Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 11-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
Sp00ner

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Road Course/Time Attack Mod Plan

Evening All,

Looking for some opinions on some modifications for the upcoming season starting in Spring.

I'm strictly a Road Course/High Speed Autox/Time Attack (whatever particular phrase you use for it) type of racer. Did not participate for the last couple of years as I had abused my Ion Redline pretty good the previous seasons and wasn't able to afford it as I hadn't been working, brakes add up quick... So now with a new car, a new job and an itch that needs scratching, I'm plotting out next season.

Long story short, sort of... Cars are divided up into classes, classes are divided up based on points from modifications. (Stock -2pts, Prepared -9pts, Modified - 22pts, Race - 23+) The SS is, conveniently, assessed two points bone stock and 0 modifications can be done and staying in the stock class, plus that's no damn fun anyway. I'd like to stay in the Prepared category for the first season out in a new car with a lot more power and RWD, and it's my daily driver.

Points are listed on page 185: http://www.mcscc.org/files/MCSCC_2013_GCR_V2.pdf

So I have 7 points to play with, not a ton, just wondering choices people might make in this situation?

Currently I'm thinking of going with:

Air Intake - 1 pt
Rear Subframe/Radius Rod Inserts - 1 pt
Springs - 2 pts
Front/Rear Sways Bars - 2 pts
Wheels/Tires - 19" rims, something around 285's on all 4 corners. Not really sure here based on points and what can fit.

Some tweaks can be done for no points. Brake pads, rotors, alignment, catch cans, etc.

Not certain on what brand of items yet, though leaning a few ways.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
Sp00ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Do you have room in there for a gear swap? The 3.91s that come in the 1LE are great for autoX. Easier to get the car in and out of turns. I would do: 3.91 gears, PFADT coilovers, PFADT ZL1 spec front/rear sways, PFADT trailing/toe arms, Cold Air Inductions CAI. Not sure what your budget is, but if PFADTs are out of the budget, look at factory 1LE stuff.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Sp00ner

Swapping to the 3.91's would be 2 points, so something would have to go.

Coil overs are 4 points vs the 2 for just springs.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

How do they know whats on the car? Is this a straight up honesty based race group, or do they have some guru that knows whats stock and whats not? Thats a huge jump from prepared to modified. Too bad there isnt a group in between. This race style isnt my strong suit so I dont know out of the list I gave what should/shouldnt be done. Id can the coilovers for sure and go with springs. Pedders and PFADT have prolly the best out there.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
Sp00ner

At check in it's primarily based on honestly, certain things are pretty obvious, people can request a car be inspected, but I've never seen it actually happen personally. There's a quick inspection at check in, it's aimed at safety features but they do ask about obvious things. Like you claim stock and the car is slammed with 310's on all 4 corners with a cage, they're gonna notice that.

I'm ok with being straight up about what I have, not to mention the sub classes are small enough that if you run a whole season everyone is going to know whats on the car, unless you refuse to talk about it, bad feelings get started, makes it a lot less fun.

Some of the points make me crazy, like changing the blower pulley on my Saturn was basically the same as changing to a different turbo size...
Old 11-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Ya, an interchangeable blower pulley setup should be lumped in as a set number of points, not per ring, especially if you were to pulley up! I guess I would go Sways, Springs, CAI, 3.91s. That should be 7pts. You dont really need more power, just need to get it to the ground. Do bushings count as points? You can do Pedders bushings in your stock trailing/toe rods that would alleviate most of the wheel hop.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
boltvette

Drives: 1963 Corvette, 2001 Corvette
You haven't mentioned anything about your seats. If you're running with the stock seats, look into Angel Pads. They will help keep your butt planted so you can feel what your car is doing. They'll also allow you to use the steering wheel to point the car and not as a device to help you hold yourself in the seat.
2-seater "Camaro" w/JMS Racing LS3; C5 Z06 trans; C6 ZR1 exhaust; Dynatech catback; Ron Davis radiator; trans, diff & engine oil coolers; Pfadt JOC Stage 1 bars & shocks; C6 Z51 brakes; Angelwings C5 Track Day Bar; Angel Pads!
boltvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #8
Sp00ner

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltvette View Post
You haven't mentioned anything about your seats. If you're running with the stock seats, look into Angel Pads. They will help keep your butt planted so you can feel what your car is doing. They'll also allow you to use the steering wheel to point the car and not as a device to help you hold yourself in the seat.
I'm wondering if I can re-use my old harness, that was the best driving aid ever.