Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-13-2009, 06:37 AM   #15
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
I don't do anything illegal, (aside from speed, and the occasional burnout) so i don't have to worry about anything. Besides, i've had OnStar in my Cobalt for the last three years, and haven't had any problems. In fact, its saved my ass a couple of times!
Old 05-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #16
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by avt12882 View Post
MAYBE I CAN HAVE IT TURNED ON SO I COULD FIND OUT WERE VIN#4583 BECAUSE MY DEALER HAS NO CLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahaha that is a GREAT idea. Same here. I didn't even think of asking them that. Neither my dealer nor GM's CSR's seem to know where my car is either. Maybe its time we all took a trip to Oshawa. Whoops! No car! DAMMIT!
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #17
Camaro509

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
First off, the whole privacy issue with OnStar has never really been addressed in a court of law that I am aware of, and yes, it does concern me as an American citizen. About the same as my privacy on any other form of communication. With that said, what in the hell are they going to here from me?

Here is an example transcript that the FeeBees or NSA will have to dedicate expensive man-hours to:

Me - "Hey babe, what's for dinner?"
Wife - "I don't know. What sounds good to you?"
Me - "Pizza?"
Wife - "o.k., love you!"
Me - "Love you too!"

End of call

Me - "Hey babe, what ya wearing?"
Girlfriend - "Nothing but a smile!"
Me - "I'll be right over."
Girlfriend - "Don't be late!"
Me - "This will have to be quick, we're having pizza tonight."
Girlfriend - "Baby, I'll make your toes curl in under 10 minutes!"
Me - "Pulling into the driveway now!"

End of call

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Camaro509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #18
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
that's funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
This man is using his brains
I already thought of this weeks ago. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17865
Old 05-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #19
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
I think the main point is that if the FBI is listening in on OnStar then they are listening in on your cell phone, home phone, and email also.
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:41 AM   #20
qbert48

Drives: 2SS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro509 View Post
First off, the whole privacy issue with OnStar has never really been addressed in a court of law that I am aware of, and yes, it does concern me as an American citizen. About the same as my privacy on any other form of communication. With that said, what in the hell are they going to here from me?

Here is an example transcript that the FeeBees or NSA will have to dedicate expensive man-hours to:

Me - "Hey babe, what's for dinner?"
Wife - "I don't know. What sounds good to you?"
Me - "Pizza?"
Wife - "o.k., love you!"
Me - "Love you too!"

End of call

Me - "Hey babe, what ya wearing?"
Girlfriend - "Nothing but a smile!"
Me - "I'll be right over."
Girlfriend - "Don't be late!"
Me - "This will have to be quick, we're having pizza tonight."
Girlfriend - "Baby, I'll make your toes curl in under 10 minutes!"
Me - "Pulling into the driveway now!"

End of call
fell outta my chair

welcome home
1100 4-27-09
6000 6-27-09

yes i got to the dance late don't hate me
qbert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:01 AM   #21
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
The only time the FBI would want to listen to me in my car is if they need help going to sleep. Surely they would be bored to death. Bring on Big Brother. RT will blast BB with his patented sleep ray and the battle will be over.

"It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Silver Streak: This car is screaming Camaro all the way through. If you are still complaining about the Camaro, you need to re-evaluate!
Edmunds: "You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy?" LOL!!!
Blur: You need to develop your own level of badassery before handling a car with so much badass content.
pinkcamaro10: "gained the faith back" Thanks guys! "Patiently" waiting thanks to all the pink milk people!
http://camaro5rt.mybrute.com
RT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #22
DarrenJ

Drives: '67 Camaro ZZ4 & 2010 IOM 2SS
"I know a guy"...

Who was trying to "track" his cheating wife and somehow "persuaded" On-Star to track the location of his GMC Yukon in which she had possession. Not sure what he told them to get the location, but he must have lied to them in some form.

He's now divorced...
DarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #23
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
if you guys are really concerned it would be very easy to connect an led to the positive mic lead. When the mic comes on so would the led. Well that is unless the mics are always in the on state....

This way you can still have the onstar but know when someone is trying to listen in. I still find this very unlikly but i do think it may be boarding americans constiutional rights.
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #24
TXInfernoSS

Drives: 2010 Inferno SS
I know when you "activate" OnStar it normally makes some sounds and starts talking to you.. so if they "activate" it without you knowing it does it bypass the normal OnStar startup? I doubt its true that they auto tap it while you are driving, but if you use the phone feature available with OnStar they could monitor that as its the same as using a cell phone.
TXInfernoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #25
hellraiser

Drives: benz
It's not just bigbrother watching you, your insurance co will also attain records... good luck if your going to do trackdays or 1/4 mile runs. If your into posing no need to disconect..
hellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #26
blackedout010

Drives: on order black 2010 2ss
o yea mine will be disconected quickly!!! i have a buddy who has an 08 z06 which had onstar. he took it to vir about 2 weeks after he bought and did a few laps. on his ride home onstar actually called him and asked his car was constantlly over 100 mph and was over 5000 rpm for a long period of time lol
blackedout010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #27
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser View Post
It's not just bigbrother watching you, your insurance co will also attain records... good luck if your going to do trackdays or 1/4 mile runs. If your into posing no need to disconect..
well now that I do agree with. If I am going to make a track run I will be disconnecting the fuse to the onstar. The only thing that makes on star great is the accident stuff and if im on a track there will be people standing by for me If i get in an accident so everything will be good anyway.
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #28
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
i think i will just elave it in, i mean, if the here me, cool, i have nothing to hide from the FBI, and im sure they are not interested in what i have to say anyway. and im getting a V6, so i wont be taking it to the track, and if i leave my keys in the car...its only a phone call away from being unlocked