Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-17-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
angelicsowner

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Claybar before clear bra?

Hey guys,

So we're getting a clear bra put on on monday. I asked the guy if I could/should wax it before I bring it in, and he said they'd strip off the wax if we did, so it would kinda be a waste of time and to just bring it in fairly clean.

My question is if I plan to Zaino & claybar the maro, and I wait to do it after the clear bra is on, will the clear bra'd section look different than the rest of the car because I claybar after the clear bra? Is it hugely noticeable? Should I just wax the whole thing anyway and trust the shop to strip the wax?

I dont imagine that you can claybar the clear bra and have it look the same, so should I at least claybar the car?

Thanks for any help!
angelicsowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
I say leave the Zaino off until after the clear bra is installed. If you want it adhere properly and do it's job without coming off, don't Zaino yet.

You might as well clay bar the entire car before sending it to get the bra put on. At least you know that the surface prep was consistent across the entire car, even under the clear bra. Once the bra is on, then wash the entire thing and Zaino the heck out of all of it.

At least, that's my opinion and what I'd do.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
You can wait to clay and polish.

Claying removes the "fine" contaminants from the paint. You can feel the difference in the feel of the paint surface after claying - it should feel like glass after claying.

That being said, there really won't be any noticeable difference in appearance if you wait to clay and polish. The clear bra will cover the paint, hence, you won't need to be concerned with the feel.

Now! If you want the paint entirely free of contaminants prior to the bra being installed, I'd recommend getting an OTC clay kit and just doing the nose section for now, finishing the entire vehicle once its completed.

Personally, I'd probably just concentrate on giving the car a good "bath", clay just the nose section, and once it's back, I'd use Zaino's clay and polishes on the rest of the car.

I hope that helped?

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
angelicsowner

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Awesome! Thanks for the responses guys! Its kinda what I figured, but it never hurts to check!

Thanks again!
angelicsowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
I clay bared it. . didn't wax though. .
Old 07-17-2009, 11:55 PM   #6
Cheshirelaugh

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro
It would bug me knowing/thinking there are contaminants under the clearbra. I'd claybar it, but as other's have said, no wax.
Built 5/15
Delivered 6/19
Picked-up 6/22
Cheshirelaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
WhyMe

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro 2SS
How tough is Zaino to use? I used to have an '02 SOM WS6 and after using the clay bar and Meguiars Crystal Polish would use the Meguiars TechWax. Had some friends that swore by Zaino but no one could tell a difference in shine or how long it lasted. They described what it took to get the Zaino right and it sounded like a lot of trouble. Now am the proud owner of a 2010Summit White 2SS and want to start it off right.
WhyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyMe View Post
How tough is Zaino to use? I used to have an '02 SOM WS6 and after using the clay bar and Meguiars Crystal Polish would use the Meguiars TechWax. Had some friends that swore by Zaino but no one could tell a difference in shine or how long it lasted. They described what it took to get the Zaino right and it sounded like a lot of trouble. Now am the proud owner of a 2010Summit White 2SS and want to start it off right.
The majority of those who have used Zaino will agree, it's very easy to use. There are exceptions and varying opinions, as there is with any "thing". But IMO, its well worth the investment, and the "returns" (incredible shine and the best durability out there) are "first rate".

If you decided to go with Zaino, feel free to PM me, and I'll "walk you through" the process. I promise you! Its simple to use.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Clay bar is optonal before the clear bra. I would also wait to Zaino if they are going to strip it off any way. I used to strip the wax before installing film but honestly it doesnt make any difference and the film will adhere just as well. In fact if anything I have noticed that if for some reason you have to remove film in the future it comes off a little easier leaving less adhesive.

By the way, Zaino is excellent for paint protection film.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
NickJRE

Drives: Nothing Fun.
I agree with rolnslo. I'd Claybar it and wipe it down with 50/50 Iso Alcohol and Water and at least you know the prep is good. The one thing I do - I do a light polish to remove any minor haze, than wipe down with iso/water. I think the end result is perfect.
NickJRE is offline   Reply With Quote