Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-16-2023, 11:14 AM   #1
The Flash

Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
Is this battery a good fit for the CAMARO?

I had my 2SS in mothballs for two months. Long story.

The last 20 days it was hooked to a Battery Tender to reduce/avoid discharging the battery.

I just took it out of wraps for a spin yesterday. Started all right. Then went to the gas station. Started all right again.

Then went to a car shop to do an oil change. And when I attempted to start it to move it to the service-ramp station... zero, zilch, nada.

No voltage, no amps. Wouldn't even turn on the instrument panel.

The car went on at the first start attempt with the aid of an auto-starter unit. Seems that the current battery is done.

Has proven most difficult to find the right battery to replace it.

Why? Most auto part shops immediately ask you to show a picture of your current battery. That doesn't work for me.

The battery I have right now, IS NOT what I should have in the car. This battery was bought to replace the original AC/DELCO and it is physically too large for the space, so I ended up having to remove the foam insert that fits on top of the battery and which holds the tire inflator/sealant device.

Since then the inflator unit has been inside a cardboard box, loose in the trunk. Not efficient, and most decidedly not cool.

So I'm not looking forward to be sold another battery identical in size to the one I have now, which is what most shops offer me based in the picture.

They seem too lazy to search in their data base for the recommended or correct application for the car.

Not one shop in the city and/or the neighbor areas carries AC/DELCO batteries, so an original replacement is out of the question.

Just one shop went back from their initial offering, after I explained the above, and is offering me this now:

HANKOOK 730AMP 80AH (Model MFEFB58010)

I just want to ask if anyone here can offer some advice as to whether this will finally be the right size for the battery.

And just for the record, the current battery I have installed is a DEKA battery, which I put in the car back in 2014-2015: Yes, it has lasted that long!!

Great unit, it just isn't the right size: I want to put the foam insert and the tire inflator back where they are supposed to be.

I'm paying for the battery, it is not a hand out, so 'I guess I'm entitled' to get what suits me, not what is convenient and expedient for the auto parts shop.
I might be mistaken there, yet that's the way I understand business works: you sell me what I need/want to buy not you want to dump out of your stale inventory.

Incidentally: there are no mods whatsoever drawing or requiring more electricity drain in the car. In that regard it is stock.

Useful advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by The Flash; 12-16-2023 at 11:17 AM. Reason: add pertinent information
The Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 11:33 AM   #2
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
This is what I installed in my Camaro. The stock AC Delco battery is 800 CCA, and you need to have at least that in a battery for our cars. This one is 850 CCA, and is an AGM battery, and not a "flooded" lead acid battery, which will be cheaper. The AGM's are a bit more, but worth it as they won't ever leak in your trunk for whatever reason like my OEM one did. Good luck in your hunt.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 12-16-2023, 11:50 AM   #3
The Flash

Thanks a lot!!

Thank you very much, 1JEWLDSSRS.

I went looking for the CCA specs in the HAYNES manual and it is not shown there, so many thanks.

I do have the original GM Service Manual (the three books) but I'm not sure if the battery specs will be shown there either.

So your info on the minimum CCA requirements is gold dust for me: thanks so very much!!
Old 12-16-2023, 11:55 AM   #4
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
Thank you very much, 1JEWLDSSRS.

I went looking for the CCA specs in the HAYNES manual and it is not shown there, so many thanks.

I do have the original GM Service Manual (the three books) but I'm not sure if the battery specs will be shown there either.

So your info on the minimum CCA requirements is gold dust for me: thanks so very much!!
You are quite welcome sir!! Glad to help. Like I stated, you can go back with a "flooded" battery, which is one with the liquid acid in it, or the AGM which is "absorbed glass mat" which the liquid acid is in the glass mat and won't leak if there is ever a problem. TheH7 series batteries are what fits our Camaros. Plus you didn't say what year yours was, I looked up 2010-2013..

https://www.google.com/search?client...1j0j1&ie=UTF-8
Old 12-16-2023, 12:33 PM   #5
The Flash

" Plus you didn't say what year yours was, I looked up 2010-2013.."

