Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-17-2009, 04:58 AM   #15
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
I'm getting an automatic..........age, a couple of knee operations, crap like that is why I drive an auto. But when I was young and in my prime I would be grapping gears and it was more fun than the auto. I can't say that I out grew it but if I get a chance to drive a standard I will give it hell. I just couldn't order one knowing the issues I have had with my knees.

I also believe with the right driver a manual would be faster mostly due to more HP but as someone already said there won't/shouldn't be that big a difference.
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:00 AM   #16
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverghost View Post
all the top fuel dragsters are auto for a reason..... think about it.
I thought top fuel and funny cars had push button shifters?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #17
Silverghost

Drives: Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
I thought top fuel and funny cars had push button shifters?
Push the button and it automaticly changes gears..... Still no clutch

www.rivercityperformance.com
Silverghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #18
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Agreed .. now is my daily driver putting out as much HP as a top fuel dragster .. lol ....

Manual for me ... more fun to drive and it will be faster stock for stock in the 1/4 ..

Crowley
Old 02-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #19
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
I have ordered months ago, this girl I know ordered to and is convinced auto is faster ... Im not saying it's not I dont know. Hence my question. But heres another question for you ... why get a automatic sports car? Or better yet who even drives automatic? Even my PT cruiser is a stick!
this guy drives an auto...

if you wanna play, get a manual, if you wanna go fast, get an auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
Butt dyno sometimes favors an automatic simply off linear power delivery, but a stick will general put out faster times on a street car.
butt dyno favors manual, and sticks used to put out faster times out the door from production, but you were also comparing a 6 speed manual vs a 4 speed auto. now its 6 speed on both and this new auto rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
M6 is a couple of ticks faster the the A6 from 0-6 and in the 1/4. This info was given to us at Indy by Al...
I thought it was the other way around...
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #20
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post

I thought it was the other way around...
Initially the numbers were 4.6 for the A6, and 4.9 for the M6. Not sure where they came from. It was later said by Al that the M6 might be a tick or two faster than the A6, so thats what we're basing it on.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #21
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
this guy drives an auto...

if you wanna play, get a manual, if you wanna go fast, get an auto.
lol .. again .. is that guy driving that camaro as a daily driver or even on the street .. I aggree .. if you want to go that fast and be consistant .. manual is the way to go ... for a street driven car .. if you want to have fun .. go manual ..

Crowley
Old 02-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #22
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I believe top fuel actually uses a single gear transmission.

But the autos many people refer to like in F1 cars and the like are actually best described as automatic manuals. They don't have a torque converter setup but a fancy clutch setup that is controlled by the electronics. This is the same system that the paddle shifter ferraris and other really expensive cars use. Basically these transmissions take the benefits of having a clutch plate system in a manual and apply the computer controlled nature of an auto for ultra-fast shifts.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #23
Robin Lawrence

Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
I believe top fuel actually uses a single gear transmission.

But the autos many people refer to like in F1 cars and the like are actually best described as automatic manuals. They don't have a torque converter setup but a fancy clutch setup that is controlled by the electronics. This is the same system that the paddle shifter ferraris and other really expensive cars use. Basically these transmissions take the benefits of having a clutch plate system in a manual and apply the computer controlled nature of an auto for ultra-fast shifts.
You are correct.......sort of. Top Fuel and Nitro Funny car are direct drive. They use stages of a clutch to allow the engine to maintain a certain RPM down the track. They use timers to apply each stage as the car goes down the track.

Stick is faster, hands down. For many classes the choice to go automatic is because of the penalty to run the stick.

There is less power loss through a stick trans than an automatic. Now in the real world there are automatics that are getting very efficiant. Take them up against a stick that has a lot of rotating mass and they will be close.

But give the same car, same power the stick is faster.

In many cases cars have more power than the car or driver can handle. In those cases the auto is an easy crutch to get over the problems.

I race a 7 second Nova in the NPS class at the NMCA events. I carry an extra 200 pounds because I run a stick.

I run a Liberty Clutchless 5 speed with a 8" twin disc race clutch.

Robin

Robin Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #24
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The modern automatics are getting better and better. The differences in performance between manually shifted and automatically shifted cars are quickly going away.

Here's a quote about the Porsche Turbo comparing the automatic with the manually equipped Porsche.
"no surprise that Porsche’s Tiptronic electronically controlled automatic transmission is good, but it is a surprise to learn that it makes the 2007 911 Turbo quicker down the drag strip."
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #25
Emjay
Camaro Obsessed

Drives: 1973 z28 1989 iroc 1995 z28
Send a message via AIM to Emjay
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
The modern automatics are getting better and better. The differences in performance between manually shifted and automatically shifted cars are quickly going away.

Here's a quote about the Porsche Turbo comparing the automatic with the manually equipped Porsche.
"no surprise that Porsche’s Tiptronic electronically controlled automatic transmission is good, but it is a surprise to learn that it makes the 2007 911 Turbo quicker down the drag strip."
Still if their better ... they would be more fun. I live on long island 1 hour away from manhatten and drive through it all the time, traffic + stick = still fun. Automatic + Stick = bored. Personally I slam on the dead pedal in automatics and look like a moron trying to pull the shifter. I only drove auto for like a few months before I went to school in Aus, where I drove stick, and only have since.

OK m6 a6 I dont know what that is! LOL so auto? manuel?

1989IROCZ1995Z28
Camaro Girl
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #26
rocket31

Drives: 02 silverado and 97 BMW Z3
i would like to think that if you really knew how to drive that you could beat an auto now matter how good the system is (given the cars are the same of course). even if that werent the case i like to have control of when i change gears, not the car. besides manual is just plain fun
rocket31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #27
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
Initially the numbers were 4.6 for the A6, and 4.9 for the M6. Not sure where they came from. It was later said by Al that the M6 might be a tick or two faster than the A6, so thats what we're basing it on.
but how much is a tick?

and for all those that care, I run a reverse manual valve body 4 speed auto in my 94Z. depending on how you want to look at it, im driving a manual. because I have to shift every gear. up and down. I just dont use a clutch pedal to do so. and I can guarantee you that I can slap my trans to the next gear faster than you can pop the clutch, change gears, and release the clutch.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #28
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
Still if their better ... they would be more fun. I live on long island 1 hour away from manhatten and drive through it all the time, traffic + stick = still fun. Automatic + Stick = bored. Personally I slam on the dead pedal in automatics and look like a moron trying to pull the shifter. I only drove auto for like a few months before I went to school in Aus, where I drove stick, and only have since.

OK m6 a6 I dont know what that is! LOL so auto? manuel?
auto + stick =

m6 is a manual 6-speed
a6 is an automatic 6-speed

as for stomping the floor & reaching for imaginary shifters, i do that all the time, so don't feel bad
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote