Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
slickmetal

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1 A6
A99 Custom "Stealth" Tune - need help with shifts

Intro: Went to the track this past Sat night and a guy was there with his stock Cobalt SS, and was running low low 13s and finally a 12.9...after inspection it was stock but was running just a custom tune. He told me and guaranteed/tested it was undetectable by GM/dealers.

I want to go with a tune by him but he asked me several question but I need help with the following:

1. Shift firmness
2. Redline changes

I have a 2011 L99 A6. I know there is a slight difference is "S" mode (M without tapshifting) and "D". From what I read "S" mode was a little better...Any recommendations/cookie cutter adjustments for one or both modes? I would have went with Jannetty tune but it would be recognizable and void my warranty...

Additions to the tune are LT headers/hi flow cats and CAI. The ported TB will come in later.

Thanks for your assistance!
- 2013 Black ZL1 - A6 - Lingenfelter/Cordes Stage 2.5 packages E85 - FORE Fuel System - Kooks LTHs - Magnaflow Cans - Rotofab CAI/Big Gulp/Coolant Tank - Savini 3pc Forged - Underhood Dress Up (ACC & Drake & Moroso) - Hurst Shifter Kit - Custom Audio w/ JL Audio Sub/Amp/Stealthbox - Hand Polished Brace - Oracle Ghost Sidemarkers - LEDs everywhere - 624/617 on E85 & 545/548 on 91 (Sept 2015) - 693rwhp (Dec 15)
slickmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
2010 2SS RS

Drives: Metalic Silver 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickmetal View Post
Intro: Went to the track this past Sat night and a guy was there with his stock Cobalt SS, and was running low low 13s and finally a 12.9...after inspection it was stock but was running just a custom tune. He told me and guaranteed/tested it was undetectable by GM/dealers.

I want to go with a tune by him but he asked me several question but I need help with the following:

1. Shift firmness
2. Redline changes

I have a 2011 L99 A6. I know there is a slight difference is "S" mode (M without tapshifting) and "D". From what I read "S" mode was a little better...Any recommendations/cookie cutter adjustments for one or both modes? I would have went with Jannetty tune but it would be recognizable and void my warranty...

Additions to the tune are LT headers/hi flow cats and CAI. The ported TB will come in later.

Just wanted to let you know that LT headers will void the cars warranty too because it moves the cats from their stock position and obviously so do hi-flow cats...
2010 2SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:

1. Shift firmness
2. Redline changes

Trust me there is NO Such Thing as an Undetectable Tune, GM implemented a Flash counter and a whole bunch of other security measures.

Flash counters started in 06.

And why would you trust a Cobalt guy to tune your Car

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 04-05-2011 at 10:25 AM.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
slickmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 2SS RS View Post
Just wanted to let you know that LT headers will void the cars warranty too because it moves the cats from their stock position and obviously so do hi-flow cats...
yeah i am not really worried about the warranty on my exhaust system - just more the block/drivetrain/ECU
- 2013 Black ZL1 - A6 - Lingenfelter/Cordes Stage 2.5 packages E85 - FORE Fuel System - Kooks LTHs - Magnaflow Cans - Rotofab CAI/Big Gulp/Coolant Tank - Savini 3pc Forged - Underhood Dress Up (ACC & Drake & Moroso) - Hurst Shifter Kit - Custom Audio w/ JL Audio Sub/Amp/Stealthbox - Hand Polished Brace - Oracle Ghost Sidemarkers - LEDs everywhere - 624/617 on E85 & 545/548 on 91 (Sept 2015) - 693rwhp (Dec 15)
Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
slickmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Trust me there is NO Such Thing as an Undetectable Tune, GM implemented a Flash counter and a whole bunch of other security measures.

Flash counters started in 06.

And why would you trust a Cobalt guy to tune your Car
Well, I will just have to hope nothing breaks or try and pray...

They aren't just Cobalt guys...he was just testing a tune on a Cobalt SS.

I did want to go with you guys, but as I even stated in an email to you all, the supply vs demand issues . I originally wanted to go with the 415 Street Package, but you were out of tuners and CAI Inc, CAIs. My CAI should finally be in Thursday and I already have the headers/cats/x-pipe

If I am unsatisfied after a dyno run, we will def. be talking Ted.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Well, I will just have to hope nothing breaks or try and pray...

They aren't just Cobalt guys...he was just testing a tune on a Cobalt SS.

I did want to go with you guys, but as I even stated in an email to you all, the supply vs demand issues . I originally wanted to go with the 415 Street Package, but you were out of tuners and CAI Inc, CAIs. My CAI should finally be in Thursday and I already have the headers/cats/x-pipe

If I am unsatisfied after a dyno run, we will def. be talking Ted.
Patience is a Virtue, and Good things come to those who Wait as My Dad always told me.

Now you will be paying for the tune Vs waiting and getting tuned for FREE with My 415 Package.

It is Tough being the Popular Shop, We get mad rushes of orders sometimes and you hit it when we were swamped with orders on the parts you wanted, I am sorry for this, it is the luck of the draw.

Ted.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 04-17-2011 at 07:53 PM.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Captain McFunk
Break Necks, Cash Checks

Drives: 2010 black Camaro 2SS/RS
Seriously reconsider what this cobalt guy is telling you. THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO UNDETECTED. I promise you, just send Ted the $100 or whatever for the tune to be done right.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
slickmetal

Thread was jacked and trolled anyways. I asked for assistance on the shifts, and thought maybe someone would chime in with there .02 like a lot of members actually do here...but they decided to focus on "stealth" and proving someone wrong instead of assistance.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
Captain McFunk
Break Necks, Cash Checks

Drives: 2010 black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Thread was jacked and trolled anyways. I asked for assistance on the shifts, and thought maybe someone would chime in with there .02 like a lot of members actually do here...but they decided to focus on "stealth" and proving someone wrong instead of assistance.

