Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #2997
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Nice! Did you get it spec'd similar to that? They use all top shelf parts looks like
Yes...that link is the exact model. I really wanted a gas piston AR, and they're definitely top of the line. You can even run it completely dry.
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #2998
MValdez17

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11BEE View Post
I picked up a new Springfield XD-M 9mm 4.5 inch barrel competition pack today for my son's birthday! He is turning 17 and has been using my guns for IDPA. It is high time for him to have a rig of his own. It came with a paddle holster, 2 magazine belt holster, 3 19rd magazines and a speed loader. It is a very nice gun and I can't wait to see him shoot it next week once he gets it.

I will say buying this was very hard from a guy that owns 9 Glocks. It was a hard pill to swallow.
5.25 in barrel.

I'm considering getting the exact same one or the bi-tone for 3-Gun competition. I have 2 XD and 2 XDm all in 40 S&W, great guns!
2010 2SS/RS Black & IOM Mods Here
MValdez17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:34 AM   #2999
camaro99

Drives: Angry Dorothy II 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBoy25 View Post
Antiques absolutely.

So many state laws dictate gun purchases. Here in Ga you do not have to register firearms.

They're finally closing the loop holes of non background check gun purchases at local gun shows in GA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
Her ein MN you can cash and carry black powder guns also. (Even modern ones) Rifles and shotguns are over the counter with a driver's license. handguns and "assault rifles" require a permit to purchase. (Requires a back ground check, but it's good for 1 year at a time, so if you get your permit, (just an application at your local police department) you can buy as many as you want while your permit is valid.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
Most states I've been to require an ID to prove you're at least 18. After that it depends on the state and the type of gun, and then where you're buying it. Gun shows are usually the easiest with the least amount of hassle. Handguns usually have the most strict rules as far as purchase (wait time, how many you can buy in a certain amount of time, registration, etc). Pump shotguns on the other hand, you can usually pick them up the same day, no registration, no background check, no nothing. Again, depends on the state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
It's refreshing to read somebody outside of the US not asking about "US gun laws", and understanding that the States are the big factor

Thank you
My understanding from some of the replies is that each state varies with which I would imagine is based on its own individual history.

Thanks for the replies...keep em coming...
camaro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #3000
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11BEE View Post
I picked up a new Springfield XD-M 9mm 4.5 inch barrel competition pack today for my son's birthday! He is turning 17 and has been using my guns for IDPA. It is high time for him to have a rig of his own. It came with a paddle holster, 2 magazine belt holster, 3 19rd magazines and a speed loader. It is a very nice gun and I can't wait to see him shoot it next week once he gets it.

I will say buying this was very hard from a guy that owns 9 Glocks. It was a hard pill to swallow.
Same handgun I have, but when I purchased mine, Springfield Armory was having a special where they sent me two free additional mags with an additional 2-mag belt holster.

So, I ended up with the XD(m)-9, the paddle holster, two magazine belt holsters, and five 19-round magazines.

I guarantee you if you try shooting with it, you may reconsider your Glock love affair

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #3001
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro99 View Post
My understanding from some of the replies is that each state varies with which I would imagine is based on its own individual history.

Thanks for the replies...keep em coming...
Haha I think it's more accurate to say that the states rules vary depending on what "side" it's voters take. The most strict gun laws tend to be in the liberal states, although you'll find that some laws are even dictated by the city within the state (especially handgun laws). And once again, most of those are liberal voter base.

Strangely enough, the states with the least strict gun laws seem to have the least amount of shootings. All of the ones that happened this year in the US were in liberal states. Obviously senseless use of firearms can and do happen in every state, but they seem to happen more often in those situations.
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #3002
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
POF P415 5.56/.223

Been wanting to pick one up for a while, but all the craziness just sped up my purchase. Grabbed it last week at a decent price on Gunbroker, about an hour before everyone sold out.

https://www.pof-usa.com/16.5-p415-np3.html
That is a sweet rifle!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #3003
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Federal Law only limits the sale and possession of items listed in the National Firearms Act. These items include:

