Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by plus1zero View Post
I don't really see why you'd want a V8/LS3 in a sedan...I mean with what you're gonna pay for this most likely you could get a Camaro. If you're getting a sedan, you're typically getting it for:

-Better MPG
-Family vehicle
-Economy/passengers

None of those reasons go hand in hand with a reason to own a V8. I mean if you see one of these...are you going to be impressed by the V8? I wouldn't...I just can't fathom why you'd want a sedan that travels that fast. Kinda defeats the purpose..
Because you need a back seat for passengers but don't want to compromise performance. It's a niche market but the market exists.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #16
colemanvoice
team chicklet camaro

Drives: MOTL3Y
I'm a hater of the name. By the way, it's ugly too. My opinion.

So when I say I drive a Camaro SS, does that mean I drive 2 cars?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #17
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Because you need a back seat for passengers but don't want to compromise performance. It's a niche market but the market exists.
Exactly. CTS-v, G8, ATS, etc - each their own flavor of performance. There's a market for performance Sedans.

That said - I really, really, really hate the "SS" name being the name of the car. I really, really, really think it should have been Caprice SS or Chevelle. I just can't get over the poor choice in name. I think this is going to be the naming blunder equivalent to the design blunder of the Pontiac Aztec.

Furthermore - from a price point perspective, it's typical GM. Trying to market all of our cars as upscale so they tack on a premium. Honestly it's something I'm really getting tired of seeing - cars are just too damned expensive anymore and there's not enough cool cars in the cheap segment. Hell I could just barely afford my 2012 1LS Camaro at $390/month payments. They talk about wanting to connect with Millenials - well stop pricing all the nice cars out of our reach and maybe you'd connect with more of us. I just don't like that it is going to be priced higher than the Impala. If I'm going to pay $40k for the base model sedans, I'd be looking at Cadillacs... not Chevrolet.

Lastly, design... While I don't dislike the car, I really wish it looked more aggressive than it does. The Ford Fusion looks aggressive. This car just looks beige with some lipstick.

As much as I'm a die hard GM fanboy, the more I read about the "SS" car the more upset I get.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #18
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
Exactly. CTS-v, G8, ATS, etc - each their own flavor of performance. There's a market for performance Sedans.

That said - I really, really, really hate the "SS" name being the name of the car. I really, really, really think it should have been Caprice SS or Chevelle. I just can't get over the poor choice in name. I think this is going to be the naming blunder equivalent to the design blunder of the Pontiac Aztec.

Furthermore - from a price point perspective, it's typical GM. Trying to market all of our cars as upscale so they tack on a premium. Honestly it's something I'm really getting tired of seeing - cars are just too damned expensive anymore and there's not enough cool cars in the cheap segment. Hell I could just barely afford my 2012 1LS Camaro at $390/month payments. They talk about wanting to connect with Millenials - well stop pricing all the nice cars out of our reach and maybe you'd connect with more of us. I just don't like that it is going to be priced higher than the Impala. If I'm going to pay $40k for the base model sedans, I'd be looking at Cadillacs... not Chevrolet.

Lastly, design... While I don't dislike the car, I really wish it looked more aggressive than it does. The Ford Fusion looks aggressive. This car just looks beige with some lipstick.

As much as I'm a die hard GM fanboy, the more I read about the "SS" car the more upset I get.
At first look , first impression , they are digging a hole , again .
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #19
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
The wheels look to me exactly the same as the wheels that come on the 2013 Camaro 1LT...except 1" bigger. Not exactly what I'd think you'd see on a "premium" car.

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #20
Kerr

Drives: 67 vette
all good points, but there isnt a car on the market that has all that in the price range. I bet that car will be high $30's low $40's maybe even less. Most of the car has been around so they dont have to recover all the R&D on it.

A CTS-V as mentioned above is $70K+ new... and used they are still in the $40's for 09 models.
only other bigger GM car is the Impala, and they are in the $30K rang for a new one. The 2014 gets a lot of up dates and will probably be $40k... and still not a lot of fun.

The malibu looks good but most people will guy the impala because its bigger.

Then you have the big XTS caddie, but lets be honest no one is going to walk into gm dealer to look at SS and leave in grandpaws XTS. I mean id ride the wheels off one but 300 hp boat vs 415 sports sedan is not in same ball game.

