Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
Compunerd

Drives: 2011 1LT SIM
Need to make a decision on buying a catch can, or...

I've done an extreme amount of research into installing a catch can/breather cap and all that comes along with it, but I'm at a fork in the road at the moment. I'm going to buy a RX Catch Can/Breather Cap, Seafoam the engine, install the catch can myself, etc.

Obviously, I should change the oil in the car myself after I install the catch can. In order to do this, I'm going to need to buy a service ramp, and I am leaning toward Race Ramps 67" XT Service Ramp, http://www.raceramps.com/67-inch-xt-...ice-ramps.aspx.

The problem is, I can't afford both of them right now. Whichever one I get, I'll have to wait about a month before I can grab up the other.

So my question is...

Which one should I get first? Should I get the catch can, take the car to get its oil changed, then seafoam the engine and install the catch can, and get the ramps later? Or should I get the ramps now, continue without the catch can until my oil is due to be changed again, then seafoam/install the catch can/be awesome all on my own?

I have an idea in which way I'm leaning, but I'm not sure I've thought of everything in making this decision, and wouldn't mind some input.
Compunerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Bradrulz

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT IOM
I would get the catch can first. I have some race ramps and so far love em.
MRT2.0 with Helmholtz Pipes, Cold Air Inductions CAI, 4-Pack Gauges, Flat Black Stripes, Added Spare Tire Kit, Elite Catch Can, Chrome 20" Wheels, HUD, ABL Doors, GM Dovetail, Matte Black Gills, Rear Fascia Blackout
Bradrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
Compunerd

Yeah that's what I was leaning toward. Car almost has 12k miles on it, and I'd rather not have any more blow back than I need to.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:36 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Same here. Catch can ASAP.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
JHall651

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS LS3 Ashen Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakai20 View Post
Obviously, I should change the oil in the car myself after I install the catch can
Why do you have to do them yourself from now on? Does adding a CC make changing the oil difficult? I thought you just had to drain it every oil change. I didn't know it changed any oil changing processes the dealer does. Can you tell me what you mean???
JHall651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Adding the catch can doesn't change the difficulty of oil changes at all...I think what the op means is since he's adding a catch can and sea foaming it might as well change the oil because he can or Just wants too
Lil' Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:50 AM   #7
JHall651

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS LS3 Ashen Grey
Oh ok. What does sea foaming it mean?
JHall651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:59 AM   #8
Compunerd

Seafoam is a cleaning solution, typically used to clean the crankcase and throttle body in the engine. Since the direct injection system doesn't allow for fuel to contact any engine internals, carbon buildup from oil, burn off, and compression is a big problem that can cause damage to the engine and shorten the engines lifespan. Seafoam removes this buildup and any excess oil deposits in the engine and essentially helps restore the engine to a nearly-new condition.

And the main reason I am concerned with changing the oil on my own, aside from saving a considerable amount of money, is because the breather caps aren't EPA approved. Knowing the city I live in, I wouldn't put it past any of the oil change businesses to report it. The cops here absolutely love giving citations for nearly anything they can.

Last edited by Compunerd; 10-22-2012 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
try savin some money and look on your local craigslist for some old ramps. There are always a ton around me for dirt cheap. or you could build it yourself out of wood.

just some ideas