Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #15
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGirl5 View Post
It isnt the driver or the install...McLeod will even tell you that it chatters, I have talked to them, its an agressive clutch. Maybe your thinking about the RST, I have heard that is a little less agressive and doesnt chatter. I know alot of people using McLeods in Camaros and some in Shelby GT-500s and they chatter. I could start a thread on here for McLeod owners and I guarantee you several of them will say it chatters...

I said chatters alot lol

And if you really think its the "driver" then come and drive it...you will see.
Looks like a nice setup. What kind of times are you running?

OP. If you plan on staying stock or close to stock power wise, then going with another stock clutch is fine. If you plan on eventually going with significantly more hp than stock, do you're homework and don't pick a clutch based on price. Go with what has great reviews from owners and what will best fit your needs.
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:17 AM   #16
CamaroGirl5
@moorethrottle

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS F1X 427 LSNext
Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post
Looks like a nice setup. What kind of times are you running?
Low 11's on spray, high 11's NA

I have a bunch of new things now so those will hopefully change in a good way
CamaroGirl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #17
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
No I'm not talking about the RST. Saying that all RXT's chatter is a false statement I don't know what the deal with yours is but I've never driven an rxt or known anyone personally that had chatter. Just about any twin disc will chatter if you lug the clutch enough which would be more noticeable the a cam. If yours or anyone else's chatters and its installed right and it's not your driving there is something wrong. Alot of people would say its the best clutch on the market under 1500. If I was going with a regular clutch I would just throw another stock one in there if it was mine I never had any problems with the stock clutch at a little over 600 Rwhp.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #18
cslee0811

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Hmmmm... I'm starting to understand this clutch ordeal... this might be a really stupid question but... whats chatter? Shudder??? Like these clutches have a life of their own!!!

Last edited by cslee0811; 04-04-2013 at 02:55 PM.
cslee0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
The Street Slayer is a beautiful clutch. I installed a twin disc in a supercharged camaro ss and the clutch is smooth as butter and grabs perfect. It does not put any pressure on the pedal like other clutches either, it feels like stock. It comes with a new throw out bearing and easy to follow directions for installing the new bearing and lapping the clutch discs.

As soon as i put some $$ aside i'm ripping out my ZR1 twin disc and getting a street slayer.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #20
CamaroGirl5
@moorethrottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLE58 View Post
No I'm not talking about the RST. Saying that all RXT's chatter is a false statement I don't know what the deal with yours is but I've never driven an rxt or known anyone personally that had chatter. Just about any twin disc will chatter if you lug the clutch enough which would be more noticeable the a cam. If yours or anyone else's chatters and its installed right and it's not your driving there is something wrong. Alot of people would say its the best clutch on the market under 1500. If I was going with a regular clutch I would just throw another stock one in there if it was mine I never had any problems with the stock clutch at a little over 600 Rwhp.
I never said ALL RXT clutches chatter...but I know alot of people complaining about it. Thats all my point is. I have been talking with McLeod and they said it does happen, its hit or miss. I have had mine out and rebuilt by McLeod twice now, and it still does the same thing so I am just going to deal with it. I do agree that its the best one for the price and thats why its still in my car and will stay in my car.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #21
STSL
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 ZR1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGirl5 View Post
I never said ALL RXT clutches chatter...but I know alot of people complaining about it. Thats all my point is. I have been talking with McLeod and they said it does happen, its hit or miss. I have had mine out and rebuilt by McLeod twice now, and it still does the same thing so I am just going to deal with it. I do agree that its the best one for the price and thats why its still in my car and will stay in my car.
I'm sorry you couldn't swing the Street Slayer this time I know how bad you wanted it but with so many new mods its starts getting crazy lol.I hope when the time comes we can get it worked out for you and give you something you can enjoy.
STSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #22
CamaroGirl5
@moorethrottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Slayer View Post
I'm sorry you couldn't swing the Street Slayer this time I know how bad you wanted it but with so many new mods its starts getting crazy lol.I hope when the time comes we can get it worked out for you and give you something you can enjoy.
I didnt want it that bad lol but thanks...I am actually pretty happy with the mcleod overall. They did the rebuild for free under warranty and it was well over a year of owning it.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #23
Gen5SS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS 6 Spd Manual IOM
My first RXT chattered so bad that even the mechanic that installed said it was the worst chatter he ever felt. I'm now on my second rebuilt RXT and it still chatters. I have a high loping cam and I have to to raise the rpm and slightly slip the clutch in first gear to get it to not jerk. I must admit at high loaded rpm's slipping it to get a good launch it holds. My problem is daily drive ability it chatters all the time. I have done a few high rpm launches and it holds well but I do get chatter and the first one we sent back was only contacting on the top outer edges of the ceramic pads thus the chatter and the new one is doing the same thing so I assume the same thing is happening. It's slightly less than the first one but it's still there. And now the clutch range on the peddle is making contact at 1 inch off the floor to make the car move forward but doesn't feel like it's compressing on the plate any harder past that until the pedal is about 1 inch from the full extension on the pedal. Basically the clutch feels like it starts to engage off 1 inch off the floor and feels like it doesn't get any tighter on the plate for the rest of the travel until about 1 inch from the top of the clutch pedal. If we can't figure this out I'll be looking in another direction.
2010 2SS/RS, 417 stroker, 4.0 Callies crank and rods, JRE pistons w/hellfire nitrous top rings, Kooks 1 7/8 LT, Kooks 3" Exhaust, CAI Intake and Scoop, Cam SullivanGM W/ Hardened PR, Stock Heads. Dual Springs, Mcleod RXT Clutch, Hurst LL W/ Cruise Momentary, GM 3.91 gears, Nitrous Outlet direct port 200 shot, Dedicated Fuel Cell(C16), LNC2000 and NOS Mini controller, BMR suspension w/Bushings, Pfadt Drop, Pfadt Diff Bushings, 1400hp DSS Axles, DSS driveshaft, Solid Engine Mounts, Razzi Body Kit, Speedhut Gauges,T-REX Phantom Grills (Black) 533RWHP/500RWTQ N/A, 724RWHP/816RWTQ 200 Shot
Gen5SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #24
gnturboray

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS LS3 LPE750
I'm running the Mcleod RXT and love it!! I race a lot of auto-cross tracks and it holds up terrific. As far as daily driving, occasionally I get some chatter but I slip it when it starts and problem solved.
gnturboray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #25
redirish

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEALG View Post
The Street Slayer is a beautiful clutch. I installed a twin disc in a supercharged camaro ss and the clutch is smooth as butter and grabs perfect. It does not put any pressure on the pedal like other clutches either, it feels like stock. It comes with a new throw out bearing and easy to follow directions for installing the new bearing and lapping the clutch discs.

As soon as i put some $$ aside i'm ripping out my ZR1 twin disc and getting a street slayer.
IDEAL GARAGE installed my Street Slayer Twin Carbon and i love it! Its a real joy driving the car now. If you have a M6 its well worth the extra money IMHO.
redirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #26
LeanPocket

Drives: 2010 2SS
mcleod rst is what i would get

its softer than stock and can handle stupid hp
Old 04-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #27
STSL
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 ZR1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by redirish View Post
IDEAL GARAGE installed my Street Slayer Twin Carbon and i love it! Its a real joy driving the car now. If you have a M6 its well worth the extra money IMHO.
STSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #28
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
I love my street slayer. from my steady research among me and couple of vette buddies it seems to be Street Slayer(RPS in a vette), RXT, and Mantic as the top 3. (this is an opinion). But my biggest advice is stay away from the LS9R clutch (Fact)