Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you think of the style of the 2015 Mustang?
Really like it. 62 21.99%
Undecided, but leaning positive. 80 28.37%
Undecided, but leaning negative. 69 24.47%
Don't like it at all. 71 25.18%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #645
jp23rockstar

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
If you guys can honestly say that more brake is not a good thing you need your heads checked.

As far as 90% that is a ridiculous overestimation.

Take a Track Pak VS. 1LE Fords choice the GT+ Trak Pak gets owned. The 1LE is better matched by the hallowed Laguna Seca.

The majority of non biased drivers prefer to drive the ZL1 it can't be argued. The GT500 has how much more power? 82+ HP and 75+ FTLBS and it's splitting races? Just shows that Brakes/Tire/Suspension DO make a difference.

The Z/28 proves it's not ALL about HP when you go around a track.

Now when this new Mustang comes out and the specs tell me that the following is either true or probable...

1) It only gained 20HP/10FTLBS
2) While it gained 100lbs of unsprung weight
3) While barely addressing it's weak brakes
4) Finally they added an IRS maybe it'll help
5) The tire size and compound are still inadequate
6) It's looks are subjectively more feminine and at the very least resemble a Fusion.
7) I'm not overly worried...

I'll leave it at that because you guys are just Trolling.....
The new camaro will raise the bar!
jp23rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #646
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
For sure, Terry Fair of Vorshlag would weigh in on the side of larger rear brakes for the Mustang (or any front engine car with an anywhere near similar difference in rotor size).

http://www.vorshlag.com/index.php?cPath=141_142_280

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=606

He and his wife have been running a street-legal and air conditioned 2011 GT variously in TT3 this past year (and SCCA E-Street Prepared during 2012), with considerable success.

http://www.vorshlag.com/blog/

I have to agree at least generally with the notion of rear rotors of more equal size relative to the fronts, at least as long as you can stay out of brake hop (something that some years of the stick-axle Camaros/Firebirds were very sensitive to). Basically, it's foolish to have to throw away any rear braking as a Band-Aid for some other brake-related shortcoming.

And just because I think Camaro5 members will find it interesting, Vorshlag is also known for developing kits for swapping LS-series engines into BMWs . . .

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #647
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper View Post
The 2016 Mustang will be rolling with a bunch of performance upgrades. I wouldn't count Ford out when the 6th gen rolls.
Then the 2017 camaro will be on it's way for your 16 ! People aren't counting out the 16 mustang but ppl are counting out the camaro.
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #648
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
When it comes to brakes the biggest that fit in the wheels is best for a road course. The problem you have is weight. That's when Ceramics come into the conversation. The conversation also exceeds my wallets capabilities at that point too.

I read during the development of the Z/28 that the drivers had commented that on the Nurburgring the SS was comfortable hitting the brakes at the 125 foot mark. The ZL1 was around the 100 foot mark. The Z/28 was braking early at the 50-75 foot mark.

My wallet apparently can only afford the 100 foot mark.

When I was in HS I had a Monte Carlo that arguably had a better HP to weight ratio than my 1LE. It also had crap for suspension and brakes it had a ton of tire under it though.

Which car is faster and better in just about every aspect? The 1LE.

I have a bit of a brake, suspension, wheel and tire fetish. To me you need to get all of this squared away before you throw a bunch of power in a car. I learned that it HS. While doing donuts after hitting gears and almost having to come to a complete stop to turn. It did run mid 12's in the 1/4. Not bad for 1989...

Apparently the Ford engineers skipped school that day... lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #649
Bizlipkick

Drives: 45th Ann. 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper View Post
The 2016 Mustang will be rolling with a bunch of performance upgrades. I wouldn't count Ford out when the 6th gen rolls.
I agree, and if the last 5 years has showed us anything, we all win here. they will keep one upping each other and we will keep getting bad ass cars. The winner is whoever has the hot stuff for that 12-24 month period.

edit: and I think from the release of the c7 obviously GM knows how to play this game just as well as Ford does
Bizlipkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #650
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizlipkick View Post
I agree, and if the last 5 years has showed us anything, we all win here. they will keep one upping each other and we will keep getting bad ass cars. The winner is whoever has the hot stuff for that 12-24 month period.

edit: and I think from the release of the c7 obviously GM knows how to play this game just as well as Ford does
This is a true story...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #651
Bizlipkick

Drives: 45th Ann. 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
That would be hard to do. Ford hasn't made a Cobra Mustang since 2004.
My wife does that. Makes insignificant corrections when she knows what I really meant. Congrats!
Bizlipkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #652
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
What I think is pretty weird or unexpected is not the fact that it seems a majority of people on this forum is thinking this car is beautifu,l even if I think it is some kinda cheap Aston / Jaguar styling with design elements stolen from the Camaro. nah, I can understand that people may not agree with me.

