Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > International Regions > Middle East

Old 05-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_hx
New Flowmaster w/ rattling noise!

So after a few days of installation, im beggining to hear annoying rattling noises from the exhaust manifolds/chassis area.

I'm assuming its just loose bolts that needs tightening and nothing more..

Plus, at idle, my transmission gear stick also rattles... just annoying that it doesn't feel new as b4 after the Flowmaster installion..

Are these rattle noises normal when getting an exhaust installed?
Camaro_hx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:28 AM   #2
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_h View Post

So after a few days of installation, im beggining to hear annoying rattling noises from the exhaust manifolds/chassis area.

Plus, at idle, my transmission gear stick also rattles... just annoying that it doesn't feel new as b4 after the Flowmaster installion..

No they are not !!

Its a warning call that you should re-tight the bolts again because your pipes are loose due to heat expansion so they are not settled and they hit your resonator stock plate.

Didnt Flowmaster mention that in the manual ??

With Magna Flow you should do that after 100km.

Go and re-tight them again. The noise should disapper.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:45 AM   #3
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Thanks alot bro!
Since yesterday, the rattling kept increasing, should deffinetly take it for re-tightening today.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:25 AM   #4
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
Thanks alot bro!
Since yesterday, the rattling kept increasing, should deffinetly take it for re-tightening today.
No problem!

It happened to me the next morning with Magna Flow. I felt that some one was kicking my back.

Thats the problem with bolts on, you may require to tight it more than once.

Just be careful not to touch the exhaust, it gets dam too hot!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:30 AM   #5
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
There's also a tunnel brace that the Pipes can rattle on
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:33 AM   #6
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
There's also a tunnel brace that the Pipes can rattle on
===
yeh, they could be loose, but im convinced regarding the after 100 km tightening as heat-expansion causes the looseness of the bolts.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:44 AM   #7
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
===
yeh, they could be loose, but im convinced regarding the after 100 km tightening as heat-expansion causes the looseness of the bolts.
Its a must on any cat back to re-tight the bolts until they settle.

Chevy 3 is right about the contact point of the pipes. I actually asked my mechanic to hammer the tunnel brace down a bit to keep a gap with the pipes.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

went for re-tightening, still same rattling noise..and actually got worse.
Im going to the dealer in abit for 40k km major service and also will tell them to check/tighten/fix the exhaust properly
Old 05-05-2011, 01:43 AM   #9
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowmann View Post
Camaro_h – Is this on a V6 Camaro? If you installed our V6 kit, it’s an Axle-Back system and there should not have been any changes to the exhaust system in the front by the exhaust manifolds. If the mufflers are loose, they may be allowing the exhaust to droop and rattle on the mid/rear cross member. Check to make sure there is still clearance between the pipes and the cross member. This should be an easy fix, if the only work you had done was the Axle-Back kit.

====
Hi Flowmann,
It is a V6 and ordered online from a mod store thru Flowmastermufflers.com.

The American Thunder Kit came full with axle-backs and the long mid-section manifolds.

My car is in service for a 40k interval and also added to check on the exhaust installation; to make sure all bit and bolts are intalled and fitted correctly.

Note:
When ordered the flowmaster american thunder kit, i made sure its ordered for the V6 Camaro, but when it arrived, the flowmaster label sticker says "2010 Camaro V8, 6.2l" ...the store guy says its the same..!

IS THAT POSSIBLE!
Appreciate your advise,

Thanks.

However, i tend to realise that the mufflers
Old 05-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #10
HzMajesty

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Blk/Blk
Send a message via MSN to HzMajesty
After installing FM for a friend, this is what we found:

1- the stock tunnel brace is too tight a fit for 3 inch flow masters (if you have LT headers on then its just even worse). That will cause an ugly rattle which can be heard inside the car and out. Could be why your shifters rattling too. You can add spacers to the tunnel brace or buy an aftermarket or fabricated one (we fabricated to resolve).

2- If you have the ground effects, there is a rattle where the tips hit up against the exhaust outlets on the spoiler. Realignment will solve this.

3- re-tighten the bolts regardless.

Quote:

JRE Tuned - ARH LT 1-7/8 w/Cats - JRE Rear 4.11 - Borla "S" Cat-Back - CAI by CAI - H&R drop - HURST Shifter - BMR Tunnel Brace; 4 Point Brace; Adjustable Toe Rod; Rear Trailing Arms - Sphon Control Arms - MTI Racing w/Fire Sleeves - Stealth Ambers - GTS Tails - Phantom Grille - Concept LED Sidemarkers - Blacked out logos - Hotchkis Bars & End links - BMR Front Driveshaft Loop (install soon) - BMR Subframe connectors (install soon)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3813191#
HzMajesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:58 AM   #11
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=flowmann;3191145]Camaro_h

-----
This is the one and now after thoroughly checking flowmastermufflers.com, it seems its only for the v8 6.2l and not for the v6, the v6 only the cat-back.

It fitted ok but im now worried it will have an affect on the v6 llt engine stock headers if i keep this exhaust installation... or will it be oright..?

Also ive noticed a huge difference in fuel consumption!

Last edited by Camaro_hx; 05-08-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:44 AM   #12
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

[QUOTE=Camaro_h;3193117]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowmann View Post
Camaro_h

-----
This is the one and now after thoroughly checking flowmastermufflers.com, it seems its only for the v8 6.2l and not for the v6, the v6 only the cat-back.

It fitted ok but im now worried it will have an affect on the v6 llt engine stock headers if i keep this exhaust installation... or will it be oright..?

Also ive noticed a huge difference in fuel consumption!
I know many guys who installed V8 piping on their V6s with no problems. I think Blade is one of them!

If you are planning to add headers to your system, take the ARH long system to replace your mid pipes with X pipe that fits stright to your mufflers.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #13
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended

I also know a couple of guys who have installed the v8 kit into their v6, but im thinkin' on the long run... it will wear out the engine's life span, as a higher ratio outlet than it should be for the v6.

AAaaagh!
Old 05-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #14
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
If I might add, I had the same issue with my Flow A.T. axle back and it was all good for the first couple of months and then I too developed a rattle. It was very noticable while stopped an idling and seemed to get worse or heard while shifting into park or other gearing. Got it up on the lift at work and found out it was the pipe hitting the LCA on the drivers side. Initially on insall it was all good but within a couple of months, there had been a slight shift and the pipe where it comes in close proximity with the LCA was now tapping it. I loosened the clamp, adjusted it and retightened it up and its been all good every since. I've heard others say they had the same symptom and my diagnosis was dead on. You might take a look and once in the air, you see just how close that pipe is on the LCA if not actually touching it. With the movement in the drivetrain, this would cause the noise. Hope this helps and keep us posted.