Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #393
redsap05

Drives: 2005 pontiac gto
Iam sure they price it right around the gt500. I love the idea of a z28 but Hopefully they put good forged parts in the engine or esle the gt500 will still have the upper hand because a ford boy can go buy a whipple for 3500 and run 26lbs on the stock motor making 750+ rhp. Aslo the gt500 is getting a new more powerfull engine for 2011 expected to be around 600hp so this could be very interesting to see what they come up with for the z28.
redsap05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #394
bdg

Drives: 2010 camaro
A Z28 would be cool , but you could spend less than the diff. on a ss and have a hell of alot more car.
bdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #395
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsadryheat79 View Post
Just an observation here - "5% MPG improvement per-year will drive US development crazy"

I'm all for the Z28 but this sounds crazy for GM to release a V8 LSA based Camaro one year before 2012-2016 CAFE standards. If it's really a go will it become a smaller engine -think nostalgia 1969 DZ302

http://environment.about.com/od/envi...-standards.htm

The new CAFE standards apply to model years 2012-2016 for all passenger vehicles sold in the United States, including cars, light trucks and SUVs. Significant improvements in fuel efficiency will be required of all new vehicles in 2012 model, with yearly gains of 5 percent or more in subsequent years.
By 2016, automakers’ passenger vehicle fleets must achieve a combined average fuel-economy standard of 35.5 mpg—39 mpg for cars and 30 mpg for light trucks and SUVs—a 40 percent improvement over current standards.

The fleet must average...not every single car
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #396
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
I'd say 2012 model year arrive in summer 2011 for about $47,995; plus $20k markups from dealers.
As cool as it sounds I'll probably stick to my plan of buying a 2-3yr old SS/RS and modding it with $10k-$15k. Blower, upgraded brakes, forged pistons, intake, Z28 aftermarket inspired hood, yada yada.
I'm thinking something similar. The markup will keep me away for a while regardless so it's not just the wait until release date.

I don't think you'll need upgraded brakes on the SS thought......
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #397
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
And im tired of turning blue waiting....
How about Maize and Blue. WOOHOOO!!! GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #398
SubSolar

Drives: 2009 Corvette, 1987 Buick GN
One thing people don't realize is if you put $10k in aftermarket parts into an SS you'll probably get $0 for those when it comes time to trade it in or sell. It may even go down in value, people don't want to buy modified cars. I certainly wouldn't buy a car that had an aftermarket blower/turbo or nitrous on it.
SubSolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #399
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
I paid $47k+ MD sales tax for my 2010 GT500. The sticker on my loaded car was $51,120. Just know that most 2010 GT500's are going for sticker or less. You know these Z28's are going to be MSRP+ for awhile. Giving the GT500 a real word price advantage for now....
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #400
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
not me

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I think it's a good marketing ploy - create buzz about a possible Z28 while at the same announcing a possible run-up in production of the existing Camaro.

Think about it. Many of us would trade-up in a nanosecond for a new Z28. GM hooks us now with a sale of a 2010 Camaro and then gets us to trade for a 201x Camaro Z28. Brilliant.
Sorry wouldn't waste my time. For what? to pay 20K for a name. My 1ss will do me just fine.
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #401
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
flame away,I'm a big boy- mod--myob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSolar View Post
One thing people don't realize is if you put $10k in aftermarket parts into an SS you'll probably get $0 for those when it comes time to trade it in or sell. It may even go down in value, people don't want to buy modified cars. I certainly wouldn't buy a car that had an aftermarket blower/turbo or nitrous on it.
Geez this is the other kicker here.A dealer isn't going to give you any great # because it's a true z/28 and if the markets slow your going to get the shaft also. Why are you worried about selling anyway. If I can keep it till I die that's fine with me. Then someone else can worry about it's trade in value. Kinda disappointing you would be looking at trade in value for a car you don't have yet.

Last edited by tom692010; 09-22-2009 at 04:58 PM. Reason: mis spell
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #402
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
By 2016, automakers’ passenger vehicle fleets must achieve a combined average fuel-economy standard of 35.5 mpg—39 mpg for cars and 30 mpg for light trucks and SUVs—a 40 percent improvement over current standards.