My bad. It is a 2010 2SS, manual transmission.

Your DIE HARD battery looks powerful, yet big. Did it fit with the foam insert in place?
Old 12-16-2023, 01:13 PM   #6
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i just went to sams and told them what my car was.everything fits as factory and no problems
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 03:36 PM   #7
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Cold Cranking Amps are a bit low but it's not like you gonna have snow there or Ice cold weather.
Amp Hours are good.
If you have trouble finding one you be OK with that one.
Old 12-16-2023, 04:57 PM   #8
The Flash

@ Infidel67, Thanks soo much. That's mighty good advice.

"... it's not like you gonna have snow there or Ice cold weather."

Certainly that factor is something to be taken into account, you're absolutely spot on.

There are just a couple of places around here that could get cold enough to be worrisome (two mountain tops regions) and I never go there in the CAMARO or the FIREBIRD, so you're right.

Much appreciated that you did take the time to lend that valuable advice: the difference in price from that battery to the next model with a minimum of CCA 800 is $150 bucks.
As we are in full Christmas time, there is a lot I can achieve with that change in my pocket, so your input is most helpful as well.

Thanks a lot!
Old 12-16-2023, 05:14 PM   #9
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
i just went to sams and told them what my car was.everything fits as factory and no problems

Yeah... that's how it is supposed to work; I mean, the parts salesmen/consultant should tell you what you can safely and purposely install in your car.

That's good service.

In my neck of the woods, salesmen just want to push you their inventory and once that happens it's your problem, SPECIALLY so with batteries.

Most auto parts shops have a No-Return policy on batteries and other electrical parts.

I understand the reasons for that, but it all gets a 'funny smell' when they are asking you to provide the i.d. and specs for the part they are supposed to sell you, instead of them providing advice and guidance on the part you should buy.

Seems to me they're shifting the responsibility and liability unto the customer's shoulders.
Old 12-16-2023, 06:08 PM   #10
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Your DIE HARD battery looks powerful, yet big. Did it fit with the foam insert in place?
H7 is the factory size which is what the one linked is.

When looking for batteries, make sure to tell them you need an H7 group size battery and it will fit correctly.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 02:27 AM   #11
MattMDR

Drives: 2014 2LS RRM
Agree with Mr_Draco. H7 is the correct battery for your car. Try Costco they have Interstate batteries at great prices.
MattMDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 09:12 AM   #12
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Yup, I got the YELLOWTOP® DH7 and it's a beast.
Old 12-17-2023, 10:45 AM   #13
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
" Plus you didn't say what year yours was, I looked up 2010-2013.."

My bad. It is a 2010 2SS, manual transmission.

Yes, same size as the OEM.. Like we stated above, group H7 is the size for our Camaros..
Old 12-19-2023, 06:56 PM   #14
The Flash

Thanks for the Tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
H7 is the factory size which is what the one linked is.

When looking for batteries, make sure to tell them you need an H7 group size battery and it will fit correctly.

I did told them about the Group designation and in the end I went with another battery: I bought an INTERSTATE battery.

It has a full warranty vs. the progressively scaled down warranty offered by the HANKOOK.

I had to call upon the warranty a few times before so that is an important consideration.

I used and still use HANKOOK in my CHEVROLET EQUINOX V6, and they did honored warranty every time (three times actually).
That set me thinking: is the only battery brand with which I had to present a claim against the warranty.

All the other ones I had (DieHard, AC/DELCO, DEKA, MOTORCRAFT, YUASA) on my various cars & motorcycles died well after their warranties had expired, years later in fact.

The HANKOOKs gave me issues before their warranties went off.
Yes, the warranty was fully honored every time, but I rather take a chance with a brand that has serious rep for outlasting its warranty period.

Last edited by The Flash; 12-19-2023 at 09:38 PM. Reason: correct syntaxis.
The Flash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery specs, fits the space