Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 12-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #743
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
It doesn't sound like it would be smart for me to do it. I'd hate to destroy my engine over a simple 150.00 or so.

150.00? That is like 3 hours of partying for you. Take a break for one night and you'll have it covered...
Old 12-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #744
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
Here in lies my problem with FI. I am afraid of the added power and what it will do to the other parts like tranny, bottom end, rear end etc.. I am thinking of just building mine.
You'll have fun whatever method you choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I too was afraid of the added power. Now that I have it, I love it and fear no longer... it's addictive. I blame GTAHVIT.

Yeah, he is just a bad influence.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #745
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean in your above post, PQ, but the 3.4" pulley will produce more boost than the 3.6" (smaller pulley, more boost). The standard maggie kit for a stock car comes with the 3.8" pulley. You have headers (like I do) which produces more air flow. So, to get the same amount of boost through a motor with headers, Magnuson recommended that I get the 3.6" pulley to produce the same boost as the 3.8" pulley makes in a stock motor.

I am also planning to get a cam. I am not planning to change the 3.6" pulley at that time.

Sincerely,
Little Miss Know it All

PS: I only know a little about this because I just went through the same set of decisions and smart people taught me some good stuff!
I actually think he should go with the 3.8 as as safe start. My Car is a 3.8 and I've got 3" exhaust all the way back with 1 7/8" headers.

BUT! if he chose to go with the 3.4 he could get a real rich tune, and keep the car safe.

The guys that appear to be blowing pistons seem to have near 10 lbs and an AFR near 12:1 and are running WOT for too long in too high of a gear 5th and 6th.... (making an assumption)

either way we have to remember that the engine, if it detects the knock/detonation, will retard the timing... remember my exhaust rattling on the tunnel brace problem?

As long as the tuner doesn't decrease the sensitivity of the knock sensor, the ecm will retard the timing and go into "safe mode" preventing you from blowing it up...

But regardless, the 3 things you should never do at the same time for very long are run max boost at max RPM with max load on the stock bottom end.

In other words don't go WOT in 5th or 6th gear at redline for any length of time...

That's what will cause piston ring landings to fail before anything else....

I'd be willing to bet the engines we've seen blow did so at WOT... and not in 4th gear unless they'd been run hard before dropping down a gear....
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #746
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
I too was afraid of the added power. Now that I have it, I love it and fear no longer... it's addictive. I blame GTAHVIT.
I blame all this on YA'LL CHRIS, EMMA, PQ, and BRUCE look what you have done to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
You'll have fun whatever method you choose.

I appreciate it Bruce, but I bet my wallet won't

[/QUOTE]Yeah, he is just a bad influence. [/QUOTE]

And that is where it all started
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #747
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
In other words don't go WOT in 5th or 6th gear at redline for any length of time...

That's what will cause piston ring landings to fail before anything else....
In addition to GTA's scenarios is mashing the pedal at lower rpms in higher gears. This is the same reason you don't lug an engine while dyno testing...BOOM !! Have you ever seen someone engage a Nitrous system at low rpm? Usually a spectacular explosion.

Quote:
I blame all this on YA'LL CHRIS, EMMA, PQ, and BRUCE look what you have done to me

I appreciate it Bruce, but I bet my wallet won't

Yeah, he is just a bad influence. [/QUOTE]

And that is where it all started[/QUOTE]

Blame PQ, Chris and DE. I plead the fifth.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #748
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean in your above post, PQ, but the 3.4" pulley will produce more boost than the 3.6" (smaller pulley, more boost). The standard maggie kit for a stock car comes with the 3.8" pulley. You have headers (like I do) which produces more air flow. So, to get the same amount of boost through a motor with headers, Magnuson recommended that I get the 3.6" pulley to produce the same boost as the 3.8" pulley makes in a stock motor.

I am also planning to get a cam. I am not planning to change the 3.6" pulley at that time.

Sincerely,
Little Miss Know it All

PS: I only know a little about this because I just went through the same set of decisions and smart people taught me some good stuff!
I have no cats. I should be flowing about as good as you can. If I can't get to a good and reputable shop, I'll do the 3.8 and buy the 3.6 too, and try them both. Unless I have to travel a long way to get it done, then I'll just do the 3.6 and call it done. Problem is, I can't really take the chance of driving somewhere and staying and something go wrong and I'm stuck. Things can come up where they can't get the work done, have to order a part or something.

Quote:
Here in lies my problem with FI. I am afraid of the added power and what it will do to the other parts like tranny, bottom end, rear end etc.. I am thinking of just building mine.
Sweet. I wish I could. Time wise, would be a problem.

Quote:
Me too.

Quote:
150.00? That is like 3 hours of partying for you. Take a break for one night and you'll have it covered...
Hmmmmm, i fI stay home this Saturday, I could do it.

Woops, Zebra will be coming in. I'll have to sacrifice another time. lol

Quote:
Emma did it to me. She got it done first.
Quote:
Blame PQ, Chris and DE. I plead the fifth.
I'm a follower. Chris is the leader.

Wait......................................... Uh................ I"m thinking the SST is the Jones we all chase....
Old 12-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #749
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Make life simple, just put the 3.6" pulley on your car. You won't be happy with the lower boost from the 3.8" pulley on a car with headers. Ok, I'm done saying "get the 3.6" pulley." My next words about that will be "I told you so."

This is so exciting!
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #750
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
If you're planning on doing the cam soon, then I say stick with the 3.8". Then measure with the cam and get the right pulley. If it's going to be a while, then pony up for the 3.6". Welcome to the world of boost!
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #751
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Make life simple, just put the 3.6" pulley on your car. You won't be happy with the lower boost from the 3.8" pulley on a car with headers. Ok, I'm done saying "get the 3.6" pulley." My next words about that will be "I told you so."

This is so exciting!

Those words are what I will be trying to avoid. hahaha

I'm gonna have him send the 3.8 and I'll buy a 3.6 and have both when I take it to a shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
If you're planning on doing the cam soon, then I say stick with the 3.8". Then measure with the cam and get the right pulley. If it's going to be a while, then pony up for the 3.6". Welcome to the world of boost!
It will be a while. But, much like Emma, I say that KNOWING in the back of my mind it'll probably be sooner than later.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #752
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

Those words are what I will be trying to avoid. hahaha

I'm gonna have him send the 3.8 and I'll buy a 3.6 and have both when I take it to a shop.

It will be a while. But, much like Emma, I say that KNOWING in the back of my mind it'll probably be sooner than later.
Exactly...at Camarofest I was thinking headers were as far as I was going. Well...check the signature!
Old 12-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #753
Darth_Emma

I was only going to do a cold air intake... hahahahaha!
Old 12-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #754
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
I was only going to do a cold air intake... hahahahaha!
Emma...I'm still mad at you for suggesting that you might sell your Savinis!
Old 12-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #755
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
Emma...I'm still mad at you for suggesting that you might sell your Savinis!
If you knew what Savini did to me, you'd understand why I might want to sell them.

I hope you never need customer service from them. I can tell you I will never do business with them again.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #756
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
If you knew what Savini did to me, you'd understand why I might want to sell them.

I hope you never need customer service from them. I can tell you I will never do business with them again.
Ouch...sorry to hear that. So far I'm loving mine.

Sorry Randy...back on topic.

Tags
camaro of the week, the circle