Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-13-2014, 01:20 AM   #15
YoungMulaBaby

Drives: Camaro 2014 2LT
This may be a heck of a stupid question, but any chance the Fortin THAR-GM1v2 would work on a 2014 camaro? Or any of the three items required, for that matter?
YoungMulaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #16
TofuDragon

Drives: 2010 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMulaBaby View Post
This may be a heck of a stupid question, but any chance the Fortin THAR-GM1v2 would work on a 2014 camaro? Or any of the three items required, for that matter?
From what I can gather from the Fortin website (http://fortin.ca/), yes it does (99% sure)! I've edited my info above accordingly. It doesn't say anything about v2 though, so I'm assuming it's all v2 now for the GM1 T-harness. If you want to be 100% sure though, feel free to email them directly.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #17
TofuDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownfogger540 View Post
does remote start still work ?
Don't know if stock GM remote start will still work, but the new system has remote start functionality built in. You just have to wire it up.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #18
Chaxce
Under construction...

Drives: Black 2012 2SS
Just a clarification: in cars with manual transmissions do you have to press clutch and brake for push to start?
Old 08-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #19
layzurguy
Ride On!!!!

Drives: 2012 SS Ragtop
Old 08-14-2014, 04:32 PM   #20
TofuDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaxce View Post
Just a clarification: in cars with manual transmissions do you have to press clutch and brake for push to start?
Yes, mine is a manual transmission and I have to hold both the clutch and brake like normal.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #21
YoungMulaBaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuDragon View Post
From what I can gather from the Fortin website (http://fortin.ca/), yes it does (99% sure)! I've edited my info above accordingly. It doesn't say anything about v2 though, so I'm assuming it's all v2 now for the GM1 T-harness. If you want to be 100% sure though, feel free to email them directly.
I emailed Fortin.. This is basically the reply I got (in case anyone else that wants to follow the DIY):
"The THAR-GM1 is the old model of the THAR-GM1v2. This harness is to be used with an EVO-ALL and is wired to allow the addition of a remote start system or using the EVO-ALL to remote start the vehicle using the OEM remote."
Old 08-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #22
calinkaos
Army EOD Vet

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS blk/blk/blk
I assume its like ACD174's set up, or at least sounds similar enough, would the button be able to be place in the original key ignition location as he did?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153796
Old 08-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #23
YoungMulaBaby

Quote:
In order to leave the cut key in the ignition without draining the battery, there is some extra wire cutting/splicing to do. I did all the cuts on the t-harness instead of the actual car wires. Oh, and the cut key is removable if needed to re-enable steering lock... and then you can use your normal key as a failsafe.
When you said you did the extra wire cutting/splicing, do you mean the cutting the extra wires off of the CAN bus and splicing the brown wire with the green wire?
Old 08-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #24
TofuDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by calinkaos View Post
I assume its like ACD174's set up, or at least sounds similar enough, would the button be able to be place in the original key ignition location as he did?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153796
From what I could gather from that initial post from ACD174 in 2011, they installed an earlier version of the same kit. Although they hooked it to a Viper alarm system, apparently, and the current Advanced Keys kit has alarm functionality built in.

To put the button where the original ignition used to be, you'd need to remove/relocate the original key ignition somewhere. It's a large metal piece which I didn't look into how to remove. It's also not recommended by Advanced Keys because unless you do it right, you could lose key functionality altogether and not have a backup way to start the car. Up to whoever installs it though.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #25
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
How does remote start work on a manual transmission?
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #26
TofuDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMulaBaby View Post
When you said you did the extra wire cutting/splicing, do you mean the cutting the extra wires off of the CAN bus and splicing the brown wire with the green wire?
As of 8/16/14, I haven't posted that step of the install yet (disabling the Keysense from the ignition so a cut key can be left in there). I was just answering the question asked earlier; it has nothing to do with the CAN bus section. Sorry if it was confusing.

During the week I don't have much free time with my job, and sometimes I'm even more busy on weekends. However I'm already committed and WILL finish this DIY. I'll answer any extra questions about the setup or install as I go.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #27
TofuDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
How does remote start work on a manual transmission?
Sorry, I haven't figured this part out yet. Other forum members who installed other remote starts have been able to do so with a clutch bypass method, using some resistor somewhere... but I don't know how they did it exactly. Then there's the question of even if I could, should I, etc, etc, which I'd rather not get into. For this Advanced Keys kit though, if wired up correctly, you'd just hold the remote start button on the fob and the car starts.

Last edited by TofuDragon; 08-16-2014 at 04:24 PM.
TofuDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #28
TeelsBlack

Drives: 2013 Black-on-Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Sorry, I haven't figured this part out yet. Other forum members who installed other remote starts have been able to do so with a clutch bypass method, using some resistor somewhere... but I don't know how they did it exactly. Then there's the question of even if I could, should I, etc, etc, which I'd rather not get into. For this Advanced Keys kit though, if wired up correctly, you'd just hold the remote start button on the fob and the car starts.
Exactly, imo it's almost not worth it to have a remote start in a manual. You'd have to leave your car parked in neutral at all times for it to work. I don't have enough faith in the parking brake for that.