Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #29
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalStorm View Post
if you think that is bad.... how about my 2007 mustang where there is no way to open the trunk from inside..they only way to open the trunk is by the key fob or opening it up with the actual key... It is a PAIN IN THE ASS....
Sorry, but having to find the button on the fob isn't nearly as annoying as contorting yourself through the back seat of a 2-door car to reach the inside latch release. Minor nuisance at best (and there is a mod for an inside release button that I'm not going to go into here).

Just because something can be done a certain way is not in and of itself justification for actually doing it that way. Technology is good only to the extent that it doesn't create annoyingly new ways to trip over its own shoelaces.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #30
10forty2

Drives: 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer
A cable extension that can be pulled from inside the cabin sounds like a top-selling after-market product idea to me!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #31
NorCalStorm

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Sorry, but having to find the button on the fob isn't nearly as annoying as contorting yourself through the back seat of a 2-door car to reach the inside latch release. Minor nuisance at best (and there is a mod for an inside release button that I'm not going to go into here).

Just because something can be done a certain way is not in and of itself justification for actually doing it that way. Technology is good only to the extent that it doesn't create annoyingly new ways to trip over its own shoelaces.

Norm
that is very true... but then what happens when you lock your keys in your trunk on accident because you are constantly going into your trunk to get stuff out of it? or what about when you lose the key fob and now if your friend needs to get his gear out of the trunk you need to turn the car off then go unlock the trunk and get back in and restart the car...and when all of this stuff happens consistently, i do believe it is a pain in the ass and more of a nuisance than climbing through the back seat to reach the latch one time.
NorCalStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #32
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalStorm View Post
that is very true... but then what happens when you lock your keys in your trunk on accident because you are constantly going into your trunk to get stuff out of it? or what about when you lose the key fob and now if your friend needs to get his gear out of the trunk you need to turn the car off then go unlock the trunk and get back in and restart the car...and when all of this stuff happens consistently, i do believe it is a pain in the ass and more of a nuisance than climbing through the back seat to reach the latch one time.

OnStar... oh wait you have a Furd...
Old 04-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #33
NorCalStorm

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
OnStar... oh wait you have a Furd...
yeah haha...im moving over to the dark side in a couple of weeks... (well for mustang owners the camaro is the dark side haha) the ring at the top of my key fob snapped so i had the actual key and had to carry around just that little square keypad and it ended up falling out of my pocket somewhere out of town...so now its a pain in the booty haha
NorCalStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #34
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmaster View Post
So... I decide to leave my battery unplugged overnight to reset the computer after installing my K&N. I throw everything back into the trunk, close the trunk and head to bed.

In the morning I come back to throw the negative cable back on, and after about 3 minutes of shuffling around I figure out there is no way to get the trunk open without the car being powered.

At first I freak, then I remember the back seats fold down and the trunk has a trunk release. So here I go looking like a retard climbing into my car through the back and into the trunk...

I get it opened no biggie but I'm still shaking my head trying to understand why a manual open latch wasn't designed into a car with a trunk battery....

Anyone else ever have this happen to them?
Yea like you would turn the truck bowtie and a keyhole would be under it like on on old Caddy. (however this would make the trunk bowtie delete not possible)
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #35
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmaster View Post
So... I decide to leave my battery unplugged overnight to reset the computer after installing my K&N. I throw everything back into the trunk, close the trunk and head to bed.

In the morning I come back to throw the negative cable back on, and after about 3 minutes of shuffling around I figure out there is no way to get the trunk open without the car being powered.

At first I freak, then I remember the back seats fold down and the trunk has a trunk release. So here I go looking like a retard climbing into my car through the back and into the trunk...

I get it opened no biggie but I'm still shaking my head trying to understand why a manual open latch wasn't designed into a car with a trunk battery....

Anyone else ever have this happen to them?

I have a vert. The seats don't fold. I guess I will be screwed if this happens to me.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #36
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algeron View Post
I have a vert. The seats don't fold. I guess I will be screwed if this happens to me.

no you have a manual trunk release on the driver's side rear seat behind the seat back:

use your key to operate:

Old 04-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #37
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Quote:
no you have a manual trunk release on the driver's side rear seat behind the seat back:

use your key to operate:

Cool. I just learned something new. Will check it out in the morning when the rain stops.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #38
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

use your key to operate:
since when has that been there? lol
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #39
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Convertibles have one, us coupes don't get a manual release.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #40
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Convertibles have one, us coupes don't get a manual release.
yeah it's a convertible thing..
Old 04-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #41
Who Dat 2SS

Drives: Bitches Crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algeron View Post
Actually... I have a vert and had an embarrassing trunk snafu that I won't go into, but you can actually reach past the back seat, under the back window and grab the child lock release and open the trunk. There really isn't any divider between the trunk and the cab in a vert other than a strategically placed piece of fabric.

Sent from my iPad
http://www.h-towncamaroclub.com

2011 2SS Convertible Black on Black on Black, Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger, LS3 Conversion, LS9 Cam, Kooks Ceramic Coated Headers, LS3 Exhaust, Roto-Fab CAI, BMR Sway Bars and Bushings, JDP Color Changing Halos with Synced Grill Lighting, Custom Magnetic Removable Front Plate
*** RECORD HOLDER - FASTEST 3 WHEELED, 7 CYLINDER CAMARO LAP TIME AT MSR ***
Who Dat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #42
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

yeah but there really isn't a need to do all of that because you have a release as I stated a few posts up.

and that release works regardless of whether the top is secured or not, if the top gets stuck 1/2 way or whatever, you can still pop the trunk.

I don't know about you guys, but my dealer went over all this when I bought the car.

They showed me how to release the top and operate it in manual mode, where the trunk release was, etc.

The only thing I can see being an issue, is if you lock the keys in the trunk.. OnStar can fix that issue if you have it (or the onstar app).

and if all else fails and you lock the keys in the trunk with the car locked and the battery disconnected.. well.. AAA, Roadside, or a nice rock and a smashed window.. take your pick.