Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #99
Crazyhorse6901
Turbine Maker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT-RS "LFX"V6
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1 View Post
Believe the v6 crowd is more for touring and the v8 crowd are more for performance.
Makes more sense that the aftermarket engine component manufactures would design parts for the performance wrencher folks, rather than the touring people that don't even open the hood.

B.S what a statement...It's like stating an individual who purchased a V6 don't have the fund's to mod since they didn't purchase a Camaro with a V8 which is wrong.
I bet there are a lot of V6 owners that would appreciate performance part's and don't have an issue with opening their hood and turning a wrench.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #100
FLGator75
Don't Tread on me!

Drives: 2017 Yellow Camaro RS/V-6.
Send a message via ICQ to FLGator75 Send a message via AIM to FLGator75 Send a message via Yahoo to FLGator75
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
I've got that covered. Test units shipped out yesterday.

Link?
Old 08-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #101
FLGator75
Don't Tread on me!

Drives: 2017 Yellow Camaro RS/V-6.
Send a message via ICQ to FLGator75 Send a message via AIM to FLGator75 Send a message via Yahoo to FLGator75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse6901 View Post

B.S what a statement...It's like stating an individual who purchased a V6 don't have the fund's to mod since they didn't purchase a Camaro with a V8 which is wrong.
I bet there are a lot of V6 owners that would appreciate performance part's and don't have an issue with opening their hood and turning a wrench.
+1
Old 08-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #102
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Got anything you want to add to the list?
Not really. I don't want to get into the debate of the V6 vs V8 thing. I have owned them all from 4 to 8 cylinders. As much as I wanted the V8 I wanted something I could afford and drive everyday. This thing would definitely have eaten that 1971 Chevy Impala for lunch that I owned 30 years ago. I have never bashed anyone for the motor they have in there car and don't want to start now. If I thought it was feasible to own the SS I would be driving one. For those that feel the need to bash the V6 need to drive one. I was totally impressed when I bought it but just don't see the need to throw $10k into it to try and make it something it isn't. If that was the case I would be driving the SS. JMO!

Dean.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #103
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Bump, Just because this is a great thread . I love all Camaro's
Old 08-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #104
IowaGuy

Drives: 2013 Cyber Gray Metallic Chevy Volt
Hmm I left my v6 stock cause I knew I would trade it in after it got equity. Of course I bought it used at a great price. I could have just saved for an SS but then I woulda lost out on driving a camaro for a year.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #105
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Well just basic bolt ons without a tune will get you into the high 13s. If the cars were 300lbs lighter we would be talking mid 13s which aint bad for a n/a v6. Add headers a tune and some better intake breathing and traction means probably low 13s. Maybe we will see that with the lighter Gen 6.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #106
Sandor
Chevrolet Performance

Drives: Camaro Chroma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Ray View Post
Hey guys and gals,just got a response from precision industries,makers of Vigilante Torque Converters and they told me that no one has asked them before for V6 Converters and that they would need a factory on to make a modded one..

The V6 has been out now for 4 yrs (LFX 2years) Lunati,Crane Cams or Comp Cams got nothing,,,AFR got no heads,Neither does Edelbrock..No shift kits..just straight up nothing but your little bolt ons...

My question to you guys is.do you think us V6 guys are really going to the Big Name Aftermarket companies and asking them for real type of aftermarket parts for our cars or are we just letting the V8 guys get all the good stuff?

Chevy sell more V6's than V8's correct?
One of the biggest issues is that DI and VVT are complex systems and are difficult for the aftermarket to figure out and improve upon. Quite frankly, the 3.6 V6 in the Camaro is a very high-tech engine and as someone else mentioned, it has output levels at or above those of "high-performance" V8s from just a few years ago - with better fuel efficiency to boot!

That said, there are several performance components available from Chevrolet Performance for V6 Camaro owners, parts engineered from the team that engineered the Camaro itself so you know the fit and performance will be the best. If you head over to chevroletperformance.com you will find 1LE suspension kits, ZL1 & SS brake kits and crosstower braces, all designed to work on V6 Camaros. Best of all, none of these parts will void your factory warranty. These parts were on display at this year's Camaro5 Fest.

Chevrolet Performance is here to support both V8 AND V6 Camaro enthusiasts!
Old 08-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #107
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
I agree with vroomapunk. There are mods for the v6 yes, but why waste time when you can make more money guaranteed with a better engine. Most people come to reality and trade up before they put the $ into a v6 to keep up with the v8. Most likely the 8 will be modded and you will still lose. Like vroomapunk said its all about money and the v8's are the heavy hitters. I own a 350z so iam not bashing the 6, its just that there is no point for a performance shop to make parts knowing they wont sell as good.
How do you define better engine? Do you really mean more powerful engine? Personally I consider power density a big part of what makes a good engine. Let's see, LLT = 304/3.6 = 84.44 hp/liter, LFX = 323/3.6 = 89.72 hp/liter, LS3 = 426/6.2 = 68.71 hp/liter, L99 = 400/6.2 = 64.52 hp/liter. Seems to me that the V6 engines have a hell of a lot more specific output, yet they aren't the "better" engines. By your definition I suppose the average dump truck would have the better engine.