What i really think is weird around here is that so many people are saying they're gonna sell their Camaros for this new Mustang ... that's crazy, one week ago, that camaro was the most beautiful car ever to so many of us and now, it's gone, the new kills the "old". That's crazy to change your mind so fast, so radically, I really can't understand that.

Even if you could find another car appealing, it would take me a year before being able to get rid of my "love" for my Camaro ...
Agree! People need their heads check or turn in their membership.
You don't see Ford Ppl on the mustang forums saying they'll trade their mustang for a camaro.
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #653
trademaster

Drives: 12 MP4-12C, 16 Quattroporte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
If you guys can honestly say that more brake is not a good thing you need your heads checked.

As far as 90% that is a ridiculous overestimation.

Take a Track Pak VS. 1LE Fords choice the GT+ Trak Pak gets owned. The 1LE is better matched by the hallowed Laguna Seca.

The majority of non biased drivers prefer to drive the ZL1 it can't be argued. The GT500 has how much more power? 82+ HP and 75+ FTLBS and it's splitting races? Just shows that Brakes/Tire/Suspension DO make a difference.

The Z/28 proves it's not ALL about HP when you go around a track.

Now when this new Mustang comes out and the specs tell me that the following is either true or probable...

1) It only gained 20HP/10FTLBS
2) While it gained 100lbs of unsprung weight
3) While barely addressing it's weak brakes
4) Finally they added an IRS maybe it'll help
5) The tire size and compound are still inadequate
6) It's looks are subjectively more feminine and at the very least resemble a Fusion.
7) I'm not overly worried...

I'll leave it at that because you guys are just Trolling.....
There is not a chance in hell the Mustang gained 100lbs of unsprung weight.
trademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #654
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
Agree! People need their heads check or turn in their membership.
You don't see Ford Ppl on the mustang forums saying they'll trade their mustang for a camaro.
I did. Although, I'm neither "Ford Ppl" as you put it or "Chevy Ppl". What the car is and does has more importance to me than what name is on it. I figure I have done far more for car manufacturers over the years by purchasing their cars than they have or will have ever done for me. So I can't see why I need to treat them like they were part of my family.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #655
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
Now who is speculating and not working in the realm of facts? Very few technical details were released during the reveal, least of which was the actual curb weight. There is still a lot about this car that is still being tweaked, I'm sure, so assuming too much about it seems a little premature, in my opinion.
The Mustang is longer and w-i-d-e-r, with heavier IRS and mandated safely/electronic features (read: weight). To keep its price as segment-leading, there's only so much aluminum/titanium/magnesium/hss that can possibly be added and still maintain a mid-$20s price point, Base. When you're building cars with 450 hp potential, and beyond, you can't build the platform from aluminum foil. And for all the specs released for the 5.0 engine, its weight was NOT a reason for flag-waving.

The speculation from the Ford camp was "2-300 lb savings" for Mustang. That 200 savings would benefit greatly from an all-aluminum Turbo-4 with a Performance Package including forged aluminum wheels to get to a savings of "200 lb", if that is possible. The fact they were secretive about the actual Curb weight leads all present media to suspect the weight-savings are NOT "across the board". True, until Ford pulls the covers off that tidbit, no one FOR SURE knows, but the composition of the platform and body structure doesn't SHOW a V8 Mustang has attained a 200 lb. diet.

Meanwhile, the worst-kept secret @ GM is the Gen-6 Camaro will be smaller, overall, and built from a derivative of the ATS platform, internally known as Alpha. We know what those ATSs weigh, in Turbo-4/V6 variants. And those weights are at or below current '14 Mustang.

Keep in mind the C7 is now aluminum-framed, and seats 2. It curbs @ 3300 lb.

If you take a 3500 lb. V6 ATS and add LT1/HD trannies/upgraded diff, you'll arrive at a weight similar to the current GT, which is close to 10% less than current SS, as suggested.

Speculation? No, deductive reasoning based on valid facts.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #656
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trademaster View Post
There is not a chance in hell the Mustang gained 100lbs of unsprung weight.

Read this bro... They know more than us. http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...irst-look.html

I will give you that I misused unsprung weight... when I typed that I was pretty deep into my Jack and Coke watching football.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #657
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post

Nothing they would put in a base V8 Camaro.
and you know this how?

people that claim that GM is toast if ford comes out with a 500 hp mustang are retarded.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #658
Firefighter

Also you can read this too... Basically it has a nicer interior and bigger trunk than the Camaro...

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/f...et-camaro.html