Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #15
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by plan-b View Post
That sucks, Pony. I'd feel pretty miffed over that. Do you have the language handy? I'm wondering if it might be written with legal semantics so that they don't have to cover repairs of someone cuts it or if a tree branch falls and rips it. Or is it written in a way where there's no uncertain terms that all bets are off with regard to the top?
They all state "convertible and vinyl tops" and I had GM customer service also tell me the convertible tops were not covered. Maybe they will chime in here and answer the question about top material vs mechanisms; they seem to jump in on everything else.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:32 AM   #16
Tiberious
Old '71 Owner

Drives: 11 Camaro Vert;97 Malibu;03 Venture
***crickets***
Tiberious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:34 AM   #17
triplethreat

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS Conv
I was told and also read where the extended GM warranty does not cover the tops. That is why I didn't buy it also.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #18
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
I was sold a 3rd party extended warrenty when I bought my 2012 Convertible but cancelled it when I got the actual document and found out that it did not cover the top.

In answer to the OP's question, I don't believe the top is any better on the '12 than the '11. In fact one of the other members who got a very late production '12 and was told all the fixes were applied on the production line is now experiencing the same problems he had with his '11. That's in another thread in this section.

You have the advantage of knowing about the top problems BEFORE buying, as not everyone did. With that in mind, you might want to think about what your expectations are from a convertible top before buying it. If you really want a Camaro convertible and are willing to either accept some rub marks and wrinkles or don't mind spending a lot of time fighting with the dealer, buy it. But if you expect the top on your car to look like new a year later, this probably isn't the car for you unless you like buying lottery tickets and are willing to take a chance. I spent my time researching drivetrain and performance stuff before buying and never even thought to check into the top. After all, GM had been making Camaro convertibles for 45 years, surely they had the tops figured out. After 6 months, I have some of the rub marks and wrinkles but I like the car so much I'm ignoring that for now. If I get holes or leaks or if GM actually comes out with a real fix, then I'll do something.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #19
70CopperZ28

Drives: 2011 RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
I was sold a 3rd party extended warrenty when I bought my 2012 Convertible but cancelled it when I got the actual document and found out that it did not cover the top.

In answer to the OP's question, I don't believe the top is any better on the '12 than the '11. In fact one of the other members who got a very late production '12 and was told all the fixes were applied on the production line is now experiencing the same problems he had with his '11. That's in another thread in this section.

You have the advantage of knowing about the top problems BEFORE buying, as not everyone did. With that in mind, you might want to think about what your expectations are from a convertible top before buying it. If you really want a Camaro convertible and are willing to either accept some rub marks and wrinkles or don't mind spending a lot of time fighting with the dealer, buy it. But if you expect the top on your car to look like new a year later, this probably isn't the car for you unless you like buying lottery tickets and are willing to take a chance. I spent my time researching drivetrain and performance stuff before buying and never even thought to check into the top. After all, GM had been making Camaro convertibles for 45 years, surely they had the tops figured out. After 6 months, I have some of the rub marks and wrinkles but I like the car so much I'm ignoring that for now. If I get holes or leaks or if GM actually comes out with a real fix, then I'll do something.

I appreciate your honesty and I am sorry you guys dealing with this. My wife has her heart on a Camaro so hopefully we will get the winning lottery ticket! If not I'll join the club and will just leave the top down rain or shine!

We looked at a 12 convert today but found out it has been on the lot since last September going to pass on that one for a fresher one.
70CopperZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #20
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70CopperZ28 View Post
My wife has her heart on a Camaro so hopefully we will get the winning lottery ticket! If not I'll join the club and will just leave the top down rain or shine!
BUT you are making an INFORMED decision. Good for you. We did not have that luxury.
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #21
70CopperZ28

Drives: 2011 RS Convertible
Guys, as much as we wanted to buy a Camaro convert we ended up buying a 2013 Mustang premium convertible. As a Chevy guy this hurts my heart to buy a Ford but after my wife drove the Mustang she loved it. The Camaro looks bad ass but the top issues was a player in the decision and the price of the Mustang was $4,000 less. Never thought I would have a Ford in the garage, but at least it's not a another foreign car like the one it replaced.

Take care!

70CopperZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #22
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Guys, as much as we wanted to buy a Camaro convert we ended up buying a 2013 Mustang premium convertible. As a Chevy guy this hurts my heart to buy a Ford but after my wife drove the Mustang she loved it. The Camaro looks bad ass but the top issues was a player in the decision and the price of the Mustang was $4,000 less. Never thought I would have a Ford in the garage, but at least it's not a another foreign car like the one it replaced.

Take care!

great looking 'stang!!!

if I had known about the top problems prior to my purchase, I would have gone mustang also!!!
but I liked the look and driveability of the camaro a little better than the mustang. but taking the top problems into consideration...would have been mustang all the way!!!
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #23
totgate

Drives: 2012 Eurospec Convertible Manual
Quote:

Take care!

Well, a lot of people DONT have any problems with their tops. Its a shame that people get scared away from these great cars... Your car looks great though.. :-)

/Tobbe
totgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #24
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by totgate View Post
Well, a lot of people DONT have any problems with their tops. Its a shame that people get scared away from these great cars... Your car looks great though.. :-)
Yet the fact remains that people ARE getting scared away. If I would've known about these issues, I would have at least thought about looking elsewhere (or a coupe). But many of us bought these on faith, and now my faith is fading as I have not had my concerns about longevity and the current pinch/rubs addressed to my satisfaction by GM or GM customer service.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #25
pensphan87

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS Convertible Bliss
After seeing the Camaro concept car at an auto show, all other cars where out.

I would keep looking at new and used till you find the one that speaks to you.
When you find it, top issues wont matter. Any part can be fixed, V6-V8 your call.

Nice 70! Buy it! Drive it! Love it!
pensphan87 is offline   Reply With Quote