Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #29
philipdistefano
Remember, Remember...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Send a message via AIM to philipdistefano
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
Get the windshield replaced. For the paint, just do what I do and buy a little 2oz bottle of touch up and touch it up yourself. No sense in spending hundreds of $$ on a spot smaller than a dime.
This is what I do with my rock chips. Still noticeable up close, but invisible from a distance. Much better than a big chip!
philipdistefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #30
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Did you actually expect to hear someone say "Don't fix it"?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #31
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by egp View Post
Comparing the damage photo to your sig photo, I can't figure out where the damage is at. At first, I thought it was at the top corner of the windshield near the roof line.

Also, with all the discussion about chipping paint, I'm curious as to what kind of road you were on. Looks like a pretty good-sized rock hit you. Was there a construction dump truck in front of you? I've seen them drop pieces of gravel at 65mph. Avoid them like the plague.
I was on a highway. i NEVER drive behind anf kinf of semi, dump truck, trash truck or even a regular truck with stuff in the bed. I was just driving along and heard a something hit my windshield. I slowed down and looked for a chip, but didn't see one. By the time I got to my destination I guess I had forgotten about it.

I'm gonna give my insurance guy a call about the windshield. I honestly don't think I have ever used my insurance for anything ever and I've been with them for almost 10 years. I've been hit a couple times, but the other guy's insurance handled all that.

I already ordered some touch up paint for the chips on the front bumper so I'm gonna dab a little on this spot.

I attached a farther away pic so you can see where it is. i took this from about 4 feet away, the first was about 4 inches away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Did you actually expect to hear someone say "Don't fix it"?
I completely forgot about the windshield insurance thing and for some reason was thinking I was going to have to buy a new windshield out of pocket.
Attached Images

SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #32
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
have insurance cover all the damage, it would drive me nuts....
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #33
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post

I already ordered some touch up paint for the chips on the front bumper so I'm gonna dab a little on this spot.
On Sat I opened my hood while my windshield wipers were up and BAM!!... scraped my hood cowl and it has a huge paint chip similar to yours. Anyway, I was wondering where you ordered the touch up paint from?

Thanks.

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #34
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_RS View Post
On Sat I opened my hood while my windshield wipers were up and BAM!!... scraped my hood cowl and it has a huge paint chip similar to yours. Anyway, I was wondering where you ordered the touch up paint from?

Thanks.

I did that on my 98 SS

I got it on Fleabay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-...625#vi-content
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #35
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
whatever your comprehensive deductible is, thats all it's gonna cost you for a new windshield... make sure to choose a local company for the replacement and ask for Pilkington glass, which is OE... also, ask what kind of urethane they use... someone who uses Dinitrol, is using OE urethane for GM..
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #36
anglwngss
Texas Camaros

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
So.. Is it fixed yet? lol
Old 08-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #37
Bumblebee10
Bumblebee10

Drives: 2011 2LT Red Jewel RS Automatic
When my 2nd new camaro just had 300 miles on it, my wife drove through road construction and there is now a tiny two dot rock chip in the middle of the windshield. I mean it is so tiny, most would never notice it. However....it will not wash off and my fingernail does not get stuck on it. Anyone ever hear of buffing a mark like this out of the glass? Any suggestions? In order for insurance to replace it, it has to be a crack. This is more of a scuff.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:29 AM   #38
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee10 View Post
When my 2nd new camaro just had 300 miles on it, my wife drove through road construction and there is now a tiny two dot rock chip in the middle of the windshield. I mean it is so tiny, most would never notice it. However....it will not wash off and my fingernail does not get stuck on it. Anyone ever hear of buffing a mark like this out of the glass? Any suggestions? In order for insurance to replace it, it has to be a crack. This is more of a scuff.
the problem with buffing glass is that it generates heat which can cause a distortion in the glass... i would reccomend it for light scratches, but if it's just a surface nick and not and rock chip, i would just leave it...
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote