Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
Kainzo

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Battery Issues after Engine Lock from Drive > Reverse > Drive

2011 2SS - 31k miles:

I was driving and got turned around, rather than make a big U-Turn a few miles up, I decided to throw it into reverse for 50 or so feet (I hammered it a little) and then back into Drive to make the proper turn.

After I put it into drive, the accelerator didn't work, I realized that the engine had shut itself off, so I just took out the key, put it in park and then it started up and moved forward without issue.

Now, I'm unsure if the above is the cause of my battery issues, but when I ran to Starbucks and sat in my car listening to the radio with the engine off, I attempted to start it and it wouldn't turn over. It would attempt, the lights would dim a little but nothing. I tried again several times in the span of 5-10 minutes but nothing.

I got a friend to come over and give me a jump and it started up within 1-2 minutes of being connected to their battery. I left the car running for 20-30 minutes to ensure the battery would have sufficient charge on it's own. My brother and I unplugged the main cable in the trunk to the battery and tested the alternator and it showed that it was charging.

Today, I got the beeping sound and a "Service Stabiltrek" message but then it went away immediately and I see no check-engine lights. The lights also flickered quite a bit during the startup but it started.

Is this normal? do I need a new battery? Should I take this in? I'm pretty sure this isnt covered by the warranty I have left (I have everything but bumper-to-bumper and pre-owned)

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Get the battery tested.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote