Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
GM OEM ALIGNMENT: FEEDBACK

HI Guys,
I've lately had to redo my alignment on my SS and I had a strong discussion about the factory alignment with some of the members here which made me ask this question:
Did anyone of you re-align your OEM Setup?
Did it improvement to the handling and steering response or numbnest?
if yes, WHat was it set too?
thanks
mikamaro

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The OEM alignment is a green range alignment. This is typical of most all factory alignments. By green range I mean it is within the OE alignment specification range. Ass an extreme example we'll say the OE front camber range is +.5 to -.5 or a full degree. If your 5th Gen delivered with The right front at -.5 and the left front at +.5 your could feel it as you go down the road. The green range is how alignment work can be done for $59.99. Bang em in and bang em out. A tight spec alignment takes much longer Setting both front cambers to -.5 takes more time.

Now that we understand green range let's talk about 5th Gen vehicles with stock suspension and alignment. The 5th Gen has a good deal of understeer or push. The factory alignment would typically deliver with more rear camber than front camber. Front and rear would both be toed in a bit. We can make the car more neutral and the steering feel sharper with some alignment tweaks.

Per Wheel
Front Camber -1
Front Toe 0
Rear Camber -.5
Rear Toe IN .05

TIRE WEAR: Your front tires will wear a bit MORE on the inside shoulder. Your rear tires will wear a bit LESS on the inside shoulder.

DRIVING FEEL: Your steering wheel will be more sensitive and feel more centered. Your turn in will be sharper. You hard laucnhes will be more crisp with the tire contact patch more square to the pavement. In short, it will feel the way a 5th Gen should feel.

When you take your 5th Gen in for this type of alignment discuss what you want before they start work. Tell them you want a before and after print out. Tell them you expect the alignment to be exactly what you asked for and not just close. Be prepared to pay more as it will take more time to do the work to this standard. Then enjoy driving a crisp 5th Gen.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
Dexgto

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
Will better alignment keep the car from tracking on groved or worn roads.
Dexgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
Thanks to Pete mine is aligned rather agressively (ex. I run -2 camber up front) and holy piss in a bottle can you tell a difference in turn in. Granted my tires will be worn out faster but man what a difference.
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexgto View Post
Will better alignment keep the car from tracking on grooved or worn roads.
Deeply grooved roads can make a well aligned car pull with tread block squirm. Paved roads with high crowns for drainage can cause the same thing.

Searching on crowned roads is usually addresses with castor bias. Castor is fixed from the factory on the 5th Gen, but .5 degrees of bias is built in for this reason.

An uneven alignment can also cause this along with uneven tire inflation and a sloppy alignment.

I see you have only 22 posts which could mean you are new to the forum and 5th Gen or just signed up and have been hanging around for years.

How many miles are on your 5th Gen?
Old 08-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Dexgto

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Deeply grooved roads can make a well aligned car pull with tread block squirm. Paved roads with high crowns for drainage can cause the same thing.

Searching on crowned roads is usually addresses with castor bias. Castor is fixed from the factory on the 5th Gen, but .5 degrees of bias is built in for this reason.

An uneven alignment can also cause this along with uneven tire inflation and a sloppy alignment.

I see you have only 22 posts which could mean you are new to the forum and 5th Gen or just signed up and have been hanging around for years.

How many miles are on your 5th Gen?
I only have 22 posts because i search and dont post none sence to bump my post numbers ive also been a member since feb 2011. Bought my car new jan 2011 it now has 8k. My car just gets carried away and requires to hands on the wheel on a road that doesnt look terrible
Dexgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexgto View Post
I only have 22 posts because i search and dont post none sence to bump my post numbers ive also been a member since feb 2011. Bought my car new jan 2011 it now has 8k. My car just gets carried away and requires to hands on the wheel on a road that doesnt look terrible
Cool. At 8k your dealer will probably be able to align your Camaro under warranty. Ask for a before and after print out.