Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
6LITEREATER

Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28 NBM
2010 Camaro, first round of mods RS (old school) style headlight covers...

We were only working out the design so we just used scrap ABS to see what looked best but finished product will be stainless steel or powdercoated (grey texture to match the grille or body color) aluminum.

Here she is going on the rack...

Jameel knew it would be a long day when he saw me show up at 10am with doughnuts...

The "to-do-list" for the day was headlight covers, interior gauge plate, CAI, axle back exhaust and splitter. Well, the splitter was still being finalized so all we did was mock up a cardboard template (to design mounting holes) with coffee cans, lol...

...and other than that the parts we needed weren't in for anything else so we just played with the headlight covers.

Came up with two designs, one on the left is a modern version of the old school three slat RS and the one on the right is my version that just follows the lines of the grille...

This will give you an idea of what my style, body colored with black metal mesh inside would look like (for that "race" look)...

Here's the inverse, black with body colored mesh grille...

"RS" style...

For the heck of it we did one body color...

Back in black...

Just playing around on the machine...

RS style with headlights on (notice we made matching pieces for the foglights)...

6LE Style with the lights on (this was a prototype piece before we got the center bar angle to match the grille)...

Right now we are thinking about three mounting options:

1) Bolt to the headlight using existing headlight bracketry. Only problem is it takes a LOT to remove these headlights (unless I'm missing something) and I doubt the average person is up for that...

2) Clip to the bumper the same way factory grille does (again would require a lot of work on owner's part to get access)...

3) Double sided 3M tape made to resist heat. Easy, cheap, and easily removed.

Option 3 would keep SHIPPED price around $150 for the pair AT MOST (and that would be for stainless steel or powdercoated)...

Anyways, thoughts? Again, these were just rough ABS prototypes to see if we even like the idea at all...
6LITEREATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
Batmaro

Drives: Black Camaro SS/RS
I would like to see the single bar cover with the heritage grill. Not a fan of 3M tape, but that could be an option for initial installation until somebody gets one and figures out an alternate way of mounting.

Please PM me when you come close to production.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
6LITEREATER

^^I already have all three mounting versions just up to buyer how involved in mounting these they want to get...

Can you post a pic of the heritage grille in here? I've never seen it (noob)... :(
Old 08-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Batmaro

Drives: Black Camaro SS/RS
Here is a picture of the heritage grill.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
6LITEREATER

Yeah, I just did a search and saw this...

I'm not really a fan of that grille personally. I just really dig the stock one for some reason.

Regardless, we have the shape in the computer now so whatever the customer wants it to look like (our RS, my 6LE, old school RS, heck even the "shocker" symbol) we can easily do for a little more (like $25)...
Old 08-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Personally I'm not a fan but I also like the high wing spoiler, full phantom grill, and hate gfx so... I'm sure that there are others that will like it .
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
camaro guy

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
WTF? Who would put that on their car? Dumbest mod I've seen yet.
camaro guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro guy View Post
WTF? Who would put that on their car? Dumbest mod I've seen yet.
Apparently the creator of this thread. However it is not dumb. It is striving for a classic look. So far the single bar crossing over the headlights is the best looking as I like minimal design mods. The others are simply too radical for my tastes but others might like them..
Old 08-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
That's pretty cool...the grill needs to match though and then it would look killer!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
That's pretty cool...the grill needs to match though and then it would look killer!
Not a fan of this, but yea, the horizontal lines of the headlight covers have to line up with the horizontal ines of the grill in order to look coordinated.

Not really liking the fog/driving light covers either - especially with the light shining around the outside.

Just my 2 cents....and speaking of money $150 seems high.

Mine at sunset

Last edited by KJS; 08-08-2009 at 11:40 PM.
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #11
gtwss
Time To Hammer Down

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 02 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS View Post
Not a fan of this, but yea, the horizontal lines of the headlight covers have to line up with the horizontal ines of the grill in order to look coordinated.

Not really liking the fog/driving light covers either - especially with the light shining around the outside.

Just my 2 cents....
I agree, the lines don't even come close to lining up. Needs a whole lot of work to even come close. As is, no way for me.

2SS, CGM, M6, Polished Wheels
6000 8/13/09
gtwss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:22 AM   #12
6LITEREATER

Man people, PLEASE READ THE THREAD, I said already that the pic I showed was the wrong prototype pic, the line lines up with the grille (on my stile with only two slats)...

Anyways, opinions (that are grounded in the truth of the product) are welcome as I myself am on the fence...
Old 08-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #13
glambert1
HOMER

Drives: 2010 camaro 2LT RS SIM
not something I would like
Old 08-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #14
6LITEREATER

^^Yeah, I'm leaning away from them... If I liked the idea I was going to have it molded out of tinted lexan locally so that they would snap on (like old school black outs) but am just not feeling them.

Oh well, I'll have pics of our spoiler very soon... THAT I think a lot of people will like