Machine guns - any firearm that can fire more than one round per trigger pull which includes "burst fire" (i.e. 3-round burst)
Short-barreled rifles - any rifle with a barrel length under 16" or an overall firearm length under 26" (that's measured with the folding/collapsing stock in the extended position)
Short-barreled shotguns - any shotgun with a barrel length under 18" or an overall length under 26" (just like the rifles)
Silencers - any portable device designed to muffle or supress the report of a firearm
Destructive devices - This has two broad classes:
-(a) - Devices such as grenades, bombs, explosive missiles, poison gas weapons, etc.
-(b) - Any firearm with a bore over 0.50 inches except shotguns which have been deemed suitable for "legitimate sporting use"
Any Other Weapons - This is a broad catch-all that is used by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to enforce registration and taxation. These include (there are others, but these are easiest to describe):
(1) Smooth-bore pistols
(2) Pen guns and cane guns
(3) Disguised firearms
(4) Firearms that can be fired from within a wallet holster or briefcase
(5) Handguns with a forward vertical grip

State-laws vary (naturally) from state to state. In addition, cities within each state can enact their own ordinances limiting where people can carry a firearm.

For instance, many places in Arizona have an open-carry policy, where you can wear a gun on your hip in plain sight without a need for any type of permit.

Where I live in San Antonio, you must obtain a concealed carry permit to legally carry your handgun (concealed) where it is legally allowed to do so. However, businesses retain the right to forbid concealed weapons on their premises. It is also against city ordinance (and I believe State law, but I'm not sure on this) to have a concealed firearm in a public building (courthouse, police station, etc.) even if you have a concealed carry permit.

You do not, however, need a permit of any sort to keep a firearm in your house or vehicle under the State's "Castle Doctrine."

As far as obtaining any of these things, under Texas law, it's fairly straight-forward. I can, as a Texas citizen own any of the things I have mentioned above, even a machine gun. However, in order to purchase a machine gun, the BATFE requires I get a signature from the Bexar County Sheriff (the county in which I reside), which the Sheriff no longer does, as far as I'm aware. No law was enacted, the Sheriff just straight up decided he (or she) was no longer going to grant permission for new applicants. I do believe, however, that they will still grant suppressor applications, assuming the applicant passes the necessary background checks.

And every firearm I have purchased required a background check through the FBI. One handgun I purchased at Bass Pro, the other I purchased at the local gun show. Both times, from the time I selected the handgun I wanted, to the time the transaction was completed, took roughly 30-45 minutes. I suspect the same would be true for any semi-automatic rifle that is not restricted by the NFA restrictions above.

When it comes to the definition of "assault rifle," that all depends on what the state you live in defines it as. While I may define an assault rifle as any rifle that's fully automatic, that may not always be how your particular state's laws define it.

The federal level does not have a definition for "assault rifle" anymore since the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 expired. However, under that 1994 ban, an assault weapon was classified, for the most part, as any semi-automatic firearm that merely looked like its fully automatic counterpart.

TL: DR?

Old 12-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #3004
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
"like" my post on Dicks Sporting Goods FB account concerning their position to stop selling modern firearms

https://www.facebook.com/dickssportinggoods
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #3005
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Forgive me for not knowing this, but your name is?

Old 12-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #3006
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Good point^
Old 12-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #3007
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Sorry, it's Bob Cavanaugh. Thought I had copied my post into my thread so you guys could find it.

Due to Dicks Sporting Goods position concerning the Troy Carbine and other modern sporting rifles I will no longer spend my money at Dicks Sporting Goods.
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #3008
camaro99

Drives: Angry Dorothy II 2016 2SS
HEY C SCOOTER...RE:

For instance, many places in Arizona have an open-carry policy, where you can wear a gun on your hip in plain sight without a need for any type of permit.

Interesting ......
I have a couple of Canadian lady friends who have condos in Phoenix...Wonder how the rules would apply to them since they don't have US citizenship in order to acquire, say a 9mm. glock for instance, only for protection while in Arizona?
camaro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #3009
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
That is a sweet rifle!
Thanks...it'll be even nicer when I can actually pick it up!

Going to head to the gun show this weekend just to see what's left out there...not expecting much.
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #3010
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro99 View Post
HEY C SCOOTER...RE:

Interesting ......
I have a couple of Canadian lady friends who have condos in Phoenix...Wonder how the rules would apply to them since they don't have US citizenship in order to acquire, say a 9mm. glock for instance, only for protection while in Arizona?
I'm not sure on that. I don't know the laws pertaining to a non-citizen purchasing a firearm. I would assume the purchase is restricted to US citizens only, but don't quote me on that.

I think it depends on how long they've lived at their current residence and whether they declare that their intent to become a US citizen on some legal document.

They would need to consult a licensed firearm dealer or law enforcement agency to find out exactly what's required.

Tags
camaro gun