Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 02-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
How newb friendly is HP Tuners?

Just wanna get the pro tuner's opinions on this. Is the software somewhat easy to learn? at least the bare basics for now?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
Mike@DS

Drives: 99 Z28
Have you checked out HPtuners website and forums?

All of your questions will be answered there.....except the most important one, are you comfortable editing your PCM with its multitude of timing and fuel tables, TM settings, etc.
Mike@DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
Roger Ramjet
Motor Head

Drives: CTS-V
The software is pretty easy to learn. The 'How to' and 'What to do' requires much more effort. The Camaro ECM/TCM have functions that are not visible or changeable with HPT. Volumetric Efficiency and Power Enrichment adjustments are obscure and intricate. You need a wide-band O2 to do full throttle tuning. And, the HPT system causes a bias in the recorded AFR that can be confusing.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport View Post
most important one, are you comfortable editing your PCM with its multitude of timing and fuel tables, TM settings, etc.
This is what it boils down to. You can seriously screw some stuff up, so you have to be willing to take the risk and willing to sit down and learn.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
Ghost of Vincent Price
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I hopped in around December and have learned tons in a few months. The way I see it is, you cant really make sense of anything you read on the net until you actually have the product. Its a lot scarier of a concept then the reality of when you get it. Most of the tables explain themselves and there are plenty of good tuners on hptuners, ls1tech, ect ect that are more than willing to help out. Furthermore if you plan on getting serious you could always order The Tuning Schools learn at home course. Its kind of pricy, but nothing but great reviews. I just ordered the trans tuning guide from them so I could dial in my trans. Most of the 6l80e stuff on the net is still guesswork.

But yes HP Tuners is pretty start up friendly. There are even differnet tables it will eliminate based on if you are a beginner / intermediate / pro tuner.

My buddy has efi live and I looked at it like WTF?
Ghost of Vincent Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
EuroCamaro

HPTuners is the way to go

my advice is read out your standard tune...then save it in various places (USB, Hardrive etc)

Then after that only change ONE thing at a time, (maybe start with speed limiter) then test the car

As a backup to start with always use the "compare" feature to show you the difference from your OEM tune, this way you can make sure you have not done anything by mistake!!!!

To really get the best from the software you Will need a good wide band AFR meter .........and it's a good idea to hard wire it in to the exhaust system (Left bank if you can.

Enjoy
EuroCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
DSteck
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroCamaro View Post
Left bank if you can.
This is good advice. EVERY LS-powered vehicle I've tuned ran leaner on the left bank.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
E85LSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
This is good advice. EVERY LS-powered vehicle I've tuned ran leaner on the left bank.
What's the reason behind this?

I'm assuming it would have to be due intake desing and more airflow to the left bank if this is tru. What is the difference between the banks that you have observed?

E85LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
EuroCamaro

The in balance is not much.......just a few %..........say right bank at 12.7 the left would be 12.8-9 at "wot"

So best practice is to tune to the lean bank and run a little rich on the right.

There are ways to fix this lean bank but 99% of cars it is not worth it.

This in balance comes from the back cylinder on the left bank running a bit hotter (why?? position, water flow, design??) ....if you are serious look at the EGT on each cylinder.
EuroCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
DSteck
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by E85LSX View Post
What's the reason behind this?

I'm assuming it would have to be due intake desing and more airflow to the left bank if this is tru. What is the difference between the banks that you have observed?
I couldn't tell you the exact reason, but I'd imagine it has to do with fuel delivery in the rail as well as airflow distribution in the manifold. The difference is typically only 2-3% between the sides.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
E85LSX

Hmm well with the inaccuracy of our gauges and fuel injectors it would be stupid to try and tune the car right on the edge anyway. I shoot for a 12.5 to be safe, maybe if I had a $5,000 wideband (or two) and flow matched injectors I would go a little leaner.

E85LSX is offline   Reply With Quote