Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-12-2017, 09:16 AM   #1
javidgt8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Cyber Gray
Exclamation Stabilitrak + ABS/ST/TC Lights + Grinding

Hey guys, I bought my 2011 Camaro 2SS 6MT a few months ago and recently Ive encountered a weird issue. Ive seen a few other posts similar but not exact. About a week ago I hopped in my car after it was sitting for maybe 2 hours and immediately in the parking lot my brakes started grinding. At high speeds it wasn't noticeable but at lower speeds, as so as I get on the brake I hear this awful grinding noise and feel a vibration in the brake pedal. I also had a freind who was sitting in the back who said he felt vibrations back there. I checked the brakes and rotors and they seemed fine. I decided to take a leap and try to drive home, as the brakes still worked, just at low speeds it grinds badly. This is the weird part. As I was driving a few minutes later, my car begins chiming and the service stabilitrak notice comes up, along with the ABS/TC lights, and just like that the grinding was gone. Since then ive noticed usually the car with start and already have the lights on which means no grinding, or if they arent on, it will grind for a little and then the system will set off the stabilitrak/abs lights again and stop the grinding. I took it to a shop and the guy said to change the pads and rotors and also scanned it and told me the left rear wheel speed sensor needs to be replaced. I bought pads and rotors but upon taking the wheels off and inspecting them they seem fine. Theres a very small slight step at the edge, but no apparent uneven wear on the pads. I changed the pads but left the rotors since they dont seem to need replacing. The noise still continued. Then I figured I'd try the wheel speed sensor, and that didnt work either. I still have the rotors but im not sure if i want to put them on or not and risk not being able to return them. I took it to another mechanic who also said to change the senor(before i had changed it). So now my car is still sitting in the garage. I miss cars and coffee in Orlando today too because of it. Sad day. Id really appreciate some help with this guys. If you know any shops that are really good with camaros in Orlando please let me know.

-J
Old 09-04-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
Fieryfight

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT IBM Convertible
May be a little late but what you are experiencing is the vehicle believes it is losing traction and is attempting to correct the issue and you abs is going off which is the vibration you are feeling, when it fails to correct the issue it figures that it is a problem with your abs/stabilitrak system so it disables them. This means that your abs isnt on so the car wont have the vibration/noise of the brakes constantly adjusting. I had a similar issue which was caused by having front tires that were much smaller diameter than my rear tires thus spinning at different speeds, as a temp fix I pulled fuse #40 to disable abs when I start car (note your guages will light up like a christmas tree). Something is causing the vehicle to think it is sliding when you brake thus tripping your abs. By pulling the fuse you wont have the abs kicking off and the car should be driveable without the grinding and danger the abs posses when initially stopping, just try not to have to slam on the brakes in the mean time. This will at least let you drive the thing assuming there isnt a serious issue that is causing it until your mechanic can fix it.

Fieryfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:08 PM   #3
ziggynum1

Drives: Pending
Man. The symptoms you described is verbatim what I am seeing on my '10 SS. I just replaced the speed sensor, cleared the code and same symptoms are back.

You ever find the fix????
ziggynum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:39 PM   #4
snapmomma412

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro
Any luck?

I’m having a similar issue with my 2011, when I start it the lights are on but as soon as I move they go off and it starts making the noise grinding noise, once I hit 30mph the lights come back on and it stops 🤷🏻*♀️ Code reader was saying rear wheel speed sensor, that’s been replaced and now my mechanic is stumped 😏
snapmomma412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #5
Coleroad

Drives: 13 Camaro
Again this TBS is probably more like it. Not dure why shops don’t like yo diagnosis problems. Instead they throw the parts cannon at it on assumptions. It’s super easy to check if the speed sensor itself is bad or not just with a multimeter.
Attached Images

Coleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:49 PM   #6
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
Was JUST the wheel speed sensor replaced or the whole wheel bearing assembly replaced?

#1: If you have play in the bearing, it will trip the light every time.

#2: If the magnetic ring on the back of the bearing is damaged, it will also trip the lights.

#3: Has anyone even bothered checking the wiring leading to the sensor????

I can almost bet its option #1 or #2 causing the issue.

TO check the bearing, jack up the corner in question and try to wiggle it side to side, up and down. If it wiggles, replace the bearing.

To check option#2, clean off the magnetic ring gently and check for pieces missing off of it or a gap in it. Do this by looking from behind the bearing.
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 10:42 AM   #7
BatMan25

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro Lt
Did any of these option fix the problem. I have changed both front wheel bearings and replaced speed sensors in front and one in rear and problem still persists. Should I change the rear wheel bearings as well?

Last edited by BatMan25; 05-10-2023 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Further information
BatMan25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, grinding, stabilitrak, traction control, wheel speed sensor