Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #1
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
AMERICA'S 10 GREATEST CLASSIC MUSCLE CARS, RANKED

AMERICA'S 10 GREATEST CLASSIC MUSCLE CARS, RANKED

Owned '69 Road Runner in high school, and still alive.

http://www.maxim.com/rides/10-greate...-ranked-2016-5
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Can't view at work. What are their criteria? Usually these things fall into a few categories:

Nostalgic choice
Popularity in context of present day
Rarity
Subjective cool factor

Can somebody list the cars for me?
Old 06-28-2016, 12:51 PM   #3
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
1.GTO
2.Daytona/Superbird
3.Charger
4.Chevelle
5.GSX
7. Road Runner
8.Torino
9.Nova
10. Rebel Machine

I agree with most of the cars on the list, not so much the rankings.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #4
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
I'm an Oldsmobile guy, and I realize the Hurst/Olds is extremely rare, but if they are going to have the Charger/Road Runner AND the Daytona/Superbird they could include the H/O as well as the 4-4-2.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Sorry, but that list is pretty terribly made...they have the same basic car listed twice, just as a different trim/models (Superbird/Daytona and Road Runner are VERY similar). Plus some cars are narrowed to a specific model like the 442 and GSX as it should be, but then the Chevelle is just listed as a Chevelle, not Chevelle SS? And a Torino and Rebel, come on now lol...

Most real muscle car enthusiasts would pick the Chevelle SS (1970 LS6) or GSX Stage 1 (1970) as the top dog muscle car. But I can't argue with the GTO as it did start the whole muscle car era.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #6
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

"The Goat was the original muscle car, so we are naming it best".

Bullshit on each count. Chrysler and Ford were doing it earlier. And better.

And this one riles me:

"5. Buick GSX
Each of the GM divisions wanted to compete in the muscle cars wars, so even the luxurious Buick brand entered the fray with the creation of the GSX. This was a souped-up version of the company's Regal, using a 455 cubic-inch big block to contend in the performance wars from 1970-'72."

Bullshit again. The GSX was not Buick's first step into this arena. The Gran Sport (not Grand Sport) Buicks had been around for YEARS.The GSX was an appearance package for Buick's GS lineup, which was itself based off the A-body Skylark. Regal did not exist then. The Regal debuted in 1973.

The GSX was also not a "souped up" version of anything. A GSX could be had with the Stage 1 package which was available on any GS455 model. The GSX itself offered no unique performance options aside from the dubious value of the chin air dam and the spoiler. And if you were really savvy you could get the Stage 2 package, which was a performance upgrade, but not GSX specific.

Maxim needs to stick to taking photos of hot women, because they know crap about cars. And somebody tell Dan Carney he knows jack shit about Buicks in particular.

Last edited by ChrisBlair; 06-28-2016 at 03:48 PM.
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #7
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
"The Goat was the original muscle car, so we are naming it best".

Bullshit on each count. Chrysler and Ford were doing it earlier. And better.

And this one riles me:

"5. Buick GSX
Each of the GM divisions wanted to compete in the muscle cars wars, so even the luxurious Buick brand entered the fray with the creation of the GSX. This was a souped-up version of the company's Regal, using a 455 cubic-inch big block to contend in the performance wars from 1970-'72."

Bullshit again. The GSX was not Buick's first step into this arena. The Gran Sport (not Grand Sport) Buicks had been around for YEARS.The GSX was an appearance package for Buick's GS lineup, which was itself based off the A-body Skylark. Regal did not exist then. The Regal debuted in 1973.

The GSX was also not a "souped up" version of anything. A GSX could be had with the Stage 1 package which was available on any GS455 model. The GSX itself offered no unique performance options aside from the dubious value of the chin air dam and the spoiler. And if you were really savvy you could get the Stage 2 package, which was a performance upgrade, but not GSX specific.

Maxim needs to stick to taking photos of hot women, because they know crap about cars. And somebody tell Dan Carney he knows jack shit about Buicks in particular.
Earlier and better? Come on now Chris, if the were better, how many did they sell? Let's stay in 1964-65, not at the end where every company/division had some low production super hot car that they didn't even offer 2,000 of. I'd agree with not the fastest, but sales has to account into the ranking/rating somehow.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #8
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

I'll step up,' Dan Carney', You don't know SHIT about Buicks brother!!
Old 06-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #9
Badfinger

Drives: 2010 2SS
What, no Mustang?
Badfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:13 PM   #10
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfinger View Post
What, no Mustang?
Or trans am or barracuda , but a Torino? Really??
Old 06-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #11
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

I hear ya Kenny and I love GTOs. But. "Better" doesn't have to mean "most popular" or "best selling". Budweiser is an extremely popular beer. But it belongs back in the horse that made it. You can get better beer.

If we go by sales, then the list will be much different, and I bet the GSX isn't on the list at all. The GTO was such a beautiful car for almost any year you want to pick, and it's very popular still, but ugly beasts made and sold before that car were better muscle cars, if you gauge it by what a muscle car does and in '64 it wasn't "look at me I'm cool with wings and graphics look out".

Sales must count, you're right, but by the same token Maxim still gives the GTO the crown for virtue of being 'first'.

But the cars that tore up GTOs then were ugly, and they were beasts and unpleasant to drive, as most were 'strippers' with no luxury. Ford's Thunderbolt for one, and Dodge's Ramcharger for another. Quite rare cars, but they were out there. I think that the pretty cars get picked as 'best' too often.

There's a guy with a Thunderbolt in my hometown. Never drives it :(
Old 06-28-2016, 06:41 PM   #12
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfinger View Post
What, no Mustang?
Not a muscle car. It's a pony car...same goes for Camaro, Firebird and Challenger.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:44 PM   #13
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I hear ya Kenny and I love GTOs. But. "Better" doesn't have to mean "most popular" or "best selling". Budweiser is an extremely popular beer. But it belongs back in the horse that made it. You can get better beer.

If we go by sales, then the list will be much different, and I bet the GSX isn't on the list at all. The GTO was such a beautiful car for almost any year you want to pick, and it's very popular still, but ugly beasts made and sold before that car were better muscle cars, if you gauge it by what a muscle car does and in '64 it wasn't "look at me I'm cool with wings and graphics look out".

Sales must count, you're right, but by the same token Maxim still gives the GTO the crown for virtue of being 'first'.

But the cars that tore up GTOs then were ugly, and they were beasts and unpleasant to drive, as most were 'strippers' with no luxury. Ford's Thunderbolt for one, and Dodge's Ramcharger for another. Quite rare cars, but they were out there. I think that the pretty cars get picked as 'best' too often.

There's a guy with a Thunderbolt in my hometown. Never drives it :(
Thunderbolts and Ramchargers were not production cars, in most cases were not road legal, did not come with a warranty, and were not easily insurable.

Like it or not, the GTO was the first, true to mold, full production muscle car.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #14
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

"Most cases". It's not as if I named altered-wheelbase cars...

Fine, ignore them GTO was first, let me see..

1961 Chevy 409 (had so much identity the Beach Boys wrote a song). 1962 Ford Galaxie 500XL, multi-carb 406. (Or a 1957 Ford with factory supercharging. If that wasn't a factory-built hotrod,what was?) 1963 Ford Galaxie 427. And back to butt-ugly with the 1962 Plymouth lineups with the RB Block 413s. OK, that car is rare so go with the 1963 Plymouth and the 426 Max Wedge....barring that how about the '64 Plymouth Commando 426 cars?

Some extremely ugly cars in that list. Mostly Mopars. Almost all a model year or more older than the GTO. And unloved :(