No no, you misunderstood. I dont know about everyone else, but I don't want you to be tricked into believing there is a stealth tune possibility in the market. There is not one, i'm sure there are other tuners out there that are just as good as Jannetty, so this isn't something about going just to him, you can take it to anyone. I just don't want you to be ill-guided by someone saying their is the possibility of a stealth tune when there is not. That could cause you problems in the long run by believing your source.

Sorry to thread jack, but I just want to make sure you understand this clearly...
Old 04-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
What's your specific question? Maybe I can offer my $.02. My A6 is the very first one Ted ever tuned. So as his knowledge increase with the tcm, my car got the immediate improvements. Pm me if I dont answer this thread right away.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:35 PM   #11
seven2one

Drives: 4 Door
I know everyone in this thread is a genius software engineer, but there is such a thing as a stealth tune. Its called transparency, and it makes all tunes and revisions look EXACTLY like a stock dealer flash. Its by a very reputable company that does many of the pioneer tunes for LSx motors and many other DI motors. I have verified with the tech 2 that its undetectable, and that flash counts stored on the BCM can only verify a number, not the specific calibration.

When the specific calibration for the ECM is read, the transparent tune shows as a stock dealer flash. There are no dates, just a calibration number. If anyone is local to me wants to try it out with a tech 2, I will be happy to demonstrate.

I am not trying to sell any tunes, I am just trying to clean up some misinformation in this thread. I can't post up who the company is that does these tunes, because I got banned the last time because someone filed a post complaint in this thread, and had all my posts deleted. The company that makes this transparent tune is owned by an ex microsoft software engineer, he knows his stuff and was the first to offer tuning for the 3.6 DI Motor, and the first to tune a TT LS3 days after it was available.

Last edited by seven2one; 04-19-2011 at 12:24 AM.
seven2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #12
seven2one

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 2SS RS View Post
And legally the warranty can only be voided if the cause of the malfunction is linked directly to the aftermarket modification.

The misinformation is strong with this thread.

try reading this, its great educational information on warranties, and what they can do legally:

"
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

The relevant legislation here, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975, protects consumers from being wrongfully denied warranty coverage by new car dealers.
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states, in part, in Title 15, United States Code, Section 2302, subdivision (c):
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the [Federal Trade] Commission if —

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and
(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefore.
Under this federal statute, a manufacturer who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle is prohibited from requiring you to use a service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer.
Further, under the act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not automatically void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure.
Specifically, the rules and regulations adopted by the FTC to govern the interpretation and enforcement of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act are set forth in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 16 - Commercial Practices, Chapter I - Federal Trade Commission, Subchapter G - Rules, Regulations, Statements and Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Part 700 - Interpretations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Contained within these rules and regulations is Section 700.10, which states:
No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102(c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such "unauthorized" articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.
Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.
That being said, if you choose to modify your car, and suddenly the fancy new electronic control boxes that you added to your car make it run rough, not start when cold, or buck like a bronco, the dealer can and will charge a diagnostic fee to find out what is wrong with your car. If it turns out that your modifications are the cause of the problem, the dealer has every right not only to charge you for the diagnosis and repair, but to also void the portion of the warranty that has been compromised by the use of those aftermarket parts. Likewise, a dealer may refuse to service your car if it is adorned with aftermarket parts to the extent that its technicians cannot reasonably be expected to diagnose what is wrong with your car. As an example, all cars manufactured after 1994 are equipped with OBDII (On Board Diagnostics II) ports that dealers use to read engine diagnostic codes for everything from an engine vacuum leak to a malfunctioning emissions system. If your chosen modification has compromised the dealer service center's ability to scan for these codes (aftermarket ECUs generally do not support OBDII), then there is a strong probability that the dealer service center will
  • Deny warranty coverage
  • Refuse to service the car
  • Note with your factory field representative for your region/district that your car has been "modified"
Your car's manufacturer notes are your car's "permanent record." Above all else, avoid compromising these notes. This is nearly always connected with your vehicles' VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and will
  • Ensure that your car will not have its warranty honored at any dealer service center in your area.
  • Dramatically reduce the resale and/or trade-in value of your car."
Old 04-19-2011, 01:42 AM   #13
L99

Drives: B On B L99-Gone/SS2
Quote:

1. Shift firmness
2. Redline changes

Thinking out of the box, don't quote me but Its my understanding that you can get a new computer from GM for less than $200,
Just a thought but If so, you might be able to swap your old one out and save it. Put the tune you want on the new and go.
The computer may be tracked by the mileage however.
Maybe a problem with on-star also.
Next time I'm with my tuner I will ask.
L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #14
seven2one

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99 View Post
Thinking out of the box, don't quote me but Its my understanding that you can get a new computer from GM for less than $200,
Just a thought but If so, you might be able to swap your old one out and save it. Put the tune you want on the new and go.
The computer may be tracked by the mileage however.
Maybe a problem with on-star also.
Next time I'm with my tuner I will ask.
2 ECU's is about the best deal out there. But yes if gm does a read entire on the ECU, it will show gaps in mileage, and no event that caused the issue. And onstar is sneaky, you have have something in your OBDII port they can tell.... they called me in my other car as I was going down the drag strip because "they detected an accident." Guess my launch set off the G Meter. While I was about to get off the phone with them, the rep said, I see you have an aftermarket device plugged it. (It was my HPT Cable I had plugged in for logging)