I am so sick of V8 guys telling everyone which engine is better, why V6 owners bought what they did, what V6 owners are going to do with their cars, and that V6 owners supposedly have a chip on their shoulders for having 2 less cylinders. I don't see any V6 people bashing V8s, or telling the V8 owners who they are, why they bought what they did, etc. I know why I bought what I did, what I want to do with it, and what makes a good engine. Thanks but I really don't need anyone to define any of that for me. How about you keep your ignorant opinions to yourselves?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #108
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbis View Post
Honestly would rather spend 6-8k on that then the turbo or supercharger kits for the same price

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
You could...but the turbo or SC V6 would be faster (as they are as fast or faster at the strip as an SS, and faster from a roll) , and likely still cost a lot less than the conversion for the LS2. Maybe he meant LS3....as I don't know why you'd want to slap an LS2 in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
Well just basic bolt ons without a tune will get you into the high 13s. If the cars were 300lbs lighter we would be talking mid 13s which aint bad for a n/a v6. Add headers a tune and some better intake breathing and traction means probably low 13s. Maybe we will see that with the lighter Gen 6.
Very true. These cars are heavy. If they weighed a good 300 or more less pounds we'd see bolt on V6s hitting mid 13s and those with suspension/tires thrown in hitting lower 13s. Hell...as I said before....look at the Mustang V6s. It has been extremely rare, but a couple of those guys have hit very high 12s with bolt ons, suspension and tires. Throw the 323HP LFX in a 3,400 lb Camaro, and then mod it to 350 - 360 HP and you have an easy low 13 second car for much less than the cost of an SS.

Unfortunately....the whole statement above is just a bit WHAT IF....since the current gen is so damn heavy. If they put a similar V6 in the next gen Camaro it will do it...mark my words.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #109
Jonzmaro

Drives: 2013 RS M6
Several mags actually touted the V6 as the "better" car overall: breaking, handling, and the motor being better suited to the chasis as a few of the reasons.

Hell, I had a 2011 Mustang GT.....hardly ever got to stretch its legs. On my commute, and weekend drives,....it attracted a lot of attention (GT500 exhaust), and not good attention. Law attention. Same with my other GT's.

Had a Porsche Cayman too. Now, that car handled like a race car, but was a nightmare to maintain (no PSP), and same....rarely did I get to really get the car in the range it wanted to be in to feel like I was really "driving" the car. expensive gas-wise too.

The LFX is just a great day-day package. It never feels slow, it hangs with any V8's I've come across just tolling around (including one GTO that raced me), and it feels very well balanced in the car. I love the 6 speed that it comes with, and considering the weight, it stops great too. I like filling up with good ol' 87, and purring along with 323 hp, and no troubles. It most certainly is a great bang-for-the-buck. My 13 RS LT1 (with 20's) was just over $26K. No complaints here.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #110
inf3rno

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
How do you define better engine? Do you really mean more powerful engine? Personally I consider power density a big part of what makes a good engine. Let's see, LLT = 304/3.6 = 84.44 hp/liter, LFX = 323/3.6 = 89.72 hp/liter, LS3 = 426/6.2 = 68.71 hp/liter, L99 = 400/6.2 = 64.52 hp/liter. Seems to me that the V6 engines have a hell of a lot more specific output, yet they aren't the "better" engines. By your definition I suppose the average dump truck would have the better engine.

I am so sick of V8 guys telling everyone which engine is better, why V6 owners bought what they did, what V6 owners are going to do with their cars, and that V6 owners supposedly have a chip on their shoulders for having 2 less cylinders. I don't see any V6 people bashing V8s, or telling the V8 owners who they are, why they bought what they did, etc. I know why I bought what I did, what I want to do with it, and what makes a good engine. Thanks but I really don't need anyone to define any of that for me. How about you keep your ignorant opinions to yourselves?

Old 08-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #111
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
You could...but the turbo or SC V6 would be faster (as they are as fast or faster at the strip as an SS, and faster from a roll) , and likely still cost a lot less than the conversion for the LS2. Maybe he meant LS3....as I don't know why you'd want to slap an LS2 in there.
I said LS2 for sure, to me there is nothing wrong with it. hell look at what the LS1 can do. if you are looking at it in age that has nothing to do with it (for me anyways) hell look at the RB25 and RB26 if i wanted to do a real project id swap one those in the chevy and catch everyone slipping. anyways you could always build up the ls2 if you want but if you ask me i would just drop it in and fed it a 100 shot and you are good to go PLUS the motor has been out for a long time so tuning and and doing builds are a walk in the park. they say the LLT is a had full to tune so if i spend the money to go twin turbo and have troubble with tuning id be pretty mad.

Closed Thread