Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #43
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
Hmmmmmmmmm. camaro was rated at 12.9 and no rivew has gotten there? jet the gxp is rated the same and is heavier? now the mustang is very close with the track pack in performance. moreover the 0-60 times are way off 4.7 5.0, braking in the mustang is better?.

caliman says; not bad for a fatty.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #44
eddiehaskell

Drives: Pinto
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
Mustang Skid pad 0.91g
Camaro Skid paf 0.88g

Mustang Slalom 68.4mph
Camaro Slalom 68.6mph

Mustang 60-0 107ft
Camaro 60-0 109ft

Mustang 0.60 4.9
Camaro 0-60 4.7

Not too shabby camaro
Skid pad and slalom are just numbers and don't tell us anything about handling.

60-0 is a useless stat. What matters is how well the brakes hold up after repeated use. Take a peak at C&D's lightning lap and you'll see how the Mustang's brakes held up on the track (i.e. not good).

0-60 is also useless. It's too dependent on gearing, traction and driver. What DOES matter is MPH. The Camaro's trap speed is only 1-2 mph slower than the 500hp GT500....
eddiehaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #45
eddiehaskell

Drives: Pinto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliman93230 View Post
Hmmmmmmmmm. camaro was rated at 12.9 and no rivew has gotten there? jet the gxp is rated the same and is heavier? now the mustang is very close with the track pack in performance. moreover the 0-60 times are way off 4.7 5.0, braking in the mustang is better?.

caliman says; not bad for a fatty.
The Mustang isn't even on the same planet. The Mustang traps 103-104mph. The Camaro is trapping 111mph.

Saying the Mustang is very close to the Camaro is equivalent to saying the 2010 Mustang GT isn't much slower than the 500hp GT500.
eddiehaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #46
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
OK, I'm still reserving judgment until I sit and drive in one, but this article confirmed my worst fears and there's a really good chance I'm gonna pass on the Camaro. The big turn-off for me has been size and weight, but I held out hope that the Camaro would be just like the G8 and hide that weight and seem to shrink. Nope. Not only is the Camaro big and heavy, but they say it feels heavier! Sorry, nope, that's not going to work for me. If I wanted to drive a tank, I would have joined the army. At least their tanks have really big guns attached. And a steering wheel that hurts your hands? Erm, no. OK so the bad interior materials were confirmed, but I can overlook that as long as the rest of the car is good and nothing I touch is bad. But you're touching the steering wheel 99.9% of the time you're in the car! Combined with the poor interior materials and bad ergonomic design, I find it really hard to justify making this stretch. The numbers are still great and it is one of the sexiest cars on the road, but the price is a big financial stretch for me and there may be too many downsides to justify that.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #47
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
You're reading too far into it...but that's all I'm gonna say because you said you're gonna drive it: That's all someone could ask.

fwiw; All the articles combined gave me this impression: The Mustang felt lighter (predictable), and the Challenger felt dull and far more lumbering....But if you're looking for the car to handle like a Miata.............
Old 03-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #48
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabuljba View Post
can someone explain what this exactly means ''The combination is good for drama-free 0-60-mph sprints of 5 seconds (or 4.7 seconds with a 1-foot rollout like on a drag strip).''
read it at edmunds. thanks
This explains it: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=130988

It also explains why Edmunds numbers tend to be lower than other reviewers. Different procedures. It is just the same as two dinos showing different numbers for the same car. Must compare apples to apples.

Just a dream away
Old 03-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #49
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
I've been so busy reading all the reviews, I forgot about the video at Edmunds.

Thanks c_c!

I just watched it, and holy xxxx!!! Now that's my kind of fun!
Glad to help out whenever I can
Old 03-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #50
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It

Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
OK, I'm still reserving judgment until I sit and drive in one, but this article confirmed my worst fears and there's a really good chance I'm gonna pass on the Camaro. The big turn-off for me has been size and weight, but I held out hope that the Camaro would be just like the G8 and hide that weight and seem to shrink. Nope. Not only is the Camaro big and heavy, but they say it feels heavier! Sorry, nope, that's not going to work for me. If I wanted to drive a tank, I would have joined the army. At least their tanks have really big guns attached. And a steering wheel that hurts your hands? Erm, no. OK so the bad interior materials were confirmed, but I can overlook that as long as the rest of the car is good and nothing I touch is bad. But you're touching the steering wheel 99.9% of the time you're in the car! Combined with the poor interior materials and bad ergonomic design, I find it really hard to justify making this stretch. The numbers are still great and it is one of the sexiest cars on the road, but the price is a big financial stretch for me and there may be too many downsides to justify that.
which article said the steering wheel hurt your hand ?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #51
diV6

Drives: 94 camaro z28
Skyman 08--

I am not suprised that the braking distances are about the same. Breaking distance is more about tires than the brakes. The brakes handle constency and fade more than anything else in teh braking process. As almost all brakes are strong enough to lock up the tires, as far as distance, the tires matter most. This is not to say that the brembos are useless, they will perform better in repeated braking, and are far better in heavy use.
diV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #52
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Maybe the "Driving Enthusiasts" that Chevy says it's targeting with the SS don't obsess over interior material quality or that the opening for the trunk is laughably small. "Driving Enthusiast" is Chevy-speak for traditional Camaro guys. But the so-called "Life Enthusiasts" (?) that Chevy wants to check out the V6 models might be a bit more finicky. But then, scads of people bought Mustangs even when that car's interior was made of synthetic cheese, so....
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #53
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarino View Post
which article said the steering wheel hurt your hand ?
Edmunds:

Quote:
The steering wheel, which is so overly styled as to be terribly uncomfortable, is a little bigger than we'd like — another attribute that makes the Camaro seem larger than it is.

Just a dream away
Old 03-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #54
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
ok for the most part of these reviews the camaro out right kills the competition, Because is faster. 0-60 and 1/4 mile is all that matters in US of A, for the most part.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #55
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It

Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Edmunds:
i never trust anything until i try it (that's just one guys opinion, notice no one else out of like 9 reviews said that, they didn't even mention teh steering wheel actually)

you have your opinion but, i would hold off judgment on how the steering wheel FEELS until you actually drive it

and Edmunds= Grain of Salt
Old 03-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #56
stovt001

Read my post. I said I would reserve judgment until I experienced one myself.

The other reviews don't spend much time talking about the interior, or anything other than performance.

Just a dream away