Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-20-2009, 12:38 AM   #43
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
There is no doubt the GS Camaro will have a strut tower brace. I am not sure what the hood is made of.

there are lots of vehicles out there with a single hood strut. I personally would not want one. A good old Hood support rod would be just fine for me. That in fact might be the fix if in fact the hood strut stays where the picture shows it. This is one of those things that we will have to wait until production actually occurs. But making or modifying one of the millions of hood support cables will be a easy process. for me, I much rather have a strut tower brace and a hood support rod, than a support shock.

So those of you worried about not having one, have not fears. We all will get this worked out.

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #44
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitboy View Post
If you put two of those heavily charged cylinders on that aluminum hood it might end up bent from trying to close it!
Ya can't see it anyway when you're driving it instead of parking it.
I DO NOT CARE ABOUT HAVING TWO HOOD STRUTS/SUPPORTS. All I care about is the PLACEMENT of the existing one as it prevents the addition of a strut tower brace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
There is no doubt the GS Camaro will have a strut tower brace. I am not sure what the hood is made of.

there are lots of vehicles out there with a single hood strut. I personally would not want one. A good old Hood support rod would be just fine for me. That in fact might be the fix if in fact the hood strut stays where the picture shows it. This is one of those things that we will have to wait until production actually occurs. But making or modifying one of the millions of hood support cables will be a easy process. for me, I much rather have a strut tower brace and a hood support rod, than a support shock.

So those of you worried about not having one, have not fears. We all will get this worked out.

mike
dms
Mike- Thanks for your response...you were probably as surprised as I was when you saw this...

I completely missed the December dollars days...so please PM me when you have another sale...I'll preorder the full Camaro setup. I finally had time to do my 'pedders research' and I'm satisfied (if not entirely excited!). I'm based in northeast Florida, so I'll be looking for an installer if you have any recommendations. Also, I'll be having 'other' work performed at Vengeance Racing in Atlanta...I have not spoken with them yet if they install/tune suspension setups.

Unfortunately I'm #3 in line at a small dealership...so I won't be one of your first.. :(
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #45
Thwick

Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
I think if you converted to 2 supports, you could put them outside the strut towers, but since there's only 1, it wouldnt lift the hood properly if it were mounted further out. But its a lot of work to relocate and add a support.

I think the most common solution is just going to be what a lot of people are saying, just remove it and use something else to prop the hood up. Being Canadian i'll probably use a hockey stick.
Thwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #46
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
i wish it was a little heavier so it won't fly away as easily. i plan on driving with the hood up, so i would prefer having two shocks to hold it level. you get more even downforce that way!

come to look at it, you'd think a race car would have something a little better than the stock air box

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Yes!

I did!

.......and the prop rod doubles as a 2 x 4 or a baseball bat!!!!

*insert woman's scream here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
I DO NOT CARE ABOUT HAVING TWO HOOD STRUTS/SUPPORTS. All I care about is the PLACEMENT of the existing one as it prevents the addition of a strut tower brace.
Just give the aftermarket a month or two. There will be 5 or 6 strut tower braces out there that are compatible (better yet....BUILT FOR) the 5th Gen Camaro. Aftermarket companies always figure this stuff out...you know that.

I'm actually very happy that there is only one hood support....less to get in the way when I'm leaning under the hood. And, from others who have built this type of hood, hearing that it will be fine is good enough by me.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #47
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
ok i don't know all about it.. is the hood fiberglass or aluminium??
it kinda look cheap with only one strut.. maybe it isn't heavy and only needs one.. hope it doesn't bend that much when it's time to close the hood...
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #48
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
from everything i hear, it's aluminum
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #49
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It's aluminum. And look at the way they bent/shaped the sheetmetal -- it'll be very structurally sound (no extraordinary flexing).
Old 01-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #50
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Its an alloy (aluminum) hood so it won't be too heavy. And how long do you plan on having your hood open at any given time?
Have you ever owned a Camaro,or any other car that can be taken to a car show or car meet ? the hood on mine will be up alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Wouldn't be the first camaro I owned that the hood was held up with a 2x4.....
i used to use a broomstick for my 3rd gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1147 View Post
Well to answer the OP original concern, go ahead and remove the OEM bracket and strut to install your bracing.

Then when you want to open the hood to do something, just "use your head" to hold the hood up!!

ive used my head as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
Having the gas filler on the wrong side of the car don't bother anyone?

-bobby
ACTUALLY , its on the right side
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:49 AM   #51
AGM76

Drives: 1995 z28 - 2000 SS - 08' vette
Why not forget the strut completely and go with a similar setup to my suburban?
Name:  suburban1.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  74.7 KB
works great, and with the camaro's lighter hood it could possibly be made smaller and unobtrusive. Oh also lets put the 8.1L engine in there while we're at it...
AGM76 is offline   Reply With Quote