Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #113
Unfair
Banned

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ummmmmm, so you don't think this was Brembo's design to fix the noise?????? This isn't an add on, it's part of the caliper designed by Brembo.

And you guys may want to check the calipers on some of the more expensive cars. They use a very siimilar design to what the Camaro now has. So quit bashing GM. This is a typical industry wide solution.
I am sorry but a typical industry wide solution is wheel weights on hot brake calipers and then some kind of weight wheels attached to the brakes that stand out that much? what industry is this typical in?
Unfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #114
camaromoe

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS Aqua Blue
does anyone know if the dealer is going to fix this problem???
camaromoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #115
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
I have an early run car... 17xxx. I have the stick on wheel weights and notice a bit of squealing still. Though the newest change might look worse, does it actually cure the problem?? I'd be ok with it as long as they actually fix the problem.

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #116
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromoe View Post
does anyone know if the dealer is going to fix this problem???
It depends on your definition of "problem". Getting a high-performance brake system with a fixed, opposed-piston caliper to be quiet under all conditions is a very tall order. Most car manufacturers supplying these type of brakes will consider some noise normal. Excessive noise is not. However, your definition of normal vs. excessive noise might be miles apart from a service manager's.

Also keep in mind that the large 1-piece rotor is contributing significantly to noise (NVH) issues. The rotor acts a bit like a bell, ringing at each of it's natural frequencies. If during a braking event the rotor is excited at a certain frequency, it will amplify the vibration causing the pad to oscillate in the caliper. If it happens above 16k Hertz, most people won't hear it -- your dog might! Below that, we hear brake squeal. For me, I've been around motorsports long enough to not hear well above 12k Hertz or so. Maybe I'm lucky?

It could be that a 2-piece rotor (with an aluminum hat) would probably damp most, if not all, noise. It doesn't work all of the time, but works far more often than not on other cars. Again, it depends on other factors as well. Sometimes it will work on 9 out of 10 identical cars, with the one being impossible to cure completely.

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #117
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
it is ugly, very ugly

wheel weights were better... good thing I already have mine!
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #118
johncaye
Pavementguy

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Brake noise

My ss/rs has no brake noise. Is it or will it become a problem with wear or?
johncaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #119
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I cant believe some of you, have you not even read this thread because some of you are clearly confused about what were talking about here. Were not talking about the stick on weights anymore. Please read the first post on the first page of this thread, then post.

And for the record, I havent seen any other Brembo equipped car with any weights or dumbbells used to quiet down the brakes. Not sure why specifically the camaro is having this problem.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #120
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Of the two choices, stick on or mouse barbells, I would take the barbells. The weights look like something stuck on as an afterthought.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:32 AM   #121
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
Of the two choices, stick on or mouse barbells, I would take the barbells. The weights look like something stuck on as an afterthought.
So do the training wheels.... only they are so huge and so close to the wheel that they not only look stuck on afterthoughts but they look like stuck on afterthoughts with flashing lights and bells calling your attention to them.

The sticky weights are much less attention-grabbing!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #122
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder View Post
And for the record, I havent seen any other Brembo equipped car with any weights or dumbbells used to quiet down the brakes.
Well, here ya go...

Porsche Cayenne as equipped by Brembo:

Cayenne front pads:

Cayenne rear:

Porsche Cayman as equipped by Brembo:

Porsche Cayman front pads:

Here's another version of slightly more aesthetic add-on caliper weights on the BMW 135i. Those blocks are steel, bolted to a Brembo aluminum 6-piston caliper.

There are more. The Camaro is not unique in this area.

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #123
GNVenom
Turbos. Turbos. Turbos.

Drives: 2010 SS Yellow/Black
I think the "barbell" dampeners were put there because they could fit within the wheel space. The larger dampeners have more of an effect on harmonic dampening - greater range. The downside, as it turns out, is that you can't put 18 inch wheels on the car (winter tires and wheels). My ride doesn't use the bigger dampeners so the MODA wheel does actually fit without issues.

I'm thinking it's a sort of band-aid. It wouldn't bother me in the least whether I had them or not.

Caspers Electronics Inc.
Loveland CO
2010 2SS/RS Yellow/Black > http://www.bummlbe.com
GNVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #124
sfgiantsfan9

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS and 2001 Ford F250
I'm taking delivery of my 2SS/RS tomorrow morning at 10am but I went to the dealer today to see her and my car has them. They honestly aren't that bad looking at all. Without a trained eye knowing what to look for, they aren't going to call any attention. If these work to stop the squeeling that I've read so many of you talk about then I am all for them. But seriously, they aren't ridiculous looking or anything like that.
sfgiantsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #125
2ss-booya

Drives: 2015 SS Sedan M6
I don't see them as a problem actually. I didn't spend 85k on my camaro..and I don't expect to have the same components/design that come with an 85k car. At least there is a fix.

However, I do have the mouse barbells, and the brakes sqeak after a hard brake. I.E. 80 to 25mph...but only for a few seconds. After that, it doesn't sqeak again.
2ss-booya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #126
Don O
Camaro and Vettehead

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM L99 69 427/400 Vette
30 years from now these early design calipers are going to be very expensive to find to make your car "factory correct". Enjoy 'em while ya gotta em.

Don O

Don O is offline   Reply With Quote