Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
Question on Clear Bra

I've been looking everywhere for some research on clear bra for the ZL1, but I personally want to know the pros and cons on having a clear bra on your car? Will it mess up the paint on down the road? I know if a professional doesnt do it then there is a chance that it could mess up. Please share your thoughts or experiences.

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
Love mine. No complaints here. I've had it on my car for 2 years now. Probably the best Mod you could do. I'd get it installed ASAP. It does its job and works great.
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
GT5Junkie
Banned

Drives: Toyota
I've got them on my 4 year old DD and my 8 month old toy. I believe the 4 year old one is 3M and the new one is Xpel, not sure if there's even a difference as I know there have been some buyouts in the clear bra world.

The 4 year old bra is still in amazing shape, no yellowing or anything. Can't speak as to what happens if I removed them though, never done it.

In general I recommend them, but you also have to think about things realistically. A good clear bra installation probably costs as much as 1.5 front bumper resprays, at least, and no clear bra lasts forever, eventually it'll yellow or cloud or just start looking bad, and will need to be redone. So is it better to always have the clear bra on, or better to have some chips for a while and then respray it.

The only thing I worry about is that I've heard some stories about removing the clear bra and paint chips coming with it, i.e. the paint still chipped, its just that the clear bra held it in place so you couldn't tell. So if you really wanted it back to perfect, you'd have to respray AND re bra.

Like I said though, never done it, so no personal experience, just stories.
GT5Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
Inferno SH

Drives: 2011 Inferno Convertible Camaro SS
clear bra

Just installed the clear bra on mine. According to several sources I checked, the clear bra does not impact the paint down the road. I like having that protection on the front end .
Inferno SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
These topics have bee nthoroughly discussed on this forum and numerous others. I would recommend doing a search. Paint protection film has been out 20 years now and you would be hardpressed to find an exotic without it. So it must be pretty good and work well or the industry would have died off. It will not harm your paint... in fact if you need to remove it in the future the paint will be in BETTER shape than the rest of the car because it will not have been exposed to the environment (no stains, etching, or swirl marks). Films ar MUCH better these days than they were before. Go with Avery Nano Fusion, VentureShield Ultra, or Xpel Ultimate. Those three are really good films. Cover the front of the vehicle and the gills at a minimum.

Last edited by htp autoworks; 02-09-2012 at 03:38 PM.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
wayner

Drives: White SSRS Convertible Edelbrock SC
One con on summit white is that it changed the colour or hue of the paint very slightly.

But I couldn't imagine not having it on now. I love it., no paint chips after one summer of driving 6000 miles.
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
CLEAR BRA installers are NOT created equal; do your homework to find a reputable dealer OR do it yourself if you are expeienced in such matters. I've seen some gut wrenching abortions. It certainly is a better option than a vinyl BRA; that's just begging for rub marks, mold & staining.

I stay away from gravel roads & semis on the highway. I'm more worried about cracking a windshield than a paint chip. At least the Camaro has nicely sloped glass.
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
gmgdave

Drives: 12 ZL1 & 08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
My bodyshop installs Ventureshield at this time there is not a template to cut the ZL1 on the plotter. We have installed alot cars and this product works well for us.

I have not installed on my personal vehicles because I do not the like edge line. I just repaint the front end when it needs it.
2012 ZL1 - #413 - IOM - Mods; Exhaust Commander. GMG Third Brake Light Pulsar, Tinted Windows, color matched Engine cover, ZL1 Floor Mats
gmgdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
stymie

Some folks CLEAR BRA all the way to the windshield so a line isn't apparent. I'm going to opt out on this one. I'll take my chances with a wax job & forgo the film; repaint if necessary.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
Some folks CLEAR BRA all the way to the windshield so a line isn't apparent. I'm going to opt out on this one. I'll take my chances with a wax job & forgo the film; repaint if necessary.
Wax? That does absolutely nothing to stop chips.

Last edited by htp autoworks; 02-04-2012 at 07:49 AM.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
So to not get a clear bra or to get one is the question. I wanna keep my ZL1 in top condition with me driving it everyday

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
stymie

WAX ON
WAX OFF

I'm not afraid of a few paint chips. I'm more concerned about the character in the next lane driving erratically, putting on mascara, eating a BIG MAC & slapping her brats in the back seat.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
I love see through bras on ladies, :tweetz: wait, what are we talking about again?
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #14
Tantalizer43

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
Go with Avery Nano Fusion, VentureShield Ultra, or Xpel Ultimate. Those three are relly good films. Cover the front of the vehicle and the gills at a minimum.
Do your research. I had an installer pass off regular Venture Shield as VentureShield Ultra. It was a crap product from a crap installer and I took it off my car and had to eat the 900 dollars for it. Had to buff my car afterwards too.

I do plan to have the gills re done with Xpel film though.