Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #43
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The Camaro out of the box is a very good vehicle. For some who see the 5th Gen as a possible super car ther is much more that can be pulled out of a ZETA II chassis. With your optional 21" wheels my first mod would be radius rod bush inserts to reduce the kick back in the steering wheel over sharp bumps. TYou have your choice of two inserts that with minimal effort and funding will make a significant difference.

Next up would be the sub-frame bush inserts to tame the rear end step out experienced under acceleration through turns over bumps. This is caused by movement in the NVH voided OEM sub-frame bushes. A set of EP1200 inserts will make a huge difference.

With just these two foundational bushes installed you will find your Camaro to be far more solid than it already is. It will be more sure footed. you will find yourself more confident behind the wheel everyu time you drive. Be careful with these mods. They are like crack cocaine -- highly addictive. You start out with one small change to a foundational bush and find you have installed a Xa Track eXtreme a few months later.

So for the non genius people such as myself, do you guys make kits like springs/sway bars and bushes(?). My car will be a bolt on auto with a 3600 stall pulling triple duty, street/track/drag. But I dont want to buy coil overs, as Im always budgeting to build the cheapest car possible.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #44
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
The models are worth the price of admission....

Yeah buddy!
You know any volunteers will be wanting to Pedderize their car afterwards... Can you help with that?
Old 10-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #45
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
I wouldn't consider myself a model, but thanks....

ps, i'm still waiting for my plane ticket for the modeling job you talked about.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #46
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
So for the non genius people such as myself, do you guys make kits like springs/sway bars and bushes(?). My car will be a bolt on auto with a 3600 stall pulling triple duty, street/track/drag. But I dont want to buy coil overs, as Im always budgeting to build the cheapest car possible.
No one really wants the cheapest. Cheap breaks. Cheap doesn't work. They want the most cost effective solution. They want to spend the least amount of money for maximum results.

The answer is yes we are offering basic to full on drag packages. For drag racing you would be most interested in the differential bushes, sub-frame bushes and rear alignment bolt kit. These will provide the most effecient transfer of power tire to strip by eliminating undesirable twisting in the IRS. The eXtreme alignment bolts will provide adequate range to go to the positive side of camber so when the rear end squats, the tire contact patch is square to the pavement for maximum power transfer. Your solution for the most cost effective drag package is found in these bushes and bolts.

Mike will post up links to the part numbers.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #47
Sean@Phastek

Drives: 2010 Camaro X5 Turbo
Quote:
Pedders 2010 Chevrolet Camaro Suspension Evaluation - Page 4 - Wheels and Tires

The wheels and tires are too big in circumference and diameter. We don't understand why GM used a set of tires and wheels better suited to an SUV.
So saying the stock 20" and 21" wheels & tires from GM are too big on the Camaro for best performance... what size do you recommend? 19" or 18"? x9.5" front & x11" rear?

Thanks!
Sean@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #48
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!

Drives: Raptor
I think the 20" wheels and tires are very nice. You can nit pick things up and down the car that could be better. If you take a look at it from the big picture,and the price tag, it is a freakin home run. I know you've indicated it's a good example,"out of the box", but then you say stuff like it has suv wheels.
If you plan to track your car or drive it in,"spirited" excursions, there are things you'll want to change. And money dictates where you start. I buy into the program that you upgrade suspension first when you have decent power to open. Knowing what I know now I would do drop springs and sway bars or if you have the money, coilovers. Drop the center of gravity and increase spring rate. It has an amazing effect on the cars handling. Then you decide what is cost effective for you as well as the criteria of importance/desire.
CGM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #49
ahart04
most bang for your buck

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM/BLK RALLYS
how could you not be happy with that monster...
Old 10-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #50
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@Phastek View Post
So saying the stock 20" and 21" wheels & tires from GM are too big on the Camaro for best performance... what size do you recommend? 19" or 18"? x9.5" front & x11" rear?

Thanks!
The key words are best performance.

The track on a stock Camaro along with the staggered tire and wheel package will always produce heavy understeer. It is built into the package and cannot be tuned out without altering the track. You can certainly make it better with suspension tweaks, but the core issue is the track, wheel and tire package.

It is important to keep in mind that the OEM Camaro is a great car. I am talking about taking it to the next level. Most people will not run my tire and wheel package for many reasons. That doesn't make our selection wrong.

Our wheel and tire package increased the front track by 2" and the rear track by 1/2" for a net front track increase of 1.5". That is a huge benefit and gain. We did not want to increase unsprung weight with the tires and wheels. Moving up to a 305 / 30 / 20 would have increased the weight as it is such a huge increase in tire. Add to that we run 10.5" rims all around and even the lightest wheel would have offered minimal weight reduction. Using a 19" wheel we dropped almost 40 pounds of unsprung weight or roughly 10 pounds per wheel. That is huge from a handling perspective.

Now consider the brakes. 10 pounds spinning at 100 MPH takes a significant amount of braking power to stop. Remove 10 pounds and your brakes just improved -- a lot.

Next is the rear end effective gear change from a 3.45 to a 377 via the wheel and tire change. The car pulls like a truck and keeps right on pulling through 175MPH. That is as fast as we have taken it and it showed no signs of breathing hard.

I could continue to write a book on this, but this should be sufficient to help people understand why I refer to the OEM wheel and tire package as SUV or truck style. I do not say this to be offensive. It is just my opinion and opinions are like XXXholes. Everyone has one. We have several clients with Xa coilovers and 22" rims. The cars look great. I really mean that -- they are bad aXX. Our clients are very pleased with the way their cars perform and handle and I would have to say they are right. Would that be my choice for the best performance no, but best performance is not the ultimate goal for everyone.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #51
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM2SSRS View Post
I think the 20" wheels and tires are very nice. You can nit pick things up and down the car that could be better. If you take a look at it from the big picture,and the price tag, it is a freakin home run. I know you've indicated it's a good example,"out of the box", but then you say stuff like it has suv wheels.
If you plan to track your car or drive it in,"spirited" excursions, there are things you'll want to change. And money dictates where you start. I buy into the program that you upgrade suspension first when you have decent power to open. Knowing what I know now I would do drop springs and sway bars or if you have the money, coilovers. Drop the center of gravity and increase spring rate. It has an amazing effect on the cars handling. Then you decide what is cost effective for you as well as the criteria of importance/desire.
You are spot on with the exception of where to start. Radius and sub-frame inserts will be hands down the biggest bang for the buck upgrades on a Camaro.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #52
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
I have been working on kits last week and nearly all day today. We have or will have about 25 kits available for Camaro soon merlin. Most are up right now, but the pricing is not correct.

Once they are all done, I have a simple outline that explains the differences between them.

Now why so many? We have found the Camaro is particularly sensitive to tire sizes, and rear hp gains. Not everyone who wants say a track system will require the same back end support. if you are running 500 rear hp versus 400hp, there are some needed support differences. Plus there are budgets to consider, heights of tires, and a hole plethora of items. So we have positioned ourselves to offer you kits, that best meet your needs, budgets, and give a discount over buying parts individually. Plus, I am here and available if you get stuck on several and need to chat.

Here is what the kits will be:
2010 CAMARO PACKAGES Click on Link To Peddes Site PEDDERS PART CODE
CAMARO Coil Drop Kit 1 CAMAROKIT1
Camaro Coil Performance Drop Kit 2 CAMAROKIT2
CAMARO Street 1 CAMARO STREET I
Camaro Serious Street 1 Packge CAMAROSERIOUSST

CAMARO SPORT PACKAGE CAMARO SPORT

Camaro Touring DROP kit 1 CAMAROTOURKITI
Camaro Touring Perf. drop Kit II CAMAROTOURPERF
CAMARO TOURING EXT. Xa kit CAMAROXATOUREXT

Camaro Street II drop kit 1 CAMAROSTREETII
Camaro Street ii Plus drop kit 1 CAMAROSTR2PLUS
Camaro Street II drop Kit II CAMARO STREET II
Camaro Street ii Plus drop kit II CAMAROPERSTR2PLS

CAMARO EXTR, XA STREET PERF. CAMAROXASTREETEX
Street Extreme XA CAMAROXASTREET
StreetII Extreme XA PLUS CAMAROSCSTIIPL

SERIOUS Track II Perf. Drop Kit II CAMAROSERTRK2PER
Track II Perf. Drop Kit II CAMAROTRACKIIPER
SERIOUS Track II Drop Kit 1 CAMAROSERIOUSTK2
Track II Drop Kit 1 CAMAROTRACKII

CAMARO Extreme XA Track CAMAROXATRACKEXT
CAMARO SERIOUS Ext. XA Track CAMAROSEREXTXATK

Camaro BASIC DRAG STRIP KIT CAMAROBASICDRAG
Camaro Drag bushing Kit LEVEL 2 CAMARODRAGKIT2
Camaro Extreme Drag Package CAMAROEXTDRAG
Camaro Extreme XA Drag Package CAMAROEXTXADRAG

hOPE THIS HELPS.
yOU CAN SEE THESE KITS AT:

https://secure.merlinsoftware.com.au...AMARO+PACKAGES

THANKS
MIKE
DMS

Last edited by Info@PeddersUSA.com; 10-07-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #53
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
I have been working on kits last week and nearly all day today.

Sounds like yall have been working way to hard lately! Sooooo I have a easy question that requires no work just a response.......

When you going to spill some beans on those special GM products???
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #54
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
Sounds like yall have been working way to hard lately! Sooooo I have a easy question that requires no work just a response.......

When you going to spill some beans on those special GM products???

After GM announces them!!

One already has been announced buyt I still cannot dfiscuss all that I know.
Sorry
mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #55
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
After GM announces them!!

One already has been announced buyt I still cannot dfiscuss all that I know.
Sorry
mike
dms
I know you cant discuss it.... Im just harrasin yall
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #56
YouEnvyMySS

Drives: 85½ Porsche 944; 2002 Ford Exp
"The Camaro out of the box is a very good vehicle. For some who see the 5th Gen as a possible super car ther is much more that can be pulled out of a ZETA II chassis. With your optional 21" wheels my first mod would be radius rod bush inserts to reduce the kick back in the steering wheel over sharp bumps. TYou have your choice of two inserts that with minimal effort and funding will make a significant difference."

GREAT reply!! Makes perfect sense... I could see you adding two new SKUs to the inventory for quick/easy ordering: one for the first set of bushings described; and one for both sets...

Tks again (and sorry for not quoting all of post #37! got to be too hard to do on iPhone)

YouEnvyMySS is offline   Reply With Quote