The fleet must average...not every single car
That is correct - and Chevy's current line up is closer to it than anyone.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #403
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
One of the biggest questions I have is.... Is it going to be a stripped model luxury wise? I could lose some creature comforts and be very happy.... and lighter

Hmmmm only time will tell!
yes. Question is will it be more like a 1SS or a 2SS in terms of model type, interior ..etc.
Then again they can make bothe a striper and a luxury trim. and having 2 sub-models as they did with the SS. Which would also bring prices up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri020 View Post
While I agree with you and alot of these things we have to consider several scenarios. Since we are seeing this car coming out about 1 1/2 years to 2 down the road as we all know in this business a lot can change. While you can bet your bottom dollar that GM will price this competitively, we need to remember the GT500 is not the only vehicle GM is going to try and target this car at. It needs to be appeal to a vast audience for it to succeed, which we all want.So think of it not just going up against our beloved rival the Mustang, but cars such as the Nissan Nismo Z, BMW M3 series etc.
I agree and I never mentioned what car I was comparing it to, just doing some simple math to guesstimate where that range would be. If anything I'm guessing that the higher price of 46k that I said might just be the what the stripper model starts it (if there is one).
Quote:
Right now all we have to go on is Ed Welburn confirmation and some images of what we assume is the Z28. Will it have 560 HP ? Maybe. Remember the bar gets raised often in this business and GM will have to adjust to that and they will. Will it have exotic materials to decrease some weight? Maybe. These are questions that I am sure will be answered in due time. But for what its worth we know its coming. I really do think this is going to be what the Z06 is to the Corvette.
Like I said, I'm hoping there are 2 sub-models. However that may possibly increase my original price tag.
Quote:
As far as it being similarly priced to a Corvette, lets not forget the Corvette is a totally different car. Its a different kind of buyer which is not what the Camaro is. The Camaro seats 4, the Corvette 2. You can do more with a Camaro then you can with a Vette as far as practicality goes and that has been a defining factor in the difference of these two cars. I can go on and on about how different they are, but in the same token they are similar in the manner of performance value. Make no mistake I am sure the Camaro Team as well as Scott know what we expect and they will keep this in mind but at the same time we will not get everything we want simply because of cost and the way it may negatively affect the car.

So I will leave you all with this. Lets just sit back, and watch this car be born the way we saw the concept be born in 2006. As Scott stated in a previous post ...

"As you know: we never rest. Remember when the C5 was the 'end-all?' - and then there was the Z06 - and then there was the C6 -- and then there was the C6-Z06 -- and then there was the ZR1.......

.........we are far from finished................"

But we also need to think that this car will take some time to develop even if they start now. So I'm guessing the time frame for it's release will not be within the next year or two. By the time this car comes out we might see a new gen V motor in the corvette, bumping base corvette prices up, and maybe even the C7, and just like in other corvette generations before, the ZR1 might dissapear to make those prices more viable. Only to come back as king once again.

Of course like I said, this is all just in my head
Quote:
LMAO this is fun... Kind of like the price/war debates when we first started getting info about the 5Th Gen
yeah, but this time we have a base to start from.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #404
Sledheadrick
Got vert??

Drives: 2004 Pontiac GTO
My prayer tonight, and every night until it's in my garage:

"Dear baby Jesus. Please give GM exec's the intestinal fortitude to build the Z/28 and sell it to the horsepower-hungry masses the world over for hundreds less then a Shelby GT500, just enough to piss off Ford and start a price war. And make mine a vert with an LS7. Amen."
Current rides:
2004 GTO, mods: some-a-dis, some-a-dat
2007 TBSS
Sledheadrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #405
clark17357

Drives: 2008 Shelby GT/SC
Greetings,

I am visiting from the dreaded Ford world and heard from one of the Team Shelby members that you folks on this forum were discussing the Z-28 in a serious way.

Wanted to say that I hope GM produces this car. I am old (59) and remember well the days when we had both Mustangs and Cameros roaming the streets. Those were great days and anyone who likes muscle cars is rooting for GM to come through this time.

I have not had the chance to drive the new Camero but I have seen some and must say they are pleasing to the eye (being old, I would have voted for a retro version of the late 60's Camero if I were King).
2008 Shelby GT/SC Mustang, Vista Blue with Silver Stripes, 5-Speed, Coupe, Center gauge cluster, Kenne Bell supercharger, Front and rear brake ducts, AP Racing brakes (6-piston front, 4-piston rear), Fays2 Watts Link, Metco upper and lower control arms, BBR 3.5" aluminum drive shaft, BMR front drive shaft safety loop; Autopower four point roll bar, Autopower five point racing harnesses (both sides), and Camber/caster plates. Dyno results: 453 rear wheel torque, 447 rear wheel horse power @ 67 degrees F, 75% humidity @ sea level.
clark17357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #406
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post

yeah, but this time we have a base to start from.

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 camaro z28, 2012 z28, camaro z28, new camaro z28, new z28, z28