?

Just to be clear - I only bring up alacantra because I thought that's kinda' along the lines of what the suede reminds me of. I have seen no reports or statements by GM that this material is anything less than suede - alacantra or not, synthetic or natual... I'm sorry for any confusion. I still encourage anyone with experience regardless, to share, because I know I'm interested

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #25
99firehawk
Order in on 13' ZL1 vert

Drives: 1999 Firehawk Convertible
I have micro-suede seat inserts and some sort of carbon fiber inserts on the steering wheel of my 06 SRT8 and both have held up well (the steering wheel is a little worse than the seats).

When the steering wheel starts to feel smoother (from hand oils, etc) I use wet wipe degreaser hand towels (like Simple Green or Citris type)....which cleans and brings back the "hair" or rougher feel and it is safe for the material.

I was back and forth on the suede wheel/stick option or leather on the ZL1 and am now going to go with the suede for a more uniform complete look with teh dash and seat inserts. Can't wait!!
99firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #26
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Just to be clear - I only bring up alacantra because I thought that's kinda' along the lines of what the suede reminds me of. I have seen no reports or statements by GM that this material is anything less than suede - alacantra or not, synthetic or natual... I'm sorry for any confusion. I still encourage anyone with experience regardless, to share, because I know I'm interested
radz, you may have forgotten but we previously discussed the microfiber "suede" <it's synthetic material> topic fairly thoroughly...hit the search engine and you may find the answers are amongst the earlier posts on C5. Alcantara is a trademark name. Here is a link to the Alcantara website for cleaning instructions.....the man made synthetic microfiber may be closely related from one brand to another.
http://int.alcantara.com/uploadedFil...structions.pdf
Old 03-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #27
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by THR ZL1 #1 View Post
My STS-V seats are 6 years old the the seat looks as good as new . . my fiances 09 Malibu with 50,000 miles has the faux suede seat inserts and alos looks great . . I have no worries.

The problem is, you can't base a steering wheel and shifter off of seat wear. Not unless you are driving around naked, bare skin has a different effect on suede than clothing. Also in my case, my wife will be the primary driver and she uses a lot of lotions on her hands ...
Old 03-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #28
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
The wheel in my Boss got smooth and a bit glossy from use. A suede brush restored it to factory fresh. Probably something you may all want togetand keep in your glovebox.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote