Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-31-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Angry There needs to be a mandatory second drivers license test!!!

So I'm on the way to work this morning, and I'm not even one minute down the street from my apartment when some old ass granny starts pulling out of the grocery store parking lot and into the street, right as I'm approaching that area [I'm not pulling in the store entrance, I'm just headed down the street that runs in front of the entrance]. I see her pulling out, and think she'll for sure stop when she sees a bright red Camaro in plain sight, just a few yards from her. But she doesn't stop. She just keeps pulling out. I lay on the horn [and keep on it, I might add], but she still doesn't stop. She's now just feet away from my car, and slightly increasing speed, which would inevitably land her in my passenger seat if she doesn't stop. So I slam on the brake and swing the wheel to the left, steering the car in the opposing lane of traffic, just narrowly missing the end of the newly built concrete median. And with my tires screeching, she finally sees me and stops! I slammed on the brake so hard that my sunroof interior lid went slamming shut and my lunch in the passenger seat went flying to the dash and on the floor. Now, at a complete stop, I look over at the old meemaw in the 90's Ford Taurus, and she has a look on her face like she had done absolutely nothing wrong, and she just slowly backed up back into the store's parking lot. I raised my fist at her [but not my middle finger ] and sped off...
I know that some of you that are reading this are going to know my pain. And then some of you are going to think I'm being an insensitive ass. But I'm not a jerk who "hates old people" or anything like that. I am just a FIRM believer that there is a certain age where people are TOO OLD to drive safely anymore. The woman that I "met" this morning was a prime example of that. She looked like she was 100 years old, and obviously had no clue what she was doing behind the wheel. My car is pretty easy to see, but yet she didn't see me until she was almost a permanent part of my passenger side door. And keep in mind that I was LAYING on the horn. So she didn't hear me, either. I think there needs to be a mandatory second drivers license test for seniors, and that test should be given every few years after that.
I realize that there are plenty of seniors that are in great health, and they can drive just as well as they could when they were young. My parents, for example, are in their 70's, and they both still drive perfectly fine. But there are a TON of seniors out there that are just not physically or mentally able to drive safely anymore, and it puts them, and other's lives in danger.

Sorry for the obvious forum rant, here. And I know there's nothing anybody on here can do to make a mandatory second drivers license test happen, but I knew that a lot of you would at least understand what I'm talking about. I have no problem with our senior citizens, but some of them need to get the hell off the road... If you have a similar story, please share it. And thanks for reading my rage post...
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
Candy_Camaro
Amanda

Drives: 2014 ZL1
When I was 16 and in my government class, we needed to come up with some sort of Bill that we drafted up and tried to pass in our class. Mine was on people over 60 and driving. They neeed to take vision tests yearly (or every 5 year's until the age of 70) and also do road tests yearly. If they failed, they could not ever get another driver's license. I passed it, unanimously. :-)

Glad you didn't get in an accident!
Candy_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
You went too far, man...

Old 10-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
It's a good thing people can't just buy their driver's license. "It's an EARNED privilage"
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Amanda, that's awesome!!!

Midnighter, I completely agree....

Iwantone2, what do you mean??

[Sorry for the lack of quotes on all of these. I tried to quote all 3 and it wouldn't post them for some reason...]
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
dangjohnny

Drives: ‘21 ZL1 1LE 6MT
That happens to most people alot I am sure. It sucks.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:28 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Adam, there are drivers of all ages that truely don't pay attention to what they are doing.....with that said....I have taken a little PREEMPTIVE MEASURE....so if they don't see me, they damn sure will hear me!!
Old 10-31-2012, 04:06 AM   #8
JoansDriver
Hoser Orange

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
In BC we have a graduated license system. We have stickers on cars to signify two specific kinds of drivers. N is for "new driver". L is for "learners". And now (but not officially a part of the system) there are S's for "seniors" floating around. If you are too ****ing old to drive, you get off the ****ing road. You shouldn't have to be warning us with a big warning sign "SENIOR CITIZEN DRIVING HERE", in the form of an S on your bumper. These people are a hazard.
JoansDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:06 AM   #9
05SilverStreak

Drives: Black aSS 2011 - L99
My grandmother, (rest in peace), quit driving when she was 65 because she couldnt see well. She hit a curb one time and decided that was it. I wasnt until years later I was able to understand the good that she had done. People need to know when to say when. Even if it inconveiences other family member to run errands or take them places. Im sure ther weill be posts like "respect the ederly", and "what about their independence?", but untill you have a wreck like that or a close call. You will say what you want. And dont count on the DMV to help because they dont even help those who can see. +1 for OP.........
05SilverStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Think about why insurance is so expensive for younger drivers and lower for older drivers. The insurance companys base the cost on claims and payouts. Younger drivers are a larger problem than the elderly.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:54 AM   #11
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS JFB
There are plenty of seniors that drive better and safer than most people, but definitely some that have passed the point of being able to drive safety.

We had it happen with a family member. It's a difficult situation taking away someone's independence. States need to step up and require driving tests after age 70.

There are also drivers around here that I think are much more dangerous than seniors. There is no politically correct way to say who I mean, but it makes me wonder who is passing them when they take their driving tests......
SSBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:09 AM   #12
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
I too have seen countless examples of DWO.

There was a newspaper story here in Wisconsin a couple years ago of a little old lady from Iowa who got into here car one morning to go to the grocery store a few blocks away from here house. She got lost and later that night, ultimately ended up in a nearby town here in Wisconsin almost 200 miles from home. Someone that out of it simply is not capable of safely operating a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC View Post
Think about why insurance is so expensive for younger drivers and lower for older drivers. The insurance companys base the cost on claims and payouts. Younger drivers are a larger problem than the elderly.
Young as in 16, or young as in 20s? There is a difference.

Curious to know what percentage of accidents are caused by people avoiding other people, thus the ones doing the stupid thing don't end up at fault. In the OP's example, what if he had hit another car swerving to avoid the one that was about to hit him. The OP would have gone down as at fault, not the one who set off the chain reaction.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:18 AM   #13
EnjoyLife

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Vert bought 9/15/12
I have no problems with mandatory driving tests. The only problem is that you cannot implement it on just the elderly. If you want to go down this road, it would be for everyone.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:33 AM   #14
rickyrocket

Drives: 2015 blk 1 SS
While I agree with you 100%,you should also take into account that you saw her pulling out,whats more important,you having the right of way or your car getting damaged?Defensive driving is probably the most important skill now,almost all drivers are dangerous w/all the distractions we now have,I drive a 48' tractor trailer making city delivery's every day,it's not gonna get better
rickyrocket is offline   Reply With Quote