We have a 2011 SS, a 67 vette i probably put 300 a year on, the denali, and the old faithful 8.1L suburban thats turboed lol, Its just a pain in the butt to put kids in and out of the camaro, and well kids and the vette dont work. i dont drive it for work becuase i usually have clients. anyone with legs cant fit in the camaro, and well im not paying for a CTS-V to log a 150+ miles on a day.. Id say the cars will sale like crazy. The G8 was a good car, just blaa inside.. and GM will not sale the caprice to the public. so if you want a fun quick sedan you dont have many options..

the E350 benz is $51K for base model, and has 301 hp v6... if you want the hot rod E63 your base price is $90K and it gets 500hp.. same goes for BMW.
a 528 bmw is $48K with 280hp step up the 550 and its $65K for 400 hp if you go all out for the M5 starts at $91K for 560 hp...
same with Lexus, a GS350 sport starts at $53K for 300 hp,

Only other option is like Ford, maybe a taurus SHO, and they are $40K with 365 hp...
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #21
Kerr

Drives: 67 vette
My photo shop skills are not the best. The problem with that front end on the silver is the wth? bumper in the center.. I blacked it out as you can see.

It also looks better in a dark color.. Nothing that wouldnt be hard to fix.. can of plastic dip and bam... lot better looking
Attached Images

Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #22
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Every day when I walk to my car I pass by a Ford Focus that has that same matte black bar that goes across the lower grille and every day I think "God does that look hideous..."

Imagine my surprise when they release the photos of the SS and I see that same damn black bar.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #23
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_warrior View Post
I'm not impressed with the style of the car. I liked the G8 better but that's just me.
+1, the car is just not aggressive looking enough for me. Love the interior though.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #24
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
all good points, but there isnt a car on the market that has all that in the price range. I bet that car will be high $30's low $40's maybe even less. Most of the car has been around so they dont have to recover all the R&D on it.

A CTS-V as mentioned above is $70K+ new... and used they are still in the $40's for 09 models.
only other bigger GM car is the Impala, and they are in the $30K rang for a new one. The 2014 gets a lot of up dates and will probably be $40k... and still not a lot of fun.

The malibu looks good but most people will guy the impala because its bigger.

Then you have the big XTS caddie, but lets be honest no one is going to walk into gm dealer to look at SS and leave in grandpaws XTS. I mean id ride the wheels off one but 300 hp boat vs 415 sports sedan is not in same ball game.

We have a 2011 SS, a 67 vette i probably put 300 a year on, the denali, and the old faithful 8.1L suburban thats turboed lol, Its just a pain in the butt to put kids in and out of the camaro, and well kids and the vette dont work. i dont drive it for work becuase i usually have clients. anyone with legs cant fit in the camaro, and well im not paying for a CTS-V to log a 150+ miles on a day.. Id say the cars will sale like crazy. The G8 was a good car, just blaa inside.. and GM will not sale the caprice to the public. so if you want a fun quick sedan you dont have many options..

the E350 benz is $51K for base model, and has 301 hp v6... if you want the hot rod E63 your base price is $90K and it gets 500hp.. same goes for BMW.
a 528 bmw is $48K with 280hp step up the 550 and its $65K for 400 hp if you go all out for the M5 starts at $91K for 560 hp...
same with Lexus, a GS350 sport starts at $53K for 300 hp,

Only other option is like Ford, maybe a taurus SHO, and they are $40K with 365 hp...
lolwut.

Try more $64k. $70k is Escalade Hybrid territory.

And an Impala LTZ V6 starts at $37ish. It'll top out around $40k but that's where the SS comes in.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #25
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
nice car, wrong moniker. That is all.
I wholeheartedly agree Tori!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Danica wins the pole! Gordon right beside her! Go Chevy!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=dawTPtI0i9g
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #27
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
Thumbs down

I hope this is some kind of cruel joke. I'm not amused. SS As nameplate sad so sad wtf is this world coming to.

This is just disgraceful.......DISAPPOINTMENT.

Hope this ain't that z28 everybody hoping for.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #28
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Looks like...a car
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote