Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Paint protection!?!?

What are your opinions of the 'paint protection' and interior protection? I just heard of it for the first time about a week ago and does it really work well? Will it help against swirl marks and paint chips??
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
kaveduck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS V8- IOM
I asked myself this question too... then remembered what my dad told me so many years ago before he passed...

"A good wax job and proper car care/washing will leave the exterior looking like new"

Thats probably why when I traded in his 05 vette for my 2010 camaro, I got 29k for the trade in with decent high miles :p

Dealer said it looked flawless
kaveduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Wow. Awesome trade! So you say the pp is a must. I hear the paint on this vehicle is pretty soft though. Will that still keep it from chipping? The dealer said it was some kind of tephlon coating.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:11 AM   #4
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Dealer is an Idiot. Save your money.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #5
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUR72GTO View Post
Dealer is an Idiot. Save your money.
Oh? Well I still don't know anything about it. Can you tell me the specifics?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by K32 Camaro View Post

1. What are your opinions of the 'paint protection' and interior protection?

I just heard of it for the first time about a week ago and does it really work well?

2. Will it help against swirl marks and paint chips??
1. ITS A SCAM. as your dad told you....take care of it. Wash it the right way, and keep it waxed properly......that is the BEST thing you could do. The "paint protection" they are selling you is nothing more than a sealant (not a wax) which means its a synthic wax, after a short time.....ITS GONE, just like your regular wax.

2. NO IT WILL NOT. the way to avoid swirls is to use a proper washing technique, and use quality waxs and sealants. As far as paint chips go....if there are rocks on the road, it will happen. the only thing that will halp to avoid them would to have a "CLEAR BRA", but thats your choice.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
1. ITS A SCAM. as your dad told you....take care of it. Wash it the right way, and keep it waxed properly......that is the BEST thing you could do. The "paint protection" they are selling you is nothing more than a sealant (not a wax) which means its a synthic wax, after a short time.....ITS GONE, just like your regular wax.

2. NO IT WILL NOT. the way to avion swirls is to use a proper washing technique, and use quality waxs and sealants. As far as paint chips go....if there are rocks on the road, it will happen. the only thing that will halp to avoid them would to have a "CLEAR BRA", but thats your choice.
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Snake oil. You're dealing with thieves. One of the oldest sales tricks in the auto business, advertise low prices then kill them with worthless add ons.

If you're concerned about swirl marks, step one is get a light and bright color. Yellow, Orange, White, Silver...

Step two is get some cleaning products from a company like Adams, get their instructional CD. It details stuff like the two bucket system, what towels to use... And the least you touch the car the better. Use only a top quality cotton wash mitt, non of the cheap micro towels from local retail stores, blow dry with a leaf blower, spot dry with detailer spray and a very soft cotton towel. Then just keep it waxed with a top quality wax.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
Hendu

Drives: 2SS 45th Anniv LS3
Dealer tried to sell the same thing to me. I wasn't interested but out of curiousity I asked a question...will it protect against rocks and debris at all? A blank stare followed by a "it'll protect against sun light" made me laugh out loud in front of him.

I think I had to say no 3-4 times before it was said and done.

The other product and question I got was if I wanted the under body coating. They said it'd make my car quieter, which I followed up with "why would I want to do that?"

Mods:
Hurst short throw shifter,Heritage Grille, CAI Inc. cai, Window tint, skip shift eliminator, footwell lighting

To-Do List:
New Exhaust (or muffler delete)
P13w's
and More TBD
Hendu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #10
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
To answer your interior protection question, buy a $5 can of scotch guard. A friend of mine who worked for a Ford dealer told me this was the single best money making scam that he was told to try a sell to every customer at $50-$100 a pop 20 years ago. Wonder how much there soaking people for it now.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #11
Berryp

Drives: 2011 Camaro Vert RS A6
because there is always someone out there that will buy the spell and just say yes!!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
They tried to sell me all kinds of crap when I got my camaro new. Best thing to get is the gap insurance and the maintenance program for oil changes and such. Although I just got the gap insurance personally...
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
but if u get a chip or anything they will repaint it for u so for 500 bucks i think so
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
The paint protection sealants a waste of money. So is the interior protectant. The only thing that is worthwhile buying from a dealer will be a clear bra. That will protect your paint from rock chips. And Camaros have pretty poor paint so they will chip easily. Wax and sealant will not prevent chips.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote