Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Wash/Wash/Detailing and Cosmetic Maintenance Parts

Old 08-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #15
bhall82
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
WD40 works
bhall82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #16
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagerday View Post
Just FYI...for those of you who did not know it. The university of Florida created love bugs. They were never supposed to get out of the lab but some escaped and now there is what I would call a "love bug epidemic" As a FSU grad i just thought I would share and hopefully create a few more UF haters out there. Every time you find yourself wanting to pull for the gators just remember all those little spots in your front bumper and root against them!

SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. -- It’s that time of the year-- love bug season. Despite their name, few people really enjoy when love bugs pop up in May and September.

Despite urban myths, love bugs didn’t come about from a cloning experiment, they didn’t escape from a research facility, and they weren’t bio-engineered to attack mosquitoes.

Bug experts say the bugs hitched a ride on a ship heading from Central America to Texas in the mid 1920s. The invasion then continued around the Gulf of Mexico, since the heat and humidity is perfect for them.

By the 1940s, they had arrived in Florida.

Each female lays up to 350 eggs. Larvae feed on decaying plants, but adults really don’t serve a benefit.

“Their sole purpose in flying around -- mating and laying more eggs,” said Dr. Lance Osbourne with the University of Florida.

Love bugs can cause some damage. When their acid-filled bodies squash onto cars, they attract bacteria. The mix of the bacteria and acid can etch paint and ruin the finish.

Protecting Your Car
“The best thing to do is throw a hand wax on your car,” said Matt Snyder with Bill’s Car Wash.

The wax will help in removing the bugs with a soft sponge and soapy water.

“Don't use cooking spray on the front of your car, that just bakes the bugs into the front of your car,” said Snyder.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #17
Kman 2011 ss

Drives: '04vette- '11-1SS '11-1LS(wifes)
Good coat of wax & every time I stop all the fresh love bugs get cleaned off asap & I put a quick spray wax on after getting them off. A few minutes cleaning up when you get to where your going will save you a huge headache if you let them sit for any length of time.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #18
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
I use a lambs wool mit...... while it was not good for the lamb, it's great for your car.

Detail spray every week.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #19
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
They are as bad as the Mayfly aka. (fishfly) up north. I have seen a time or two in Detroit when they had to get out the trucks and street cleaners just to get them off the roads ...
Old 08-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #20
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
LOOK Really wash really good then a relly good Wax I like Meguirs, after you wax Then Wax, And Then Wax. Man you can not have enough wax on it during Love bug season
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #21
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
Ok, all Florida people. Love Bug season is approaching (September and May).
Not again. Time flies when your having fun. After many years of dealing with them you learn to live with them. If you don't like keeping your car prepared and clean they can be a major PITA and will damage the finish if your finish is neglected.
Keep the car waxed. Get them off ASAP. Someone on here from S.FL turned me onto to Poorboys Bug Squash Bug Remover Concentrate and their MF Bug towel.Works great and would not do without it now.Use Bounce FabSoftner Sheets for touchup. Park car in garage and donot drive until they are gone.

http://www.poorboysworld.com/bug-squash.htm

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #22
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
Love Bug - I thought this was going to be about Volkswagen's or something. Never heard of one - but sounds messy..
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #23
Camaro45thAE

Drives: '91 GMC Syclone & '12 Camaro 45TH
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacFan View Post
Love Bug - I thought this was going to be about Volkswagen's or something. Never heard of one - but sounds messy..
When you run through them (inevitable on the road since they are attracted to carbon dioxide), your car ends up like this daily:

GMC Syclone #237
2012 Camaro 2LT Anniversary Edition
Order No. PTXV9B
8.31.2011 - Born! TPW 8/29
HowTune- DIY Automotive Network
Camaro45thAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #24
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacFan View Post
LMAO-Northerner jk.. they are Horrible down South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro45thAE View Post
When you run through them (inevitable on the road since they are attracted to carbon dioxide), your car ends up like this daily:

Worst part is, this is normal after highway driving
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #25
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
Wet Bounce Sheet - I was amazed when I discovered that these actually work!
Modern07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #26
mdsbuc
Love American Muscle

Drives: Mustang GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagerday View Post
Just FYI...for those of you who did not know it. The university of Florida created love bugs. They were never supposed to get out of the lab but some escaped and now there is what I would call a "love bug epidemic" As a FSU grad i just thought I would share and hopefully create a few more UF haters out there. Every time you find yourself wanting to pull for the gators just remember all those little spots in your front bumper and root against them!
Misinformed Hater.....

2012 Mustang GT 5.0 6MT Brembo Sport
mdsbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #27
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
Misinformed Hater.....
Yes completely a myth.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/lurkers/lovebugs.asp

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:09 AM   #28
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
I lived in flordia for a few years and hated love bug season!! I also always thought love bugs were a myth untill living in flordia. Good wax with often waxing is the key. Alot of those bug off sprays will strip the wax if you use them you will need to wax after. If i remember right the love bugs liked things that were white for some odd reason.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote