Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #155
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
The new Camaro is a 2010 model and has all the 2010 model requirements. It's already incorporating all the heavy safety standards. If the Challenger and Mustang aren't already 2010 compliant then the mustang will soon become a Pig and the Challenger will become a Hippopotamus when they add the changes.
^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #156
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Hmm... 422 horsepower V8 possible for the 2011 mustang?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AV-Z0Rr5MM&feature=related

Sorry if this a repost or if this possibility has already been discussed/debunked, but I just saw it for the first time today.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #157
Jinx
Owner of Shunt

Drives: 2001 Mustang GT vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Not so sure about that my friend, lasts I heard Chrysler is going to pull a GT500 on us, they were going to contract somebody to supercharge the 6.1 , and I'm against it a little bit, by supercharging when can gain some millage but, I hope this rumor is false, and if it were to happen I don't see this happening till/ IF the Z28 comes out in a couple of years

And to get backed on topic, do people really think the new mustang V8 would be 300 HP, get real, they seen the Camaro specs, they seen the challys specs, do you really think ford is going to let GM and Chrysler step on them like that, me Hell no expect a 400 HP monster, Ford is riding on this just as GM and Chrysler are riding on the maro and chally, they need money plain in simple and in order to do that eliminate the competition

Ford didnt seem to budge when GM started putting LT1s into Camaro year ago. Ford's answer: Modular 4.6L.

Ford didnt seem to try too hard when GM started putting LS1s into Camaros in 1998. Ford's answer PI (power improvement): Modular 4.6L

If we start talking about 03-04 Cobras, GT500s; then what..... we are still saying that the only decent Mustangs made after 1993 were the top tier versions. Great. The real concern to me is the average joes V8 and V6s. GM seems to win this one.

I thinking it pointless to compare V6 Camaros to a Mustang GT and to compare a Camaro SS to Chally SRT8.

Is it funny that a V6 holds a candle to a Mustang GT. Sure.

Is it funny that a Camaro SS can hang or prolly beat a Challenger SRT8. Sure.

But when we get down to it, its about trim levels.

Compare a Challenger R/T, Camaro SS, and Mustang GT.

While the Challenger R/T has the weight disadvantage; the Mustang GT has the power disadvantage. I think those two will run neck and neck. Which will prolly ease Ford's concern if they have any.

The Camaro SS, if it is delivered under $30k; will be the prize winner. Simple.

Same when comparing V6 to V6 to V6. A 300hp V6 Camaro wins the prize.

Support the "JINX CAMARO FUND" at http://www.zazzle.com/jinxdesign
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #158
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Ford didnt seem to budge when GM started putting LT1s into Camaro year ago. Ford's answer: Modular 4.6L.

Ford didnt seem to try too hard when GM started putting LS1s into Camaros in 1998. Ford's answer PI (power improvement): Modular 4.6L

If we start talking about 03-04 Cobras, GT500s; then what..... we are still saying that the only decent Mustangs made after 1993 were the top tier versions. Great. The real concern to me is the average joes V8 and V6s. GM seems to win this one.

I thinking it pointless to compare V6 Camaros to a Mustang GT and to compare a Camaro SS to Chally SRT8.

Is it funny that a V6 holds a candle to a Mustang GT. Sure.

Is it funny that a Camaro SS can hang or prolly beat a Challenger SRT8. Sure.

But when we get down to it, its about trim levels.

Compare a Challenger R/T, Camaro SS, and Mustang GT.

While the Challenger R/T has the weight disadvantage; the Mustang GT has the power disadvantage. I think those two will run neck and neck. Which will prolly ease Ford's concern if they have any.

The Camaro SS, if it is delivered under $30k; will be the prize winner. Simple.

Same when comparing V6 to V6 to V6. A 300hp V6 Camaro wins the prize.
Depends on how the Mustang GT runs when it has the 422-hp 5.4 V8 under the hood, as Xanthos' video implies.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #159
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
Depends on how the Mustang GT runs when it has the 422-hp 5.4 V8 under the hood, as Xanthos' video implies.
Hey hey hey hey hey! Don't read things into what I said! I merely pointed out the possibility. Its also possible that Ford keeps using the V8 they're using now. Just seems that a lot of american cars are getting stuff from australian cars lately.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #160
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevys View Post
I look forrwad to seeing you on the street and the dragsrip. You are nuts. You will not out run a v8 mustang. I welcome you to try me anytime. 05 and up of course. This argument was made long ago abou the 4.0 having more hp than the 5.0. it boilded down to weight and torque. Lets not forget the weight of the camaro becasue we know its a pig. I will see you at the finsish line and it wont be pretty for you. 3750 lbs is heavy. LOL
A lot of guys on this thread are a little fumed about these types of challenges. I don't like them either, but I'd be glad to see what your Mach 1 does at the track after I get my SS. I'm not saying anything about winning or losing. You've got a great ride—one that Ford worked hard to make right. GM is doing the same thing with my SS, and that 2 ton beast is going to outperform most cars on the strip. Weight is not the only thing to consider in performance, so please don't disrespect our "pig." It's a beast, and we like it.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:20 PM   #161
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Hey hey hey hey hey! Don't read things into what I said! I merely pointed out the possibility. Its also possible that Ford keeps using the V8 they're using now. Just seems that a lot of american cars are getting stuff from australian cars lately.
- Xanthos
Relax, I said your video implied it, not you.

Ford will more than likely be using this engine for the next Mustang, since the name of the new engine is "Boss," and that tends to be under a Mustang's hood.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:07 PM   #162
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
A lot of guys on this thread are a little fumed about these types of challenges. I don't like them either, but I'd be glad to see what your Mach 1 does at the track after I get my SS. I'm not saying anything about winning or losing. You've got a great ride—one that Ford worked hard to make right. GM is doing the same thing with my SS, and that 2 ton beast is going to outperform most cars on the strip. Weight is not the only thing to consider in performance, so please don't disrespect our "pig." It's a beast, and we like it.
Same goes to the guys trashing the challenger. Btw the challenger will not be supercharged from factory. Unlike other companies they know true muscle is pure engine so that whole SC challenger rumor it is false. 2010 will be a 6.4 or nothing period.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #163
kevin2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
lol. we start talking about modding then everything about these cars is going to change. but stock for stock is all i've been talking about. but yes a good debate is great.
You want me to be brutally honest right now? Once modding starts it will cost me alot more money to mod my car than the ls3, it has always been like that and it sucks. I'm no fanboy so I will admit that but I personally like the challenger just like those who buy camaros like that car more.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #164
kevin2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
Relax, I said your video implied it, not you.

Ford will more than likely be using this engine for the next Mustang, since the name of the new engine is "Boss," and that tends to be under a Mustang's hood.

Wait are you talking about their 6.2? they dropped it not too long ago.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #165
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
The Challenger will not be supercharged from factory.
Beginning in '09 Steve Saleen's new company SMS (he can't use his own last name as the rights to it belong to the investment group to which he sold his old company) will begin selling upgraded Challenger R/Ts. (He won't be using the more expensive SRT8 version with the 6.1L hemi, in order to keep costs down and his profit margin up.) SMS will offer a superchargered 5.7L hemi Challenger R/T (with stock internals) rated at 500+hp and a supercharged 5.7L with forged internals rated much higher. They will not be cheap.

Saleen knows exactly how to do this. His business model is based on his own history of modifying Mustangs for years. Saleen built his Mustang business up before all the other Mustang tuners joined in (Roush, Steeda, Griggs Racing, etc.). Now he'll be one of the first to sell modified Challengers. He won't be doing Mustangs (he'd have to compete against his namesake company there), but he may sell modified Camaros in addition to Challengers.

PS - My owned-since-new '87 Fiero GT V6 5-speed (black with grey factory leather and optional factory powered subwoofer) just turned 38,000 miles on the odometer today. It has been my daily driver since I sold my white '88 Fiero GT V6 5-speed in 2001.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #166
Craig

Drives: ‘23 SS1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Well you're the expert, so I guess I won't bother telling you that every dyno varies depending on too many factors to count. I know for a fact there are at least ten other dynos that would say we're both wrong. I'm just giving you what I read out of a magazine test.
My dyno was done on at a Mustang website-sponsored dyno day. It turned 192rwhp while the brand new (at the time) '99s 5-speed GT's were putting down 22x rwhp one after another. Autos were typically 21x. Same dyno, same conditions, same day. That is what these cars will turn, on average on a Dynojet. I'm giving you real world experience, not something I read in a magazine once. Of course dynos vary but you're the one quoting specific numbers amd your numbers are atypical. The only exception is if a Mustang dyno was used, those numbers always seem to be about 10% less than what you'll get on a Dynojet.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #167
kevin2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
Beginning in '09 Steve Saleen's new company SMS (he can't use his own last name as the rights to it belong to the investment group to which he sold his old company) will begin selling upgraded Challenger R/Ts. (He won't be using the more expensive SRT8 version with the 6.1L hemi, in order to keep costs down and his profit margin up.) SMS will offer a superchargered 5.7L hemi Challenger R/T (with stock internals) rated at 500+hp and a supercharged 5.7L with forged internals rated much higher. They will not be cheap.

Saleen knows exactly how to do this. His business model is based on his own history of modifying Mustangs for years. Saleen built his Mustang business up before all the other Mustang tuners joined in (Roush, Steeda, Griggs Racing, etc.). Now he'll be one of the first to sell modified Challengers. He won't be doing Mustangs (he'd have to compete against his namesake company there), but he may sell modified Camaros in addition to Challengers.

PS - My owned-since-new '87 Fiero GT V6 5-speed (black with grey factory leather and optional factory powered subwoofer) just turned 38,000 miles on the odometer today. It has been my daily driver since I sold my white '88 Fiero GT V6 5-speed in 2001.

Sorry , I thought you meant the SRT models. Yea saleen is doing special editions for Dodge for the 5.7. But those are probably goign to be overpriced like a mother. Plus vortech has a great kit out with 3 year warranty right now which IMO is better than saleens although your not just getting a SC with Saleen.

But once again my bad for not specifying, and yea I think he said he will be doing camaros as well.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #168
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
So...that makes the rumors list I've heard about the 2011 Mustang GT grow even longer...

310hp 4.6L
~350 5.0L
400hp 5.0L
~380hp EcoBoost V6
both the Ecoboost V6, AND a 5.0L V8...(similar to L99 + LS3)
400hp 6.2L

and recently added:
422hp 5.4L

Geeze...this is tougher than trying to guess the Camaro's powertrain was...