Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #15
BDBiker

Drives: Black 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Been there and done that, you are very lucky, it could have been much worse as in my case. As mentioned before, notify your insurance as soon as possible, check your insurance card for a 24 hour phone number and do it tomorrow. Best of luck in the repair!
Old 12-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #16
Cheetoh

Drives: 2011 Callaway SC572, 2000 Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Don't play that game. That is what the offender is counting on.

Once your agent is notified within the time frame you will be covered no matter when the offender reports it to the insurance company.

Make a report ASAP. Let your insurance fix your Camaro and then let them worry about collecting. They have better lawyers than you do.
X2!!
Old 12-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #17
F-16 Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black
^ This.

ALWAYS contact your insurance immediately. Part of their job is to haggle, harass, and litigate the other driver/insurance company.

Your company likes you, you're a paying customer. Her company doesn't give two shits about you.

Your premium goes up regardless of who you call, as it's still an accident with you.
F-16 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:54 AM   #18
NoItsOnlyAV6_ButItRocks

Drives: 2010 2LT RS M6 IOM FlwMstr
Getting Diminished Value is tricky from what you describe. From everything I read and from the way I pursued it in my case, you make a claim for DV after your car is fixed. The thought being is that it is all fixed and good as new but because of the accident it has a diminished value..black mark on the Car Fax and all that.

You may want to consider having your insurance pay for the repairs though. That is the way I did my rear end that happened to me in May 2013. It does not (should not) affect your insurance rates since the other driver is at fault. The reason why it is good to use your insurance is they can pay the insurance shop and they can then pursue reimbursement from the other insurance company. By having the other insurance company pay for the repairs directly you need to be darn sure that if they cut you a check or the cut a check directly to the shop, that you don't sign anything that says you waive all future claims. If you do you might end up forfeiting your rights to a DV claim after the repair is done.

Then once your car is all fixed you get an appraiser to look at your car and help you write up a DV claim. Everything I read on the net was it should cost around $400. Mine was $750 but I was fine with that because he has been doing it for 30 years that when I handed them his report they settled fast.

But here is the downer. From the pictures and from what you described you are talking repaint. From what my appraiser was telling me and from what I read, your DV claim may only be successful if there is frame damage. if they just repaint the bumper or replace it that would not be enough for a DV claim. In my case, I did have frame damage so mine went smooth.
NoItsOnlyAV6_ButItRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:58 AM   #19
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runawayhacker View Post
I have not called mine yet, but I have called hers and submitted a claim. I'm also going to ask for Diminished Value Compensation. Being young and naive, what am I supposed to report to my insurance? Isn't hers supposed to pay for everything?
Yes but get ready to jump through some hoops and play games
I'm dealing with similar deal now with girlfriends car.
Good luck with those crooks
wayne watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #20
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
"Make this all go away"...?? Bit of advice...if you see a cement truck in the parking lot and a large box, RUN...
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #21
HmBuilder2

Drives: 2014 RRM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_warrior View Post
I wouldn't call your insurance. If she has valid insurance and she hit you from behind you should be good to go. If her insurance tries to jack you around then call your insurance. No need to involve your insurance if you don't have to.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG ...
Call your insurance, I know that here in CA. I have AAA insurance and my policy says that I need to notify my insurance if "Involved" in accident, weather it's my fault or not, Also were to notify DMV regardless of fault.

You pay for insurance, Let them be the ones to take care of getting your car back to normal. They are the ones to go after the other persons insurance, I know that I would rather have them do the fighting for me, They have legal teams that do just this type of stuff. That's what we pay insurance for. For them to make it right, And handle all the grief that comes with it, so we don't have to.
Just my thoughts.

I hope it all works out well for you and your back to enjoying your baby.
HmBuilder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #22
Runawayhacker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Thanks for the advice everyone. After seeing the majority of the comments recommend involving my insurance as well, I've submitted a claim. Hopefully I got it in enough time to their liking (~16 hrs). At this point, I'm not violently upset about it because it looks to be a minor repair. However, if it turns out that my parking sensors, camera, or exhaust needs to be repaired, I'll be more upset >:(

Aside from that, I'll keep you guy up to date! And seriously, thanks for the advice. It's reasons like this I like the Camaro community.
- Separate Clutch Reservoir

To-Do List
- Solo Performance Axel Back Exhaust
- Headers (Undecided)
- Tune
Runawayhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #23
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
If you are mechanically inclined and if they end up offering just a repaint you might want to ask for a cash payout.

Then you could order a new rear fascia (painted) and diffuser shipped to you.

The install is not that hard.

Last edited by intensifi; 12-14-2013 at 09:01 PM.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #24
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Depending on what shape the diffuser is in, could be repaired quite easily, small bumper patch and paint. My body shop charged 400 for a similar repair to my truck a while back and looked like brand new after. The sensor should be fine, exhaust looks fine from the pic and based on the location I wouldn't expect anything from your backup cam.

The new plastic bumpers can be repaired quite easily, I've removed them and patched + sanded them myself and just sent them to get painted. Its all about the diffuser, if the mounts are busted for the diffuser or bumper for that matter, repairing the mounts never ends up the same. And at that point most places would rather replace the piece. Bumpers are easy fixes IMO.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #25
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
To the OP, what was she offering you anyways as cash on the spot?

I'd go to bank with her, take $3000min. and call it a day

Scratch my back, I scratch yours.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #26
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I'm all about a cash settlement on the spot if I really knew what the cost was and I was making out okay on the deal. But with these cars and the cost to repaint, there's no telling.

Good luck getting it fixed.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #27
CocoaKid
CocoaKid

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by eymang View Post
You need one of these
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310463
j/k you already did everything right
Haha how did you do this, is there a kit or something? I carry one too in my car, it's right behind my seat, I spent an half hour practising whipping it out properly lol.
CocoaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #28
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
I guess I learned something from this thread - I haven't been in many accidents (knock on wood), but have been convinced to notify my insurance even if I'm not at fault (despite what I said before). Hopefully I won't have to put that newly-gained knowledge into practice (knock on wood again)...
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote