Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
SubSolar

Drives: 2009 Corvette, 1987 Buick GN
Is there such a thing as an axle-forward exhaust?

I've been looking at getting a full cat back exhaust but after listening to all the sound clips the best sounding to me are the ones that just do a muffler delete or replace the stock mufflers with Dynomax bullets. Does anyone sell a system that's basically a cat-back to rear axle package for cheaper than a catback? I guess this would basically be the X pipe, resonators and piping. Or is the stock stuff fine and I wouldn't gain any HP over just chopping off the stock mufflers? Also, the L99 cats look very large and restrictive, does anyone have hi-flow California legal cats yet?
SubSolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Most header systems come with everything up to the rear axle.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
SubSolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Most header systems come with everything up to the rear axle.
Believe me, if I didn't live in California, I'd have long tubes, cam, heads, etc on order! Longtubes are illegal and from what I hear shorties aren't worth the cost and labor. We can't even change the cats unless the new ones have a CARB sticker and your original ones are damaged/worn.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
slowerthanu

Drives: 2ss on order, 06 f-150
Well, since January it is actually illegal to replace the cats on any new car in California with any type of "high flow" catalytic converter.

In fact, federal law makes it unlawful to replace a cat unless the stock one is shown to have failed.

Kinda sucks, but I don't screw with that stuff anymore, there are too many ways to make power legally.

Here is a good link to more info.

http://www.racingbeat.com/emissions.htm
slowerthanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
SubSolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowerthanu View Post
Well, since January it is actually illegal to replace the cats on any new car in California with any type of "high flow" catalytic converter.

In fact, federal law makes it unlawful to replace a cat unless the stock one is shown to have failed.

Kinda sucks, but I don't screw with that stuff anymore, there are too many ways to make power legally.

Here is a good link to more info.

http://www.racingbeat.com/emissions.htm
Yeah I was just reading that. Sucks cause the l99 cats look heavy and restrictive. Although as long as you can find some higher flowing cats with a carb sticker, I wouldn't worry about replacing them. You can always say you drove over something that damaged the stock cats.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
JHart
I haz camaro again :)

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
i'd run some shorty headers man, cause that'd be the easiest CARB approved if that's even approved. man i love south carolina.

2010 silverado z71 ccsb(sold, old dd)
2010 camaro1ss(sold, missed, will have another someday)
JHart is offline   Reply With Quote