Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
Tantalizer43

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
CLEAR BRA installers are NOT created equal; do your homework to find a reputable dealer OR do it yourself if you are expeienced in such matters. I've seen some gut wrenching abortions.
Ask some of the SW Ohio guys how my bra looked... Some Pittsburgh fellas saw it too.

I would not advise installing it yourself though. Unless you do it by trade.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #16
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
Im located in TN and I'm interested in buying a clear bra for the ZL1 in order to save the paint. Any suggestions on where to take it?

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #17
mrwmaw

Drives: 2012 ZL1
What areas of the car do most people have the clear bras put on? Just the front bumper? The front bumper and the hood? I know its all based on personal preference, just curious if there is something that most people go with. How much does something like this run?
mrwmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #18
atintpro
tintpro

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE , '69 454 camaro,
Well, coming from an actual installer of the products you are talking about. I personally recommend 3M! I have installed them all and the only dissappointment in the 3M product is that they do not make it in a 60" roll...thus no complete hoods without using Ventureshield. All of the products will save your paint, some just have better longevity and look better. I would definately recommend having it profesionally installed as there is a pretty steep learning curve on this application.
atintpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #19
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by atintpro View Post
Well, coming from an actual installer of the products you are talking about. I personally recommend 3M! I have installed them all and the only dissappointment in the 3M product is that they do not make it in a 60" roll...thus no complete hoods without using Ventureshield. All of the products will save your paint, some just have better longevity and look better. I would definately recommend having it profesionally installed as there is a pretty steep learning curve on this application.
3M is a lower end film. Sorry it is... and most of my clients over the last 10 years wouldn't want it on their vehicles. for one it has a tremendous amount of orange peel to it so it doesn't blend with the paint well. Second they use an acrylic for their top coat which will crack during the install process because acrylic will not stretch. Down in warm weather climates such as Texas after a few years in the heat it will begin to get larger cracks in it. I have seen numerous cars down here that I couldn't get the film off because the 3M film had disintegrated to the point it wouldn't peal off. And lastly when you do have to remove 3M film (and you will) the adhesive pretty much stays with the paint, not the film .So it is a PITA to remove.

I am sure you were factory trained by 3M so you are being loyal to them. But I promise you if you get out and try some other films you will like them much better... and your business will greatly increase. 3M may have been the original film but they haven't improved it at all over the last 8 years. People want the newer films because they are smoother, more durable, and more stain resistant than 3M... plus they offer better warranties than 3M's five years.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #20
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
3M is a lower end film. Sorry it is... and most of my clients over the last 10 years wouldn't want it on their vehicles. for one it has a tremendous amount of orange peel to it so it doesn't blend with the paint well. Second they use an acrylic for their top coat which will crack during the install process because acrylic will not stretch. Down in warm weather climates such as Texas after a few years in the heat it will begin to get larger cracks in it. I have seen numerous cars down here that I couldn't get the film off because the 3M film had disintegrated to the point it wouldn't peal off. And lastly when you do have to remove 3M film (and you will) the adhesive pretty much stays with the paint, not the film .So it is a PITA to remove.

I am sure you were factory trained by 3M so you are being loyal to them. But I promise you if you get out and try some other films you will like them much better... and your business will greatly increase. 3M may have been the original film but they haven't improved it at all over the last 8 years. People want the newer films because they are smoother, more durable, and more stain resistant than 3M... plus they offer better warranties than 3M's five years.
Any specific recommendations? What would be the positive aspects of those recommended brands versus the 3M product?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #21
mrwmaw

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:

So which ones would you recommend?
mrwmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #22
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

I personally like VentureShield Ultra (8 years of installing with no warranty issues and comes in 60" widths), Avery Nano Fusion (lifetime warranty, stain resistant, and perfectly smooth), and Xpel Ultimate (self healing topcoat, perfectly smooth, and 10 year warranty). Those three films are all very good. I dont promote any one film because I go with the best films I think are out there by my own testing... not the hype associated with the film manufacturer. My moms C6 has Ventureshield Ultra on it and my dads 2008 Viper has both ventureshield and Avery Nano Fusion on it. The Xpel film is very new but I like it so far... except for the cost.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #23
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
I'd be interested to see pictures showing the differences in how each looks once installed. I for one don't want it to be noticeable that I have one and I'd like to now how cost effective it would be to do something like this. As of now I'm leaning toward not doing it but where I live I don't know anybody who has it installed.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #24
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

There are some galleries at www.pro-tectmobile.com Plenty of cars including Camaros that have film on them. There is a good installer in Atlanta, not sure how far that is from you but it would be worth the driev. Trust me, the rock chips will accumulate and it will get frustrating.

By the way, I REALLY like the wheels on your car. What wheels are those?
Old 02-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #25
IROC U

Drives: 1986 Camaro IROC-Z; 2012 Camaro ZL1
Who is the installer in Atlanta and what price range are we looking at for your recommended products??
IROC U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #26
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
I personally like VentureShield Ultra (8 years of installing with no warranty issues and comes in 60" widths), Avery Nano Fusion (lifetime warranty, stain resistant, and perfectly smooth), and Xpel Ultimate (self healing topcoat, perfectly smooth, and 10 year warranty). Those three films are all very good. I dont promote any one film because I go with the best films I think are out there by my own testing... not the hype associated with the film manufacturer. My moms C6 has Ventureshield Ultra on it and my dads 2008 Viper has both ventureshield and Avery Nano Fusion on it. The Xpel film is very new but I like it so far... except for the cost.

Thanks for the info
Old 02-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #27
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Quote:
There are some galleries at www.pro-tectmobile.com Plenty of cars including Camaros that have film on them. There is a good installer in Atlanta, not sure how far that is from you but it would be worth the driev. Trust me, the rock chips will accumulate and it will get frustrating.

By the way, I REALLY like the wheels on your car. What wheels are those?
They are the standard black ZL1 wheels. That pic is from the Rolex 24 hour race. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198014

My car's not quite here yet lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROC U View Post
Who is the installer in Atlanta and what price range are we looking at for your recommended products??
Yes I'd like to know the same, after looking at the pics on that site it's pretty convincing, Atlanta's 4 hours from me but I make a trip there every year and If I go this route and have the car in time I was prob going to the FbodyGathering in May also.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #28
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Im surprised no mentioned the con on Clear Bra about it keeping the paint underneath it pristine while the paint exposed to elements will be a different color! (faded, oxidized, ect.)

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote