Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Can the back seat lay down?

Can the back seat lay flat to expand trunk space like the coupes do? I have a 2014 vert and the manual shows to pull up on a strap behind the seat to lay it down. Mine doesn't have a strap, so I re-read the manual and noticed that it says, "the coupe seat can be folded for more cargo space by pulling this strap, [etc.]." I realize that the manual is multi-model, but it doesn't say that the vert seat can't be folded, and I don't see where that would interfere with the top going up and down. Is the seat fixed to be only in the upright position?
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Dznyfn

Drives: 13 1SS Vert, 05 Tahoe Z71, 67 RS/SS
Behind the back of the back seat is where the sub woofer for the stereo is located, hence the open fabric area. Also to maintain the rigidity this is where additional bracing for the body has been placed to keep the coupe feel in the vert.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #3
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
The convertible back seat will not lay down to open access to the trunk area (without tools to remove the seat back) as a security feature to prevent a thief from gaining access to items in the trunk if the top is down.

If the top is down and the doors are locked, the trunk release button on the door will be deactivated as well, providing a secure trunk to hold items.

The manual specifies the coupe only to differentiate the feature of the pass thru area that it has that the convertible does not.

Additionally, a pass thru area for the convertible could cause issues with items poking up into the top storage area causing damage to the top or water management bag as the top is retracted.

So, it is a mixed bag for us convertible owners ... security and damage prevention vs the convenience of putting longer items into a trunk that already has a smaller opening.
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
SatSky08

Drives: '08 Saturn Sky, '14 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnyaTek View Post

If the top is down and the doors are locked, the trunk release button on the door will be deactivated as well, providing a secure trunk to hold items.

This is the one feature of the convertible design that continues to bug me. What is to prevent someone from reaching over the door and pressing the door unlock button, and then opening the trunk?
Old 07-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
scandata

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatSky08 View Post
This is the one feature of the convertible design that continues to bug me. What is to prevent someone from reaching over the door and pressing the door unlock button, and then opening the trunk?
That's such a simple and obvious way to beat this "theft deterrent", and it went right over the heads of Chevy's engineers! It was probably thought up by the crew that designed the leaky tops on the '10 - '12 models!

If that's how it works then this could happen too:

Old 07-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
walters477

Drives: white 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatSky08 View Post
The manual locks on the doors do not work either when the doors are locked with the remote
walters477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
scandata

Thanks for all the speedy replies - now I know.

The coupe owners got a movable rear seat and we didn't, but we got a sub-woofer out of the deal! For me at least, I'd say we came out ahead.

And I'll have to let my dealer know too - he told me that my back seat does go down. He owns a Camaro coupe and I guess he just assumed they all have movable seats. Incidentally, he also said mine wouldn't come with a sub-woofer. The man needs to do his homework!
Old 07-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
SatSky08

Quote:
Originally Posted by walters477 View Post
The manual locks on the doors do not work either when the doors are locked with the remote
Yep! I went out and tested it and thought, "This is dumb, you just reach over and unlock the door." Then I noticed the red security system light on the dash. With a little experimentation I found that if you wait until the system goes into "armed" mode (light changes from steady to fast flashing) then none of the door buttons work and you can't unlock the doors or the trunk without the fob.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Now (after 2500 miles) I know how to lock my trunk!
Old 07-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #9
scandata

+1 on SatSky's last post!
Old 07-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by walters477 View Post
Actually, this can be done by pressing the driver's side lock to lock the doors on exiting the vehicle without using the keyfob as well.
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:49 AM   #11
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
So if you exit your car and lock it with the key fob, but leave someone inside, that person could not exit the car by just unlocking the door from the inside????????? Trapped inside????

Doesn't make sense...
babaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #12
SatSky08

I'll confirm this next time I have the top up, but I believe this situation occurs only with the top down.

I was wrong, see below.

A couple of other observations: You don't need the fob -- with the driver's door closed you can open the passenger door, push the lock button, close the door, and the security system activates. It takes about 30 seconds for the system to arm itself after which none of the door buttons (door unlock, trunk unlock) will work. Again, that is with the top down. Note: I have my locking system set so that I can't lock the doors with the driver's door button (rather than the three chime and five second lock delay option). The button will lock both doors but the driver's door will immediately unlock. Only my fob will lock the driver's door.

Well, it's even more complicated than that. The driver's door button will lock both doors if both doors are already closed (you can lock yourself in for safety, for example) but it won't lock the driver's door if that door is already open.

Wish this was documented in the manual. Someone needs to draw a logic diagram showing all the locking system configurations!

Last edited by SatSky08; 07-15-2014 at 08:16 AM.
SatSky08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #13
SatSky08

Smile

OK, finally got to test it with the top up. It doesn't matter whether the top is up or down, windows up or down, etc. Once the security system arms (red light on top of dash flashing) all of the door buttons are disabled.

SO... You can lock someone in?

NO -- you can always open either door by pulling the door handle twice.

BUT... if the system is armed and you open a door that way the alarms goes off, and the trunk is still locked.

Wow, did we ever stray off topic on this one -- but a good discussion. I learned a lot!

Old 07-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #14
Steeler NY

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM Vert
Funny how this thread took a turn

One More thing if the security system is armed and you reach in and pop open the hood the alarm will go off!

That is a little embarrassing when some one wants to see under the hood

Tags
back seat, cargo space, lay flat