Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-08-2023, 08:28 PM   #1
dretoven

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
OEM Inspired Digital Octopus Radio - Whats your experience with this company?

Hey gang, got a few questions for anyone who's dealt with Digital Octopus and their 5th gen aftermarket radios.

- What was your overall experience? (Please provide details if you don't mind)
- Did the company provide adequate support to address any issues you encountered?
- Any quality assurance issues?
- Any issues with returns or warranty exchanges?

I bit the bullet last week and bought a radio from their website, still pending shipping. It's a new unit they're offering with a design based off the MyLink system but adds all the modern features you would typically see in a newer aftermarket radio. I mainly want it for apple car play, I would typically prefer an aftermarket radio from Alpine or Pioneer but all the aftermarket dash kits for our 5th Gens are hideous imo.

This digital octopus radio really hit it on the nail in terms of resemblance to OEM, plus the demonstration on their instagram page is what really sold me (Pic of the radio below).

While getting anxious for my radio to arrive, I came across a couple posts on reddit where people had negative things to say about this company and its products. I also saw a couple of negative comments under one of their instagram posts that were conveniently removed a day later. There's also a handful of videos on youtube of individuals installing various digital octopus radios in their 5th gens and they seem to be functioning fine according to the comments section.

I think the general consensus surrounding their products is that they're drop shipped from overseas and they tweak the software before re-selling. I wasn't able to find this particular product anywhere online like their other radios so thats somewhat of a plus.

Please share your positive and/or negative experiences with this company and their products. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by dretoven; 07-09-2023 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Better grammer
dretoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 09:31 PM   #2
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
I am curious as well, Please post back with your thoughts once you get it and if you could please post pictures as well. I agree with you pretty much every aftermarket dash kit I have seen looks horrible imo. Do you have a link? I think the stock my link looks nice and fits the car.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 07:04 AM   #3
dretoven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.G View Post
I am curious as well, Please post back with your thoughts once you get it and if you could please post pictures as well. I agree with you pretty much every aftermarket dash kit I have seen looks horrible imo. Do you have a link? I think the stock my link looks nice and fits the car.
I plan on posting pics once I have it installed and giving a review of how it functions. I agree the MyLink looks really clean in our cars, it’s UI is just so dated. I have the MyLink in my SS now and just didn’t see anything on the market worth replacing it with until this.

Here’s a link to the digital octopus radio if you wanted to take a look. It’s pricey for sure, but that’s just how desperate I want apple CarPlay lol.

https://digitaloctopusradio.com/products/do2
Old 07-09-2023, 08:11 AM   #4
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
That is a bit pricey, curious how the dash kit matches color wise.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 08:30 AM   #5
dretoven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.G View Post
That is a bit pricey, curious how the dash kit matches color wise.
The color matching is something that also worries me, I may return it if it's too far off from the original.

Last edited by dretoven; 07-09-2023 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-09-2023, 05:33 PM   #6
NZZL1

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 Camaro M6
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=42

Last edited by NZZL1; 07-11-2023 at 12:12 AM.
NZZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 06:07 PM   #7
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZZL1 View Post
Error 404
Old 07-10-2023, 03:14 PM   #8
dretoven

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZZL1 View Post
NZZL1, getting error 404 on the link you shared.
Old 07-10-2023, 03:33 PM   #9
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
The company basically imports and resells chinese mockup hardware with a name on it. Their very self biased when it comes to how they handle negative reviews or comments. They tend to block, ban or delete anything that negatively impacts their image even if it is a legit issue. I honestly would not touch their products. Their "warranty" isnt good either. many people complain about having to fight with them to get anything done. Their "software updates" dont do anything to improve on the known bugs either.

My advice, Avoid them like the plague.
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 12:13 AM   #10
NZZL1

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 Camaro M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dretoven View Post
NZZL1, getting error 404 on the link you shared.
Oops, link corrected
NZZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 12:34 AM   #11
ZED/28

Drives: '69 Camaro LSX/T56 & '14 Z/28 LPE+
It's the internet, but I read somewhere not long ago about a customer who bought one of their gen5 Camaro head units and it started a fire in the car. YMMV
ZED/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 06:44 AM   #12
dretoven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED/28 View Post
It's the internet, but I read somewhere not long ago about a customer who bought one of their gen5 Camaro head units and it started a fire in the car. YMMV
That’s nuts, reading things like that really makes me want to cancel the order. It just seems like everything I see online regarding them is so extreme. They either love the products or they absolutely hate them with their core. It’s hard to make a judgement call lol.
Old 07-11-2023, 07:04 PM   #13
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I have bought the Digital Dash using the link they provided and have it installed. So far the support has been very good with useful updates posted on their site. I have no complaints about them. It is correct that the units are chinese but the unit I purchased is directly designed for the 5th gen Camaro. It needs some software tweaking but as long as they push the manufacturer to do the updates I'm a happy camper.
I think this is a new company trying to get a hold on the market. As long as we support them I don't think we have much to worry about. I just don't want them to go away. I need the updates and support. I do wish there was a way to contact them directly if we need direct support.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 11:57 AM   #14
dretoven

Radio came in the mail today, looks pretty nice in person. I plan on installing it today or tomorrow if time permits. I'm a little worried about how flush it will sit in the dash based on some of the videos I've seen on the digital octopus instagram page. Also worried how my sub system will sound once the swap is complete.

I'll post back with the results for anyone who's interested.
Attached Images

Last edited by dretoven; 07-29-2023 at 12:24 PM.