Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Demon Hunter

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LT
Before/After SS Springs on a V6

Did a search and couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any before and after shots of the FE3 SS suspension installed on a V6. Anything will help.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Demon Hunter

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LT
Nobody??? Really? I know there's people out there that have done it...
Old 11-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I'd like to see this as well!
Old 11-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Won't it look like a stock height SS?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
I've got some before shots but haven't taken the after pics yet. I will take them tomorrow and post if someone can give me some "How to post pictures for Dummies" instruction.

My V6 sat higher in back prior to the change, and does look to sit like an SS to me now- level all the way around.

The SS spring is about 1.25 inches shorter than the V6, but is less inclined to compress, resulting in a 3/4 inch drop in my rear suspesion. Front springs looked the same, but the SS strut was about 1/2 inch shorter, resulting in the front sitting down just 1/8 inch.

Measuring from the bottom of the wheel to the highest point on the outside fender lip mine rides right at 27.25 inches on all 4 corners.

The SS endlinks are beefier too, so I got a SS front swaybar (5.9 vs 5.1 for the V6 in stiffness, according to Pfadt) and a Pfadt Balance swaybar for the back.
Haven't had time to shoot those after pics cause I haven't stopped driving...and grinning!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Subscribed.

Good stuff.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
Ventmaster

Don't know if this worked- but first pics should be before and then the after:
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2011, 11:00 PM   #8
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Just go look at an SS.. That's how a FE3 equipped V6 RS looks.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
Ventmaster

Had to post one slightly more complimentary "after" shot:
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
It looks much better. Can you do a driving impression compare contrast, V6 suspension to SS?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
Ventmaster

Be happy to sir!
I started susp. upgrades with just a Pfadt Balance swaybar on the back (sorry Pete).
I was shocked at the improvement and looked for the next best upgrade for me. The Pedders book made sense and with Australia's greater development time with the Zeta platform I figured they knew what they were talking about.

I'm not an autocrosser so I went with Pedders rear subframe bush inserts and radius arm inserts- Wow, another big improvement. The rear felt firmer but finally I could "goose" it going around a corner and not feel like I was going to have to correct for a slide as the rear end stepped out- it just went. And the steering sharpened too- first time I "flicked" the wheel to check it out, I damn near drove off the road!

It's hard to stop as you enjoy your car more and more- you can drive more quickly without drawing attention if your car's not all "out of shape ".

Next I was thinking drop springs, but the V6 has had so many strut changes many maker's don't offer them for the car. The common solution is to change to SS struts/shocks and then drop. I guess it was just timing, but several C5 members were having trouble with noise issues and some others voiced harsh ride complaints with their new springs.

So I decided to try SS springs with my new struts. I new they had a higher spring rate than the V6's and thought they might offer the best compromise for me. They did.

Handling is bliss for me now- just firm enuff without getting intrusive. Enough ground clearance that I don't have get tense every time I go up a driveway. The car seems to exceed the sum of its parts. Totally controlled without drama even when my pucker factor is off the charts!
Old 11-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Be happy to sir!
I started susp. upgrades with just a Pfadt Balance swaybar on the back (sorry Pete).
I was shocked at the improvement and looked for the next best upgrade for me. The Pedders book made sense and with Australia's greater development time with the Zeta platform I figured they knew what they were talking about.

I'm not an autocrosser so I went with Pedders rear subframe bush inserts and radius arm inserts- Wow, another big improvement. The rear felt firmer but finally I could "goose" it going around a corner and not feel like I was going to have to correct for a slide as the rear end stepped out- it just went. And the steering sharpened too- first time I "flicked" the wheel to check it out, I damn near drove off the road!

It's hard to stop as you enjoy your car more and more- you can drive more quickly without drawing attention if your car's not all "out of shape ".

Next I was thinking drop springs, but the V6 has had so many strut changes many maker's don't offer them for the car. The common solution is to change to SS struts/shocks and then drop. I guess it was just timing, but several C5 members were having trouble with noise issues and some others voiced harsh ride complaints with their new springs.

So I decided to try SS springs with my new struts. I new they had a higher spring rate than the V6's and thought they might offer the best compromise for me. They did.

Handling is bliss for me now- just firm enuff without getting intrusive. Enough ground clearance that I don't have get tense every time I go up a driveway. The car seems to exceed the sum of its parts. Totally controlled without drama even when my pucker factor is off the charts!
Hope you have a great Thanksgiving with your family and friends.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote