Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
Yellow SS Vert?

Hello all,

I'm going to look at a new 2011 2SS/RS yellow convertible in the morning. Yes it's a 2011 still on the lot, lol. The guys that own the dealership do pretty good on trading and dealing, and I'm going to see what kind of a deal I might could strike. Those of you with yellow, how do you like it? Does it ever get old to you? I would probably plasti dip the wheels, put some black GFX on and hockeu stripes IF I got it.

Also, with the 2011 verts, anything in particular I should look for?
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:48 AM   #2
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
How bout those of us without yellow, I wish my car was yellow or summit white, and I'm serious, I think that yellow is sharp

I want to say something at is not at all meant to be negative, but constructive. My concerns about the car would be what mileage is on it and how it has been driven, test driven or by salesmen. Also if it has been sitting outside for that long and not properly cared for. So nothing really your going to be able to tell by how many miles is on it, plus it'll have the same factory warranty, so whatever, but look really closely all over the car looking for paint damage.

And, if it has a few miles or any kind of paint imperfections, use that to drive that price down and get you a great deal on a cool car. That's my word on it.

I am way surprised it is till sitting there. A dealership near me finally got tired of a 2012 ZL1 and sent it to auction. I wish I could have checked the VIN on it, I'll always wonder what happened to that car.

Best of luck to you screwing the sales manager out of money!
Old 05-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
Its a toss up for me, yellow or green. Both colors really pop. I had never heard of a green vert and my friend already owned a 2010 LT, so I bought Silver.

Now I do not own a yellow but my friend has owned one since 2010.

First off people are going to constantly be pointing and looking at your car. Be prepared for finger prints and smug marks on the glass. Seriously! I know that Camaro's have been out for a few years now, but people still flag Dave down, ask him about his car. and KIDS LOVE that car. Just be OK with the fact that a yellow Camaro is going to be referred to as "bumble bee" by 99% of the public.

and this color stands out, people see that yellow from a very long ways away on the highway. The car sticks out in a parking lot as well.

I have found that its an easy color to keep clean and even if it gets a little dirty the car still looks good. Just the yellow does not "pop" as much if you get it dirty, say driving it in the rain.

Personally I think yellow needs something to break up the colors, black strips look great on this color. I have seen white but I liked the matte black better.

Here is a picture of my car with Dave's car at a wedding in Jan 2013. You can see even beside another Camaro, the yellow Camaro still stands out. Also both cars are a little dirty, since we drove about 20 miles in mild winter weather with some rain. And they both still look photo great.

If you want a car that will get you lots of attention, yellow is awesome. If you have Agoraphobia (fear of crowds) or Anthropophobia (fear of people) I recommend staying away from yellow!

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
who...me?

Drives: 2010 2SS
I've had mine for a couple of months now. Yellow is definitely an attention getter. The funny thing is the reaction from kids that have grown up with the Transformers movie. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a kids eyes light up while saying "Bumble Bee".

It's easy to spot in a parking lot too.
who...me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
dwinva

Drives: 13 2SS/RSvert,CRT,dual-mode exhaust
One other thing...SOME verts had top issues before a seemingly final fix came out in Feb. 2012. Not every one had an issue, but those that did had a lot of problems with GM owning up to it and taking care of it. Another post this morning talked about a 2011 vert for sale. Just be cautious. I have had no issues with my 2013, but this was after the fix came out. If possible, get the dealer to warranty this for you. Explain that you know about the top issues of the past and see if they'll agree to just REPLACE the top for you should you have any issues. (As opposed to going through their steps to try before replacing the top.)

Hope it works out...driving the vert is a BLAST.
dwinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
Many 2011 convertibles have had some top issues so look over the top carefully and make sure any top TSB has been done. Look for rub marks or holes over the driver and passenger door area. Not all are bad but inspect carefully. The GM extened warranty does not cover the top.

Some have had total top replacements several times and a lot of problems. Others like myself have had minor issues like rub marks the TSB fixed and I have also had the 5th bow break on mine. It was fixed under the factory warranty period. If you get it and do have top issues see if your dealer can get GM to extend the top warranty. I did this and got 4 years added from the date of my 5th bow replacement. I love mine and would buy it again so don't let horror stories stop you from getting it if it's a good deal. I will tell you the convertibles still attract a lot of compliments where ever I take it.
zandron263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
The only reason I got a camaro was because it came in yellow. I also like summit white alot too, would have settled for that no problem.

...bottom line is if you like a car that stands out, then you'll love the color.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
77rs

Drives: '13 SS/RS conv. RY
Yellow never gets old. It's bright just sitting in the garage! Polished wheels set it off!
77rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Being a New Yorker I would never get yellow every damn taxicab in the city is yellow.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
Hey guys sorry I never responded. I went with my dad today and took it on a good test drive. Here's the details:

Loved it, after I actually played around with it I felt the power. I like it, after going from it to my 6, I can definitely tell a difference. The 6 is still a quick car but the SS felt a little tighter and gave a bit more pull, and I absolutely am in love with that sound.

The car has 125 miles on it. It was empty when I got in it so the dealer gave me a ticket to go up the road and put some in, I put in premium.

The only complaints is that the wind noise is a little loud, I'm assuming that is from the fact that its a convertible? I noticed too in mine you can floor it and once you hit 60-70 and let off you'll coast smoothly. In the vert when I let off I felt a tiny bit of a jerky halt before it started coasting smoothly. The Brembos were amazing. It drove the same yet I could feel the difference when I hammered down on it.

There was also a small crack in the window, I'd have to get that fixed.

Bottom line, it's a 2011 and no incentives. My 2011 has everything you could ask for in one and it has 30,000 miles. They're asking $13,800 difference. That's not terrible, but as soon as I sign, I have a 2 year old car. I saw a used 2012 with only 20k miles selling for 31k, and they're asking 41k for theirs. It doesn't seem like a bad deal, but it's not 100% what I want. I thought, you know if I could trade for 8-9k, I would prob pull the trigger. I'm still looking!!
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
I think 41k for what will soon be a 3 yr old model car is way too high. Even if it was never registered I personally would pass on it at that price.
zandron263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #12
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
You're talking about them needing to come down $3000-$4000 to make a eeal. I'd have flat said what you told us to the salesman and left. Maybe motivate to call you and make the deap. But as far as the wind noisr, maybe its normal. Go test drive a '13 vert and see if its the same just for a reference point. And no matter what, if its a new car it needs to look new so they would need to fix thst window, at no cost to you. But don't bring that up until after a deal is done.

But if you'd be happier looking for something newer then that is what you have to do.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
bowtiefamily

Drives: Chevrolet
If your going to spend the money, get exactly what you want. Even if it is a little more money then you planned on, it will be well worth it and you'll be completely satisfied. So find the perfect car for you.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by plus1zero View Post
Hey guys sorry I never responded. I went with my dad today and took it on a good test drive. Here's the details:

Loved it, after I actually played around with it I felt the power. I like it, after going from it to my 6, I can definitely tell a difference. The 6 is still a quick car but the SS felt a little tighter and gave a bit more pull, and I absolutely am in love with that sound.

The car has 125 miles on it. It was empty when I got in it so the dealer gave me a ticket to go up the road and put some in, I put in premium.

The only complaints is that the wind noise is a little loud, I'm assuming that is from the fact that its a convertible? I noticed too in mine you can floor it and once you hit 60-70 and let off you'll coast smoothly. In the vert when I let off I felt a tiny bit of a jerky halt before it started coasting smoothly. The Brembos were amazing. It drove the same yet I could feel the difference when I hammered down on it.

There was also a small crack in the window, I'd have to get that fixed.

Bottom line, it's a 2011 and no incentives. My 2011 has everything you could ask for in one and it has 30,000 miles. They're asking $13,800 difference. That's not terrible, but as soon as I sign, I have a 2 year old car. I saw a used 2012 with only 20k miles selling for 31k, and they're asking 41k for theirs. It doesn't seem like a bad deal, but it's not 100% what I want. I thought, you know if I could trade for 8-9k, I would prob pull the trigger. I'm still looking!!
The price seems quite high. Not knowing the options, a used fully loaded 2011 with 200 miles on it would retail for around $36K.

$41k for it is about at invoice, perhaps $500-1000 below ... which is not a good deal for a car that when you roll of the lot will be a 3 year old car. On top of it all, you specifically stated that "it's not 100% what I want". I would recommend taking a pass on the car and find what you want.

For at most a couple thousand more, I am sure the dealer (or a different one) could locate a car that fits your wants 100% and be a 2013 model that will have the new top designs implemented.

To give an idea of value, I looked at trading in my 2011 convertible last summer on a ZL1 convertible. MSRP on my car was $44,215, it had about 22,000 miles (which is about $1500 or so of value at sale ... verses 200 miles) ... dealer would only give $27k for it (based on auction value). This was far too low for me as the appropriate value should have been around $31k.

So, if my car had only 200 miles on it, the "value would be around $32-33k for trade and around $36k for retail.

If you expect to keep the car forever, the value difference 2-3 years (or 5-6 years) from now won't matter ... but if you do expect to trade it in, the age of the car WILL matter and you will have a hit to your trade value.

Try not to get caught up in the game a lot of dealers use - switching focus away from price and trying to sell on what it would change your payment to, etc. Also make certain you know how much dealer "document" fees would be ... good dealers will not add a doc fee, bad ones charge $150+.

I hope ya find what you are really wanting and enjoy it (whether it is this car, another, or the one that you already have!)
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote